Escondido is an American city Comté of San Diego in California, located at the north of San Diego. The name of the city comes from the Spanish word escondido which means hidden in French. Indeed the city is at the bottom of a narrow valley surrounded by mountains.
Founded in 1888, it is one of the oldest cities of the county of San Diego. The population of the city rises with 140.766 inhabitants (2007) on a surface of 94,5 km ², which makes of it the fourth city of the county in term of population.
The economy of the city was initially based on agriculture (vine, citrus fruits, olive-tree, lawyer…) thanks to the soft climate of the area and with the lake Wohlford, an artificial lake created in 1895. Nowadays, Escondido urbanizes at high speed and the economy diversifies in tourism, the services and light industries and high-tech.
Personalities related to the city
- Billy Bevan, actor and realizer, is deceased in Escondido;
- Clifford Hillhouse Pope, herpetologist, is deceased in Escondido;
- John S. Robertson, realizer, actor, producer and scenario writer, is deceased in Escondido;
- Neil Hamilton, actor, is deceased in Escondido;
- Steve Reeves, bodybuilder, actor and author is deceased in Escondido.
- Official site of the city
|Random links:||Pluvet | Eleatic school | Kevin J. Anderson | Spanish highway AP-8 | Demen | Mitrailleuse_légère_de_FM_24/29|