HydrographyThe grounds of the commune are sprinkled by the Gave d' Oloron (affluent of the Gave of Pau) and by its tributaries the Lausset and the torrent Arrieu.
Localities and hamlets
- Jasses in the North-East
- Known in the North-West
- Dognen in the east
- Moncayolle-Larrory-Mendibieu in the west
- the Hospital-Saint-Blaise in south-west
- Préchacq-Josbaig in the south.
ToponymyThe toponym Gurs is mentioned in XIe century (according to Pierre de Marca), and appears in the forms Gurz (1286, titles of Béarn), Gurtz (1385, censier of Béarn) and Feels Marti de Gurtz (1396, notaries of Navarrenx).
HistoryPaul Raymond note which the commune counted a laic abbey, vassal of the Viscount of Béarn.
In 1385, Gurs counted 35 fires and depended on the Bailliage of Navarrenx.
The Camp of Gurs
See also: Camp of Gurs
During the Second world war, Gurs accommodated a camp of internment managed by the Régime of Vichy. Initially intended for the republican Taken refuge S Spanish S, it then accommodated many Juif S, before their departure for the Camp of Drancy and Auschwitz.
Among the prisoners of this camp, there was: