Extremely Rusted or Fort Toronto was a Comptoir French located at Toronto, in Ontario, which was set up towards 1750 in the honor of Antoine Louis Rouillé, Minister for the Navy and the Colonies. The fort was restored in 1740 and served until in 1759 date on which it was abandoned. Several French and English charts of the XVIIIe century indicated it under the name of Fort Toronto.Le site formed today part of the Exhibition Places, property of the town of Toronto. A street also bears its name. Located at approximately 1 km in the north of the site of the fort, it extends from the Springhurst avenue until the railway, more in the south.
HistoryIt is the Marquis of Jonquière, then governor of the News-France, which ordered the construction of the fort in order to reinforce the French presence in the area and to intercept the Amerindian trade of the S which went to a counter of English fur located at the current site of the town of Oswego. It was about small extremely surrounded by a palisade and comprising a bastion with each one of its four ends. It included/understood five principal buildings: a body of guard, a warehouse, a barracks, a workshop of blacksmith and a housing for the officers. A supposed drawing to go back to 1749 watch an adjacent fort with the Lake Ontario, whereas today the site is located at the top of a small hill and approximately hundred meters of the current banks of the lake.
In July 1759, the French garrison gave up and burned the fort at the time to beat a retreat vis-a-vis the English troops. Thereafter, the vestiges of the fort remained intact during many years, until, in 1879, the ground is levelled and turfed in order to install the Scadding hut in the vicinity.
StructureThe fort was surrounded by a wall and comprised an entry southern part, vis-a-vis the Lake Ontario, in front of which also a way was.
the forging mill
- districts of the soldiers
- districts of the officers
- the store
- the kitchen
Monument Extremely Rusted
Today, a large obelisk marks the exact site where strong French was set up.
The ground was dug in 1979 and 1980 by Toronto Historical Board, then in 1982 by the committee of the young people of Toronto Sesquicentennial Board. Thereafter, of the concrete was laid out around the obelisk in order to indicate the exact layout of the fort. Two commemorative plaques, one in English, the other in French, were affixed at the base of the obelisk by the Foundation of the Ontarian inheritance. A third plate was affixed northern side in order to commemorate the excavations carried out on the site. Lastly, a fourth plate was affixed in order to commemorate the visit of Bertrand Delanoë, mayor of Paris, was carried out on September 6th, 2003. The obelisk is surrounded by two guns and a mortar dating from the years 1850. Irony of fate, they belonged to the British.
|Random links:||Mennessis | Outline (clock industry) | History of the religions | Kansas City blues | Quebec (film, 2007) | Madge_Sinclair|