Its inhabitants is called the Gisorsiens .
GeographyGisors is located on the limit of the Norman Vexin and the French Vexin, with the confluence of the Epte, the Troesne and the Réveillon. The city was in extreme cases between the Normandy (property of the duke of Normandy which was also king of England) and the France.
HeraldicBlasonnement of the traditional weapons of the town of Gisors:
“Of mouths, with the engrêlée gold cross, the chief of azure, charged with three flowers of gold lily. ”
as brought back by Malta-Brown, in illustrated France (1882).
HistoryGisors was probably founded with the Gallo-Roman time.
The city starts to develop towards 1066, because it is then located at the border, between the Anglo-Norman possessions and the kingdom of France. The city is built around a church, now disappeared. Gisors will be, during the following centuries, a meeting place between the kings of England and France.
The battle of Gisors occurs in 1110: a few days before the battle, the king of France had listened to a mass in the open air on the Crowned Field, with the doors of the city, field on which rises an elm that “ four men could hardly wrap it their wide arms ”. As the English had attacked to seize the sacred vessels, a herd of oxen had put them in rout and two oxen had remained in faction in front of the furnace bridge. A named vault Saint-Pierre-with-Oxen, will be built on this site (G. of Sède).
Gisors becomes an economic and commercial center with. Philippe Auguste conquers the city at the beginning of the 13th century and it installs a castle, with a court and a prison. At that time, Gisors obtains infrastructures: laundrette, hospital, new church…
The Château of Gisors is a construction of the 11th century whose Donjon occupies a feudal Motte. It is famous for the popular legend of the Trésor of Templiers there which would be hidden there, although the castle never belonged to the order and that the idea that the prisoners templiers who briefly remained in 1314 there, could hide a treasure, is at the very least whimsical. In the Years 1950, the guard of the castle undertook the digging of many undergrounds which ended up destabilizing the mound and causing cracks in the keep. The man ensured to have discovered underground rooms as well as a vault containing the fabulous treasure, but nobody could check his dires.
Un underground would connect the castle to the tower of the White Queen located at Neaufles-Saint-Martin, to 3 km of the castle.
The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais church constitutes a monument with completely remarkable architecture, fruit of the styles of various times: the Gothic Middle Ages and Rebirth. This church is classified with the Historic buildings.
Grace qu financing of the White queen of Castille, a Gothic chorus is devoted in 1249. It is high according to the Chartres-native model, with a rise on three levels: large arcades, triforium and windows high openings of oculi.
Using the financings of the brotherhoods of charity and corporations of trades, the church knows many transformations as of the end of XVe century, with the addition of radiating chapels and of a déambulatoire on the level of the chorus.
Entrusted to the Hooks, a family of architects of the Vexin, work continued in XVIe century with the rebuilding of the nave and the vaults of the sides in Gothic style blazing then of the frontage decorated with reasons Renaissance.
Inside is a Escalier with screw characteristic of the Renaissance. Outside, the Gross Tower (1542 - 1590) alternates stages doric and ionic. It is the principal church of the parish of Gisors-Valley of Epte.
Having undergone important destruction during the Second world war, it was patiently restored.
Natives of the commune
- Jules de Guersens (1543-1583), poet
- Nicolas Ingouet, poet
- Marie Pierre Isidore de Blanmont, baron of Gisors (1770 - 1846); Lieutenant-general. The city set up a Statue to him.
- Jean-Baptist-Joseph Duchesne (1770-1856), miniaturist
- Family Passy, who gave politicians, scientists and economists
- Albert Forcinal, French politician
- Wenceslas Munyeshyaka, catholic priest, condemned to the life imprisonment in November 2006 by the military tribunal Rwandan to have helped with the massacre of the Tutsis in 1994-->
- Didier Digard, footballer born in Gisors. Formed in Le Havre 2 of them this solid defensive medium also which can Leagues play central defender is the first recruit of Paris SG for the season 2007-2008 and is titular in team of France Hopes.
- Art photo video Gerald: the most beautiful photographic library of the area.
the general-purpose college Louise Michel
- the LP Louis Aragon
- the college Victor Hugo
- the college Pablo Picasso
- the private college catholic Jeanne d' Arc.
- Cleaned: Father Michel Morin
- Deacon: Mr Jean-Pierre Mainbourg.
2 Palm trees: 112 rue de la Liberation.
- Cappeville: 17, rue Cappeville.
- the Mill of Moiscourt: street of Moiscourt.
- the Monarch: 34, rue de Vienne.
- Restoring Castle of Grated, to 5 km of the downtown area.
- Mirama: 72 rue de Vienne.
- the Olive Green: street of the Release.
- At July 14th: 28 rue du Faubourg de Neaufles
Station of Gisors-Junction: Gisors is located on the line of Paris-Saint-Lazare at Dieppe now limited to Serqueux. Gisors is the terminus of the suburban trains and from many inhabitants of the surrounding communes come to take the train with Gisors to carry out their pendular migrations.
Common of the Eure
|Random links:||Kill 'EM All | Vineyard of Irancy | Damiette | John Smedley (developer) | Frans Van den Zype (canon) | Melba,_Idaho|