Guelma (in rear Arabic RTL قالمة), called formerly Calama or Malaca, is a university town, and place chief of Wilaya bearing the same name, of the East of the Algérie.
Guelma in Figures
Town of Guelma
- Population (Hab) ~200.000
- Indicative Such: 037
Wilaya de Guelma
- Population (Hab) ~650.000
- Surface (km ²) 4.101
- Density (H/Km ²) 104,85
Armorial bearings of the cityThe armorial bearings of Guelma are made up of a blazon supported by two sheaves of Blé S of gold and surmounted, in mural crown, of a Byzantine Forteresse . The Blason itself is mouths with the frontage of Roman theater money, with the chief of gold with two intersected branches of olive-tree ( of mouths indicates the red color) .
Geography and ClimateGuelma is located in the middle of a great agricultural area at 290 m of altitude, surrounded by mountains (Maouna, Dbegh, Houara) what gives him the name of Ville plate, its area profits from a great fertility grace in particular to the Seybouse and from dam which ensures a vast perimeter of irrigation. Its agricultural and thermal resources were since mists of time the pride of this locality. It occupies also a strategic geographical position, in its capacity as crossroads in the north-eastern area of the Algérie, connecting the littoral of the Wilaya of Annaba, I.E.(internal excitation) Tarf and Skikda, with the interior regions such as Wilaya of Constantine, Oum I.E.(internal excitation) Bouagui and Souk Ahras.
Wet and sub-wet climate; pluviometry 450-600 mm/an.
Guelma in the HistoryFound libyques inscriptions with Guelma proving that the area was civilized well before the arrival of the Carthaginois or the Romains, with the Latin mentions attesting that Guelma bore already the name of “Calama”, although this name is probably of origin phenician, the history of Guelma is rich in events as its territory is strewn with sites of an astonishing originality.
Famous old historians report the accounts of battles that Jugurtha delivered in 109 to it before J.C to the Roman troops , it would have overcome, not far from the town of Guelma, precisely in mysterious the Suthul, the Roman general Postinius, one of those which made Calama antique a relatively important urban center during the 1st century of our era. It with Setifis (Sétif) was not and Hippo-Reggius (Annaba) one of the attics of Rome during after J. - C. attesting that the period of the reign of Sévers did of it one of the most prosperous areas.
During the Christian time (), Calama had Possiduss (Possidius) (which was also biographer of Saint-Augustin) like bishop and belonged to the ecclesiastical province of Numidie. Moreover Saint-Augustin and Donatus evokes the prosperity of this city. As of the invasion vandal, Possiduss went to take refuge in Hippo-Reggius and Calama fell to the capacity from Genséric. After the reconquest of “North Africa” by the Byzantine , Solomon, general of Justinien, made there build a fortress.
Came then the time from the civilization arabo-muslmane which will mark forever, the history of Calama called from now on “Guelma”. According to Ibn Khaldoun, Arab tribes, in particular the Banu Hilal, had already settled during the 9th century in this gravitational area.
The Othoman time, as for it, did not carry out change radicals in the sociocultural landscape of the city, however it left well traces it also, would be this only by some family names which one finds today.
Conquered in 1834 by the French, it accommodated several generations of colonists and of pied-noir, resistance guelmoise against colonialism ends up paying the full price, on May 8th, 1945 the city will know a massacre without precedent in its history.
And if Guelma spoke, she would say: “I was a ground of battles and passions. Throughout the centuries, water of Seybouse reddened of the blood of my brave men… I lived the Punic Wars, knew Roman colonization, and côtoyé Byzance before returning in the spirituality of Islam, to fall down in the influence of the Othomans and replonger in French colonization and to find independence finally.
- CYCMA : Complex of cycles manufacture and auto-cycles.
- Refinery of sugar
- Unit of ceramics and crockery (ECVE)
- Ain Chedakha
- Ain Ben Nadji
- Ain Echffa
- Hammam debagh (also called Hammam Meskhoutine , Hammam Marhoumin or Hammam Chellala)
- Hammam Ouled Ali
- Hammam bails
- Hammam Belhachani, Ain Larbi
Tourist sites and monuments
Roman Theater of Guelma (4.500 places)
- Roman Swimming pool with Hammam Bradaa, Héliopolis
- ancient Vestiges of Thibilis (Sellaoua Announa)
- Necropolis of Dolmen S and funerary caves of Roknia
- Large Cascade of Hammam Chellala (Hammam Dbegh)
- Plates of the cones with Ain Hessaina
- underground Lake with Bir Osmane, (Hammam Debagh)
- Cave of Djebel Taya with Bouhamdane
- Health resorts of mountain, site natural, forests of oaks, medicinal springs with Maouna
- entertaining Forest of Blessed Salah, with Bouchegouf
- Ghar e' Said (Cave of the lion)
- Ghar el' Djemaa (Cave of the team or the group)
- Hotel Mermoura
- Complex Hammam Challala
The city comprises many sports complexes:
Guelma has several sporting clubs of Football
the sporting Hope of Guelma (founded 1939)
- the Olympic Football of Guelma (founded 1947)
- Ettardji Sarri Madinet Guelma (founded on September 8th, 1977)
- Chafaai Abdelmajid, Author, man of theater and pedagog, it was one of the leadeurs of the news in Algeria pre and post-independent
- Slimane Benaïssa, Dramaturge, Homme of theater.
- Yazid Sabeg, native of Guelma, chairman of the board of the software firm CS Communication and Systems and member of that of the Institute of International relations and Strategic.
- Ahmed Achouri, Algerian poet.
Lakehal Ayat, general and Algerian politician.
- Abdallah Baali, Ambassador of Algeria in Indonesia (1993-1996) and Representing Algeria near UNO (1997-2005).
- Mohamed Esseghir Babes, Former minister for Health, President of the Economic and Social National council (CNES) since 2005
- Taïeb Boulahrouf, militant Face of national release (Algeria)|FLN before independence and Ambassador from Algeria successively in Rome, Lima, Bucharest, Buenos Aires, La Paz and Lisbon after independence
- Houari Boumediene, President of Algeria of 1965 to 1978.
- Saddek Boussena, Former minister for Energy, former President of OPEC.
- Abdallah Fadhel, Former minister for youth and the Sports, former Ambassador.
- Abdelaziz Rahabi, Ambassador of Algeria in Mexico and in Central America (1991 -1994) in Spain (1994-1998), Minister for the Culture and Transport, Government spokesman (1998-1999).
- Amar Belani, Ambassador of Algeria in Poland and Lithuania (1996-2000) and Ambassador of Algeria in Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines as from 2004.
Personality of the War of Algeria
Soudani Boudjemaa, died in the combat on April 17th, 1956 close to Koléa, at the 34 years age.
- Mustapha Seridi, after having been responsible for the Fellagha S on the level of the town of Guelma, it joined the maquis in 1956 and died on October 26th, 1956.
- Cherfa Ahmed and its son Me barek, fell to the field from honor, on Thursday, October 17, 1957. Its farm, Makèze, located with the Blessed-Marmi douar, were ransacked, its good seized and were put on sale by the colonial forces of the village Bled Gaffar which devotes its name today.
Guelma " intime"
TheaterThe municipal theater " Mahmoud Triki" fact part of the architectural landscape of the town of Guelma.
BoulevardAlthough it have many boulevards with Guelma there, only one is called " boulevard" very short, the boulevard Soudani Boudejmaa, which is one of the places more to the mode of the city, and which saw an astonishing commercial expansion.
7thWhat is commonly called " 7e" is the building which is drawn up in the center of the town of Guelma and which marries the shape of the Round not place of March 19th (in the past Place of the Memory it War memorial)
CEGA Citadel of the knowledge being drawn up in full center town holding vis-a-vis 7th, having educated generations and generations of Guelmis (Guelmois) an Institution in oneself, it acts of the fundamental school Mohamed Abdou, in the past school of Alembert.
CollegeAnother fortress of the knowledge which connects with the preceding one, it acts of the College Mahmoud Ben Mahmoud college karmet and November 1st are college recognized too.
MonumentMakam Chahid is a monument in the north of the city in memory of the martyrs of the national liberation war. It is located at the entry on a hill L. Coming from Annaba it is the first thing to be seen.
General informationThe code of the Wilaya of Guelma is the 24 , the telephone code is the 37 .
- Platform of imagery of Guelma and its area
- Guelma Tourist office and its area
- Association Joinville-le-Pont Guelma
- Scientific and Technical Assosiation of the wilaya of guelma - Ajial Al Ghad
|Random links:||Cerrone | Laguinge-Restoue | Calonectris | List Swadesh of the indonésien | School génoise (painting) | Attraction_touristique|