First architect of the King
The First architect of the King was, under the Old Mode, the direct assistant of the managing director of the Building industries, Arts and Manufactures of France and, consequently, number 2 of the Bâtiments of the King, belonging to the Département of the House of the King.
AttributionsThe First architect of the King was, in theory, workload of Maîtrise of work on behalf of the Building industries of the King. Thus, Angel-Jacques Gabriel was it in charge of the design of the place Louis XV starting from the best ideas subjected to the contest by its fellow-members.
But he exerted especially important administrative responsibilities, in the capacity as building Owner of the work ordered by the Building industries of the King: he had the responsibility of pass the markets of work with the contractors and the craftsmen, to supervise the management of stores (marbles, leads, etc), to inspect the building sites, to proceed to the reception of work, etc
OrganizationThe First architect of the King was assisted by intendants and general inspectors, draftsmen, an general inspector, all selected among the the most distinguished Architecte S, generally members of the royal Académie of architecture. He also had of countable officers and clerk.
He had the supervision of the intendance of Water and Fontaines, load reserved since the 17th century for the family of Francine.
Chronological list of the First architects of the King
- ? - 1615: Louis Métezeau
- 1639 - 1653: Jacques Lemercier
- 1653 - 1670: Louis Vau
- 1670 - 1681: François d' Orbay
- 1681 - 1708: Jules Hardouin-Mansart
- 1708 - 1734: Robert de Cotte
- 1734 - 1742: Jacques V Gabriel
- 1742 - 1775: Angel-Jacques Gabriel
- 1775 -? : Richard Mique
|Random links:||One Demand Distribution | Communes of the province of Turin | Coral Princess | Pierre Creamer | Municipal center of the Poster, the Postcard and Graphic art (Toulouse) | Sports_olympiques|