BiographyGeorge Franju is initially made know with her documentary short films , of a realism without concession: the Blood of the animals , on the world of the slaughter-houses, Hotel of the Invalids , on the “broken Mouths”.
One will find this style of setting in scene cold in its full-length films as in Head against walls (with and on a scenario of Jean-Pierre Mocky), which is held in a psychiatric asylum, or in its chief of work Eyes without face , at the time of a scene of surgical operation of a very particular kind. In certain scenes, George Franju seems to collect a reality as much as it represents it. With this icy esthetics however a real poetry mingles.
This dichotomy is particularly made a success of in the Eyes without face , an authentic film of horror, sad and really beautiful at the same time. It is one of the rare absolute successes in the kind in France. Certain scenes announce the cinema gore (three years before its appearance with bloody Orgie ( Blood Feast ) of Herschell Gordon Lewis), but not in its slope large-puppet or comic. George A. Romero will be inspired besides by this work for its film Bruiser , with the neutral white mask as in that of Franju.
George Franju also has work for the cinema of the fantastic in Judex , where the scenario writer posts his taste for a setting in scene expressionnist.
It in addition adapted Mauriac ( Therese Desqueyroux ) and Zola ( the Fault of the abbot Mouret ).
It is one of the founders of the French Cinémathèque.
Catalog of films
- 1935 : the Subway with Henri Langlois
- 1949: the Blood of the animals
- 1950: While passing by Lorraine
- 1951: Hotel of the Invalids
- 1952: Large Méliès
- 1954: Dust and Atlantic commercial Navigation
- 1955: In connection with a river or the Atlantic Salmon and My dog
- 1956: the popular National theater , On the bridge of Avignon and Mister and Mrs Curie
- 1957: Notre-Dame, cathedral of Paris
- 1958: the First Night
- 1958 : the Head against the walls
- 1959: Eyes without face
- 1961: Full fires on the assassin
- 1962: Therese Desqueyroux (the book is of François Mauriac)
- 1963: Judex
- 1965 : Thomas impostor
- 1970: the Fault of the abbot Mouret
- 1974: red Nights
- Georges Franju on Internet Movie Database
|Random links:||Constitutional Democratic Assembly | Étoges | Kamenev (desambiguaciÃ³n) | Rosidor wire | Saint-Clearly (Vienna) | Septon | Frederic_Loewe|