Its name Basque is Eskiula .
Its inhabitants is called Esquiulais and Esquiulaises.
HydrographyThe commune is crossed by affluents of the Gave d' Oloron, the river the Vert (and by the tributary of this one, the brook the Littos and its affluent, the Gorria brook) and the brook the Joos (and by the affluents of this one, the brooks Josset and of Cambillou, the Erreka Oyhanart and Bouhatéko erreka and its tributary the arrèc Dragon),
Localities and hamlets
- Géronce and Buoyrope in north
- Moumour in the North-East
- Féas and Oloron-Holy-Marie in the east
- Barcus in the west
- Ance and Aramits in the south
ToponymyThe toponym Esquiule appears in the forms Esquiula , Squiule and Esquiulle (respectively 1542 for the two first, and 1548, reformation of Béarn).
HistoryPaul Raymond note which the seigniory of Esquiule depended on the baronnie of Mesplès.
IntercommunalityThe common one belongs to five inter-commune structures:
- the Community of communes of Piedmont Oloronais
- trade union AEP of the country of Drunk
- departmental trade union of electrification
- intercommunity association of studies and installations of the basin versan of the Green and of its affluents
- trade union for the support for the Basque culture
2004: provisional population of INSEE.
EconomyThe activity is mainly agricultural (breeding, pastures, mixed-farming, vine).
Culture and inheritance
- Eskiulako bestak : the festivals of the village take place at the end of August, with the program tradition and modernity in a festive spirit: song, dances, concert, ball, Bandas
- Eliza bestak (literally festival of the church) take place mid-December
- Tournoi of pala: of at the end of March with the beginning of July
- Tournament head with head of pala on the pediment of Pekoe Plaza (July-August).
- Race with the mountain in September.
- Passage of the Rally of the summits
- Pastoral Maddalena De Jauréguiberry in 2000
- Masquerade in 1983,1992 and 2002
- Eskiularra Association: songs and of dances souletins
- DINBILI DANBALA: artistic creation over 4 seasons 2007
Religious heritageThe church of the Immaculate-Design dates from the XIXe century.
EquipmentThe commune has an elementary school.
Personalities related to the commune
|Random links:||Carnicerito de Méjico | Republican party of Quebec | Elon Howard Eaton | Park of Toul | Bernard Miles | Banlieue_noire_de_plantation_de_pin,_comté_de_Schuylkill,_Pennsylvanie|