See also: Roussy
BiographyResulting from a calvinist family which had fled the the Cevennes after the revocation of the edict of Nantes, it begins his medical studies with Geneva in 1895, then is registered at the medical college of Paris, where it is named internal in 1901. It is Jules Dejerine, him so born in Suisse and emigrated in Paris, which is its Master of thesis. In 1907, Roussy acquires French nationality and marries Henriette Thomson, girl of a former Prime Minister.
It is by visiting several German institutes of pathology that to him the idea has just created in France of the specialized centres against cancer. At 40 years, he becomes qualified schoolteacher of Pathological anatomy. During the First World War, he is chief of the service of Neurologie of the 7th military region of Besancon, where he publishes several articles on the psychiatric consequences of the war and the after-effects of the medullary wounds. In 1926, it becomes titular pulpit of Pathological anatomy. He is elected senior of the medical college in 1933, then vice-chancellor of the Académie of Paris in 1937.
In parallel, it creates with the Hôpital Paul-Bush, on the heights of Villejuif, the first anti-cancer center associated with a laboratory of experimental cancerology, of which it entrusts the direction to Charles Oberling. Inaugurated under the name of Institute of cancer by Albert Lebrun in 1934, it bears the name of Institut Gustave-Roussy since 1950.
In 1939, Roussy is elected member of the Academy of Science. In 1941, it is dislocated of its functions of vice-chancellor of the Sorbonne by the Vichy government to have taken part with students in demonstrations against the German occupant. It recovers its post office with the Release, in 1944.
The end of its career is obscured by political matters. In 1947, whereas it sits at the Council of Ministers, it is shown to divert illegally funds in Suisse and must resign. Not supporting the countryside of humiliating Press of which it is the object, it makes a first suicide attempt by poisoning. It exhausts then what remains to him of energy in a legal battle that it ends up gaining and Suicide the November 30th 1948.
- 1907 : Its thesis of doctorate carries on the thalamic study of the Syndrome, still often called “syndrome of Dejerine-Roussy today”, characterized by intense pains and a reduction in the sensitivity of a half of the body.
- 1909 : Its observations on cancer are rewarded by the Lallemand price for the Academy of Science.
- 1914 : It publishes with Jean Lhermitte a treaty prefaced by Pierre Marie and entitled anatomopathologic Techniques of the sytème nervous (macroscopic anatomy and histology).
- 1926 : It describes with Gabrielle Levy the hereditary areflexic dystasy, later known under the name of syndrome of Roussy-Levy. It is known maitenant that it is about one of the many varieties of hereditary peripheral neuropathy.
- Institute Gustave-Roussy (IGR): research center and of anti-cancer care of world famous, with Villejuif.
- Biographical notes
- G. Rancurel, Names in neurology , 2001.
|Random links:||Large Stanislav | Dominic Keating | Meteorological satellite | Presso Chieri rivetted | Trekkie | Lowell_Fulson|