Half Japanese is a group of independent Rock Lo-fi formed by the brothers Jad and David Fair between 1975 and 1977. Just like The Shaggs, the Fair brothers are self-educated musicians and deeply nonconventional. Their his vintage and hard oscillates between naivety of amateur and experimentation of avant-garde.
Their strange songs speak about monsters and supernatural (influenced by science fiction films), in addition to more conventional topics. They said besides that their songs were “monstrous love songs or songs”.
One counts among the fans of Half Japanese, PEN Jillette which helped them to leave some their albums on his label 50 Skidillion Watts, then later Kurt Cobain which took them in first part for its round of 1993.
With time, David Fair became less implied, leaving with final the group to marry. Jad Fair then invited other musicians who contribuérent to form a more coherent sound and more organized.
Among those of the regular collaborators like Mark Jickling and Don Fleming and of the prestigious guests like Moe Tucker, Fred Frith or John Zorn. In addition, Jad Fair recorded several albums with Daniel Johnston.
The history and the influence of the group were reported in 1993 in the documentary one of Jeff Feuerzeig: Half Japanese: The Band That Would Be King
- Half Alive (1977)
- Calling All Girls 7" (1977)
- Mono/No No 7" (1978)
- Half Gentlemen/Not Beasts (1980)
- Loud (1981)
- Spy/I know how it Feels… Bad/My Knowledge Was Wrong 7" (1981)
- Horrible (1982)
- 50 Skidillion Watts Live (1984)
- Our Solar System (1985)
- Sing No Evil (1985)
- Music To Strip By (1987) -- (1993) Re-release has no-claims bonus tracks
- U.S. Teens Are Spoiled Bums 7" (1988)
- Charmed Life (1988)
- Real Cool Time/What Can I Do/Monopoly EP (1989)
- the Band That Would Be King (1989)
- We Are They Who Ache with Amorous Coils (1990)
- T For Texas/Go Go Go Go 7" (1990)
- Everybody Knows, Twang 1 EP (1991)
- 4 Furnace Kids EP (1991)
- Eye off the Hurricane/Said and Gives/U.S. Teens are Spoiled Bums/Daytona Beach EP (1991)
- Fire In the Sky (1993)
- Postcard EP (1991)
- Best Of Half Japanese (1993)
- Boo: Live in Europe 1 (1994)
- Hot (1995)
- Greatest Hits (1995)
- Best Of Half Japanese vol. 2 (1995)
- Bone Head (1997)
- Heaven Feels (1997)
- Hello (2001)
- Half Japanese Fan Site
- Half Japanese in website of Trouser Close
- Half Japanese band site in the site of Alternative Tentacles
- website official of Jad Fair
- Epitonic.com: Half Japanese tracks of " Hello"
|Random links:||22 de junio | List international telephone codes by code | Plastid | Suzon | Flodday (Vatersay) | Charles Porter | Rajah|