BiographyFrederik Pohl was born in the district from Brooklyn, with New York, where it passes most of its life. It off follows in particular studies to the Bronx High School Science where it becomes acquainted with Isaac Asimov with which it will remain friendly during all its life. Unfortunately, it must leave the school at the 14 years age to find work and will never finish its studies.
In 1938, it joined the group of the Futurians with Asimov. It meets in this group of many authors, in particular Judith Merril which it marries in 1949 and with which it has a girl, Ann, in 1950. Pohl begins its career while directing several reviews publishing of the science fiction, in particular the magazines Astonishng Stories and Super Science Stories .
During the Second world war, it is sent in Europe from where it returns with a wound of war. It is registered then with the Communist party but will be excluded from it because of certain former members who fear that the science fiction does not corrupt the teenagers.
It then begins a second career like Literary agent, going even until asserting the representation from approximately 70% of the more great authors of science fiction in the Années 1970. In parallel, he writes his first books in collaboration with his many contacts.
Friend of Cyril Kornbluth, their collaboration produces inter alia a satyric Dystopie where the world is directed by advertizing companies: Planets with gogos ( The Space Merchants ), satire where it spreads out without states of heart the methods of the services of Marketing. Topics close such as satires to the Consumer society of the Années 1960 provide him matter with many news.
Of 1959 with 1969, Frederik Pohl publishes two of the largest magazines of American SF: '' Galaxy '' and Yew . In one of the numbers of Galaxy , it launches a contest of writing of news for young authors, equipped with a price of 10.000 dollars. Unfortunately, the received texts are so poor that it will publish finally one of its own texts, written under a Pseudonyme. Throughout its career, it will use the many ones: “Elton V. Andrews”, “Henry Of Costa”, “Paul Lavond Refusals”, “Paul Flehr”, “S.D. Gottesman”, “Lee Gregor”, “Edson McCann”, “James MacCreigh”, “Ernst Mason”, “Scott Mariner”, “Charles Satterfield”, “Warren F. Howard” or “Allen Zweig”.
In the Years 1970, it makes a return with, inter alia, the series of the large door which is worth the Prix Hugo to him, the Prix Nebula and the recognition of the whole of the profession. Of 1974 with 1976, Frederik Pohl is elected president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers off America . In 1992, it receives the Damon Knight Memorial Large Master Award of this association for the whole of its work. He is to date the only author having received the Prix Hugo at the same time as author and editor.
Apart from the science fiction, it also publishes many works, in particular Practical Politics , a handbook explaining the American political process.
Frederik Pohl was married four times. In addition to Judith Merril, he marries Carol Stanton with which he Co-publish some Anthologie S, and Elizabeth Anne Hull also writer, ex-president of the Science Fiction Research Assocation .
- Series the peace of the stars with Jack Williamson
Series the heechees
- the Large Door ( Gateway , 1977) - I read N°1691
- the pilots of the large door ( Beyond the blue vent horizon , 1980) - I read N°1814
- Rendez-vous to the large door ( Heechee rendezvous , 1984) - I read N°2087, 1986
- annals of the heechees ( The asses off the heechees , 1987) - I read N°2632, 1989
- Through the large door ( The gateway trip , 1990) - I read N°3332, 1992
- Planet with gogos ( The space merchants , 1953), with C. Kornbluth - Presence of the future N°134, 1971
- furrows of the sky ( Search the sky , 1954), with C. Kornbluth
- the era of the gladiators ( Gladiator-At-law , 1955), with C. Kornbluth - Presses Pocket Science fiction N°5004, 1977
- animals of the war ( Slavic ship , 1957)
- the tribe of the wolves ( Wolfbane , 1957), with C. Kornbluth
- the walk of the drunkard ( Drunkard' S walk , 1960) - Presses Pocket Science fiction N°5108, 1981
- the ultimate plague ( Plague off Pythons , 1965)
- the era of the satisfactor ( old The off the pussyfoot , 1968) - the Mask Science Fiction N°39, 1976
- Man-more ( Man more , 1976) - the Book of Pocket N°7051, 1979
- Jem ( Jem , 1979)
- the war into soft ( Cool war , 1979)
- the gogos against attack ( The merchant' S war , 1984)
- annals of the city ( The years off the city , 1984)
- Casse Chinese head ( Black star rising , 1985) - I read N°2151, 1987
- the advent of the quantum cats ( The coming off the quantum cats , 1986) - Présence of the future N°445, 1987
- Plus sharp than the of dead ones ( Outnumbering the dead , 1990)
- Rencontre with the extraterrestrial one ( O Pioneer! , 1998)
NewsPohl also wrote many news whose best is gathered in the Anthologie S:
- The Best off Frederik Pohl (1975)
- Platinum Pohl (2001)
The Publicity and its processes are described in a worrying way in The tunnel under the world .
- Tiberius (1960)
- Practical Politics 1972 (1971)
- The Way the Future Was (1978) - Autobiography
- Science Fiction Studies in Film (1981)
- Our Angry Earth (1991) with Isaac Asimov
- Chasing Science: Science ace Spectator Sport (2000)
- Biography and French bibliography
- French Bibliography
- Frederik Pohl on the site Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Bio and bibliography
|Random links:||Macaque of Formosa | Stacy Silver | He was a father | Cyrodiil | Androsthene | Lac_Oswego,_Orégon|