See also: Gnome (homonymy)
GNOME , Acronym of G NAKED NR etwork O bject M odel E nvironment, is a free Environnement of office convivial whose objective is to make available the use of the Operating system GNU to the greatest number; this interface is currently popular on the systems GNU/Linux and also functions on the majority of the systems of the type UNIX.
GNOME was launched in August 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena with an aim of proposing completely a free environment of office including the library S of functions for the programmers and the software for the users - and to compete with the project KDE because the library Qt that this one uses was at this not-free time.
Graphically, the office GNOME takes again the analogy of the virtual office, on which it is possible to place icons of all kinds, supplemented of an instrument panel very personnalisable allowing to launch programs among which: AbiWord ( Word processing), Gnumeric (Spreadsheet), Nautilus (administrative of files), Epiphany (navigator Web) or Ekiga (Videoconference).
The environment GNOME is now included in the majority of the distributions GNU/Linux (Debian, Red Hat/Fedora Core, Mandriva, Ubuntu,…) like with certain systems UNIX of stock BSD or Solaris of Sun Microsystems.
GNOME is translated in more than 70 languages.
Gathering several hundreds of voluntary developers and innovating companies, the Foundation GNOME is an organization intended to support the advance of GNOME. The Foundation provides logistics as well as the financial support and legal for the GNOME project and assistance to the determination of its vision and its development plan. (GNOME is a registered trademark by the GNOME Foundation .)
The annual European Conference of the users and developers GNOME - GUADEC GNOME Users And Developers European Conference - is an annual gathering of developers, impassioned as well as users individual, professional, institutional and educational of GNOME. It provides a forum for the members of the GNOME project making it possible to present their work and to discuss the future of the development of GNOME. Accommodated in different countries of Europe each year, the GUADEC is a catalyst of the future development and orientation of GNOME.
Structure and developmentThe graphic Environnement of GNOME rests mainly on the library GTK+. The programmers have the possibility of using Glade (manufacturer of interface) and Anjuta (environment of integrated development) to facilitate work.
The Logiciel Metacity was selected like Gestionnaire of windows. It was integrated starting from GNOME 2.2. Previously, no Gestionnaire of windows was imposed, but it is Enlightenment which was proposed by defect.
The Gestionnaire of files integrated into GNOME is Nautilus. It replaced GNOME Midnight Commander starting from version 1.4.
GNOME integrates several library in particular which simplifies the programming of components or applications:
- Bonobo to divide components between applications;
- GConf for the system of configuration;
- GStreamer for the multi-media one;
- Pango for the posting of text;
- Cairo for the vectorial drawing;
- and Glib for the low functions level.
The Framework was developed in language C and largely inspired by the API of GTK+. In addition to one the important portability, the C makes it possible to easily propose connections with other languages like Python, C++ or Java.
GNOME follows the specifications of Freedesktop for interworking.
- GNOME Office: the environment GNOME has its own office automation continuation, GNOME Office, which contains 3 software: Abiword, Gnumeric and GNOME-DB
- Epiphany: the free Navigator Web established in GNOME and using Gecko, the driving of returned of Mozilla
- GFTP: customer ftp under License LPG, easy to use but powerful
- Gedit: the official text editor of GNOME, developed with the assistance of library GTK+
- Evince: software of visualization of pdf which replaces Gpdf
- Ekiga: the softphone H.323 and SIP
- Totem: the multimedia player
- GIMP: software of final improvement photo (historically created before Gnome, but it uses GTK)
- And well of others:
- List of software GNOME
- Free software
|Random links:||Time in physics | Military field of Maurice | Method of analysis in group | Muramvya | Sieg Rune|