BeginningsBorn Eldred Gregory Peck with La Jolla in California, he was the only son of Bernice Ayres (originating in the Missouri, converted with the Catholicisme) and of Gregory Peck (pharmacist/chemist of Irish origin on the side of his/her mother and British on the side of its father, catholic). His/her paternal grandmother Catherine Ashe was related to the Irish nationalist Thomas Ashe , which took share with the Insurrection of Easter 1916 (year of birth of Peck).
In spite of their strict practice of the Catholic religion, the parents of Gregory Peck divorce whereas it is only five years old; it is then taken charges some by his grandmother. Eldred is then sent to 10 years in a catholic military academy of Los Angeles, then with the San Diego High School . Once graduate, it is registered with the San Diego State University then with Berkeley.
Starting from 1936, it starts to develop an interest for the comedy and is implied in the section of theater of Berkeley. It will appear in five parts during its years of studies. During this same time, it must work to be able to finance its studies. For one short period, he will thus work like driver of truck for an oil company, then as assistant-cook. Gregory Peck will say later its years to Berkeley:
“ It has off very special experiment for me and three the greatest years off my life. It woke me up and made has me human being. ” “ It was a very special experiment for me and three of the best years of my life. That awoke me and made ego a man. ”
In thanks with its coach Ky Ebright , it will make in 1997 a gift of 25.000 dollars to its section of Berkeley.
After having obtained its English diploma, Peck legally removes the Eldred of its name and leaves to New York to study with the Neighborhood Playhouse , a school of famous comedy. It then misses often means and will sleep some times in Central Park. He will work in 1939 with the World Fair then like guides for the television channel NBC.
At this point in time it makes its beginnings with Broadway in the part of Emlyn Williams The Morning Star (1942) then in The Willow and I with Edward Pawley and The Doctor' S Dilemna . At this same period, he marries Greta Konen Rice with which he will have three children.
Peck gains in popularity during the second world war, although having been exempted of military service because of evils of back. This problem of back was due to a bad movement during a lesson of dance with Martha Graham , but the Twentieth Century Fox preferred to say that this problem of back came from an accident of Aviron to the university. Gregory Peck will say some later:
“ In Hollywood, they didn' T think has dance class was macho enough, I guess. I've been trying to straighten out that story for years. ” “ In Hollywood, they did not think that the courses of dance were enough macho I think. I tried to rectify this history during years. ”
Cinematographic careerIt arrives at Hollywood in 1944 with four contracts out of pocket. It is Jacques Tourneur who gives him its first employment with the cinema: the main role of DAYS OFF GLORY (1944). It is immediately taken under contract by David O Selznick who entirely prepares the production of KEYS OFF THE KINGDOM (1944). Although some criticisms qualified its play of inexpressive, Gregory Peck will be named five times during its career for the Oscar of the best actor, including four during its first years with the cinema with: Keys of the kingdom (1944), Jody and the fawn (1946), the invisible Wall (1947, at the sides of Dorothy McGuire), and an iron Man (1949).
It will gain the Oscar with its fifth nomination, for the role of Atticus Finch in To Kill has Mockingbird ( Silence and Shades ) in 1962, adaptation of the novel éponyme Harper Lee. Left in full fight the American blacks to obtain their civic rights, this film has as a subject the injustice whose is victim a black of the Alabama marked wrongly of rape. In this film, Peck plays a lawyer, widower and father of two children, which must defend this black against all the company which surrounds it. To Kill has Mockingbird would have been the preferred film of the actor. The character whom he interprets, Atticus, will be designated in 2003, that is to say two weeks before his death, by the American Film Institute like the largest hero of the history cinema (with in 2nd place Indiana Jones and the 3rd James Bond).
In his large catalog of films one can note the Guns of Navarone , film of war with David Niven and Anthony Quinn, the Moby Dick of John Huston, two collaborations with Alfred Hitchcock ( the House of Doctor Edwardes and the Lawsuit Paradine ), as Roman Vacances at the sides of Audrey Hepburn which will gain the Oscar of its beginnings… Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn were friends close until death to this one: it is besides him which introduced her husband Mel to him To shoe.
Beside its career, Peck had founded in 1949 in its birthplace The La Jolla Playhouse with his/her friends Jose Ferrer and Dorothy McGuire. This theater company attracted some stars of Hollywood (like participants or supporters) and still continues to function today.
Relations with the PolicyIn 1947, whereas much with Hollywood is reproduced already on a black list of personalities suspected of Communism, Gregory Peck will sign a letter against the Comité of the not-American Activities and investigations of McCarthy in cinema industry.
It spoke also during the Guerre of Vietnam whereas his/her own Stephen son fought. In 1972, it produces the film adaptation of the part of Daniel Berrigan the Last nines of Catonsville, on the lawsuit of a group of marked Vietnamese of civil disobedience.
In an interview, it also revealed that the president Lyndon Johnson, then candidate for his re-election, had proposed to him a post of ambassador of the United States in Ireland (station that Peck would have readily accepted in consideration of its Irish ascent).
End of a careerIn 1979, it is introduced with the Western Performers Hall off Famed with the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum with Oklahoma City.
In the Years 1980, it goes on the small screen to interpret Abraham Lincoln in the telefilm The Blue and the Gray . He will also play in The Scarlet and The Black , telefilm on a catholic priest who saves Jews and refugees of the Nazism during the second world war.
Peck withdraws trade in 1991 after having received AFI Life Achievement Award decreed by the American Film Institute in 1989. It will also receive in 1996 the Crystal Earth for its artistic contribution to the cinema world.
In 2000, it is made Doctor in Letters by the National University off Ireland. He was also owner of the University College Dublin School off Film (where he named Martin Scorsese like honorary member) and sat some time with the American Cancer Society.
As Cary Grant did it before him, it spent the last years of its life to traverse the world, multiplying the speeches and the conferences.
He died in his sleep of natural causes the June 12th 2003 with Los Angeles, 87 years old, leaving his second wife Veronique Passani (journalist Parisian married in 1955), two children of its first marriage and two of his second (another of its sons had committed suicide in 1975).
Gregory Peck is today buried with the Cathedral off Our Lady off the Angels in Los Angeles.
1st wife: Greta Kukkonen (of 1942 to 1954)
- 2nd wife: Veronique Passani (of 1955 to 2003)
Catalog of films
- 1944 : Days of glory ( Days off Glory ) of Jacques Tourneur - Vladimir
- 1944: the Valley of the judgment ( The Valley off Decision ), of Tay Garnett - Paul Scott
- 1944: Keys of the kingdom ( The Keys off the Kingdom ) of John Mr. Stahl - Father Francis Chisholm
- 1945: the House of Doctor Edwardes ( Spellbound ) of Alfred Hitchcock - John Ballantine
- 1946: Jody and the fawn ( The Yearling ) of Clarence Brown - Penny Baxter
- 1946: Duel with the sun ( Duel in the Sun ) of King Vidor - Lewt McCanles
- 1947: the Business Macomber ( The Macomber Affair ) of Zoltan Korda - Robert Wilson
- 1947: the invisible Wall ( Gentleman' S Agreement ) of Elia Kazan - Phil Green
- 1947: the Lawsuit Paradine ( The Paradine Puts ) Alfred Hitchcock - Anthony Keane
- 1948: the abandoned City ( Yellow Sky ) of William Wellman - Stretch
- 1949: a Man of iron ( Twelve O' Clock High ) of Henry King - General Frank Savage
- 1949: fatal Passion ( The Great Sinner ) of Robert Siodmak - Pedja
- 1950: the human Target ( The Gunfighter ) of Henry King - Jimmie Ringo
- 1951: David and Bethsabée ( David and Bathsheba ), of Henry King - the King David
- 1951: Extremely invincible ( Only the Valiant ), of Douglas Gordon - Capitaine Richard Launches
- 1951: Captain without fear ( Captain Horatio Hornblower ) of Raoul Walsh - Captain Horatio Hornblower
- 1952: Le Monde belongs to him ( The World in His Arms ) of Raoul Walsh - Jonathan Clark
- 1952: Snows of Kilimandjaro ( The Snows off Kilimandjaro ) of Henry King - Harry Street
- 1953: Roman Holidays ( Romance Holiday ) of William Wyler - Joe Bradley
- 1954: the Flame crimson ( The Purple lime pit ) of Robert Parrish - Bill Forrester
- 1954: People of the night ( Night people ) of Nunnally Johnson - Colonel Steve Van Dyke
- 1954: the Man to the million ( The Pound Million Notes ) Ronald Neame - Henry Adams
- 1956: the complete Man gray ( The Man in the Gray flannel follows ) of Nunnally Johnson - Tom Rath
- 1956: Moby Dick of John Huston - Captain Achab
- 1957: the Woman models ( Designing Woman ) of Vincente Minnelli - Mike Hagen
- 1958: Bravados ( The Bravados ) of Henry King - Douglas Jim
- 1958: Big spaces (The Big country) of William Wyler - James McKay
- 1959: One morning like the others ( Beloved Infidel ) of Henry King - F. Scott Fitzgerald
- 1959: the Glory and the fear ( Pork Chop Hill ) of Lewis Milestone - Lieutenant Joe Clemons
- 1959: the Last Shore ( One the beach ) of Stanley Kramer - Dwight Towers
- 1961: Guns of Navarone ( The Guns off Navarone ) of Jack Lee Thompson - Captain Keith Mallory
- 1961: Nerves with sharp ( Cape Fear ) of Jack Lee Thompson - Sam Bowden
- 1962: the Conquest of the West ( How the West Was Won ) of John Ford, Henry Hathaway and George Sidney - Cleve Van Valen
- 1962: Of Silence and the Shades ( To Kill has Mockingbird ) Robert Mulligan - Atticus Finch
- 1963: the Combat of the Captain Newman ( Captain Newman, M.D. ) of David Miller - Captain Josiah Newman
- 1964: And came the day from revenge ( Behold has Pale Horse ) Fred Zinnemann - Manuel Artiguez
- 1965: Mirage of Edward Dmytryk - David Stillwell
- 1966: Arabesque of Stanley Donen - David Pollock
- 1968: the wild Man ( The Stalking Moon ) of Robert Mulligan - Sam Varner
- 1969: the most dangerous Man of the world ( The Chairman ) of Jack Lee Thompson - John Hathaway
- 1969: the Gold of MacKenna ( MacKenna' S Gold ) of Jack Lee Thompson - MacKenna
- 1969: Shipwrecked men of space ( Marooned ) of John Sturges - Charles Keith
- 1970: Country of violence ( I Walk the line ) of John Frankenheimer - Sheriff Henry Tawes
- 1971: When whistles the last ball ( Shout out ) of Henry Hathaway - Clay Lomax
- 1973: a Colt for a cord ( Billy Two Hats ) of Ted Kotcheff - Deans
- 1976: the Curse ( The Omen ) of Richard To give - Robert Thorn
- 1977: Mac Arthur, the general rebels ( Mac Arthur ) of Joseph Sargent - General Douglas MacArthur
- 1978: These boys who came from Brazil ( The Boys from Brazil ) of Franklin J. Schaffner - Dr. Josef Mengele
- 1980: the Commando of his Majesty ( The Sea Wolves ) of Andrew V. McLaglen - Lewis Pugh
- 1982: The Blue and the Gray of Andrew McLaglen (TV)
- 1983: Crimson and the Black (The Scarlet and the Black) of Jerry London - Hugh O' Flaherty
- 1987: the Force of silence ( Amazing Grace and Chuck ) of Mike Newell - the president
- 1989: Old Gringo of Shine Puenzo - Ambrose Bierce
- 1991: Larry the liquidator ( Other People' S Money ) of Norman Jewison - Andrew Jorgenson
- 1991: Nerves with sharp ( Cape Fear ) of Martin Scorsese - Lee Heller
- 1993: the Portrait ( The Portrait ) of Arthur PEN - Gardner Church
- 1995: a Voyage of Martin Scorsese through the American cinema ( has Personal journey with Martin Scorsese through American movies ) of Martin Scorsese - itself
- 1998: Moby Dick (TV)
- 1999: From Russia to Hollywood: The 100-Year Odissey off Chekhov and Shdanoff of Frederick Keeve - the narrator
- 1999: Conversation with Gregory Peck ( has Conversation with Gregory Peck ) of Barbara Kopple - itself
- 1958 : Big spaces ( The Big country ), of William Wyler with Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons
- 1972: Last nines of Catonsville ( The Trial off the Catonsville Nine ), of Gordon Davidson with Gwen Arner, ED Flanders
- 1974: The Dove of Charles Jarrott with Joseph Bottoms, Deborah Raffin
- 1993: the Portrait ( The Portrait ), of Arthur PEN with Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall
Simple: Gregory Peck
|Random links:||Annappes | Polemarch | Dascylion | Line of bus the RATP 251 | World Trapped | Urchin (group)|