Dream Theater is a group of progressive Metal American, formed by three students of the music school of Berklee in 1985. Since their beginnings twenty years ago, they became one of the groups of progressive music having had greatest business success, although they are ignored mediums pop and Rock. Their two the most sold albums are Images and Words (1992) which received a Disque of gold and Octavarium (2005).
The group is recognized for the technical work of each instrumentalist. They are highly respected by the great names of the rock'n'roll and the metal, which leads to several collaborations with great names of the music.
The stylistic richness of the repertory of Dream Theater, their made it possible to play with very varied groups. Among most famous one can quote Deep Purple, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Fear Factory, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Joe Satriani, Marillion, Megadeth, Metallica, Pain off Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Queensrÿche, Riverside, Spock' S Beard, Symphony X, Steve Vai and Yes.
The beginnings (1985-1988)
The creation of Dream Theater goes back to 1985. This year, the Guitarist John Petrucci and the Bass player John Myung, friends of childhood originating in Long Island (New York), enter to the prestigious college of music of Berklee to Boston. To occupy their spare time and to put their training into practice, they wish to create an rock group as they made it adolescent, but they did not have a beater. They fall one day by chance on a student, Mike Portnoy, raising a tee-shirt of Catholic students (group of the years 1980 created by the bass player Billy Sheehan) being involved with exercises of battery at the complicated rates/rhythms and which impressed them by the technicality and the promptness of its play. Two days later, it joined them and they are reflected to repeat daily: together they form already the hard core of what will become Dream Theater.
Thus, old only 18 years, they follow together courses in one of the most prestigious schools of Musique of the world. Petrucci evokes this period in an interview: “It was fantastic to see all these musicians carrying to them Guitare, them Trompette, them sax… There was an environment interfered with relaxation and extreme tension in the enclosure of the Campus: musicians terribly concentrated on what they listened to in their walkman, busy to raise of the soli, the station-wagons, wire, the outs. It is a brilliant school because the level of Profs is gigantic. The courses, the theories of each one of them are almost philosophical. ”
With the difference of their comrades, the three students had a preference for the Rock and the heavy metal (in particular Iron Maiden and Queensryche) and was also dissociated by their long hair. Berklee being rather directed Jazz, they did not pass unperceived! To supplement to them line-up, they took with them Kevin Moore with the keyboards (a former schoolmate which had already belonged to Centurion, the old group of Petrucci and Myung). He also studied the music, but in Fredonia, New York.
In March 1986, the singer Chris Collins joined them and it group takes then the name of Majesty ( majestic , it was as Portnoy qualified Bastille Day , a piece of the group Rush). The logo Dream Theater goes back besides to this period, and is inspired by the Blason of the queen Mary Stuart of Scotland. They gave their first concert the May 28th 1986 and recorded soon their first models. Of outset, one can be subjugated by the aspect Technique and the many changes of rate/rhythm present in their melodies. Collins left Majesty towards the end of the year. It was replaced with the autumn 1987 by Charlie Dominici, older and more tested (its first disc had left in 1969!).
Tops and low (1988-1993)
With Charlie Dominici, second singer, they record their first album in 1989: When Dream And Day Unit and changes their name into Dream Theater (the name Majesty being already that of a group of Jazz), according to the title of a small cinema in California. As well influenced by groups like Rush or Iron Maiden, the disc is recognized by the specialized press of the time; in the history of the Rock'n'roll, it is also the first to dare to also push far fusion between heavy metal and progressive Rock. The voice of Charlie Dominici not being appropriate enough for the style of Dream Theater, it leaves the formation by mutual agreement with the other members. Dream Theater then will cross its most difficult period. The group remains more than one year without singer, benefitting from this amount of time to work, involve themselves, but to as seek the singer as it needs! It is besides for this period that pieces as has off Exchange Seasons , Take the Time or Learning to Live is written. After having auditioned several singers, of which one some Sebastian Bach (which finally belonged to Skid Row), Dream Theater engage finally Canadian Kevin Labrie, ex-singer of the group glam-rock'n'roll Winter Pink. Dream Theater already comprising two “John” and Kevin, Labrie changes its name into James, its 2nd first name.
In 1991 the group records its second disc, Images & Words , which left in 1992 and became its greater business success, in particular thanks to individual the Pull Me Under . This album, always very progressive, moves away however influences from Rush to let appear the true personality of Dream Theater . They sell 1 million specimens and pose the bases of what one now knows under the name of progressive metal.
The group is a certain success apart from the United States, in particular in Japan like in Europe. Live At the Marquee is recorded in London to devote a first international round.
Awake (1994) (900.000 sold specimens), the following album, is much darker and heavy, influence partly due because of Moore which wished to leave the group, its style too contrasting with the remainder of the band. One finds there many influences like Metallica, ELP or Rush. John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, always so conclusive, does not manage to convince the specialized press, which remains skeptic. Kevin Moore ends up leaving the formation definitively. Jordan Rudess will replace it the moment in a concert, but the group is more or less satisfied with its performance in spite of its virtuosity. In interview Mike Portnoy even declared: " it is a super clavierist, but when a musician writes partitions during a concert something does not go pas". Rudess chooses to leave in round with the group Dixie Dregs to replace T. Lavitz. Derek Sherinian succeeds Moore temporarily to ensure the round of Awake , before officially integrating the group with the exit of has Exchange Seasons Off (1995). An album containing a long continuation of more than 23 minutes (it song-title), like several lives recoveries (Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Deep Purple, Kansas, Dixie Dregs, Queen…) recorded at the time of a concert in the famous club jazz Ronnie Scott' S (at the time of the concert took part of many famous guests like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden or Steve Howe of Yes). The song has Exchange Seasons Off had been made up at the time of Images & Words but had been isolated final tracklisting of the album (it was under the pressure of the letters of fans that the recording was carried out).
In 1997 leaves Falling Into Infinity , which shows a will (less on behalf of the group that of its recording company) of touching a larger audience with more accessible titles; moreover the tensions at the time were such as Mike Portnoy failed to leave the group; follows the album Once In has Livetime (live recorded with Paris) in 1998. Several parts of this concert are included besides on the video-cassette 5 Years in has Livetime . Some time after the exit of this live, Derek Sherinian (keyboards) is thanked and will be replaced by Jordan Rudess (inevitable choice), following the participation of this last in the super-group Liquid Tension Experiment where, in addition to John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy one found the legendary bass player Tony Levin.
In 1999, the group leaves the concept-album Scenes from has Memory - Metropolis leaves II . Wanting to be to be the continuation of the song Metropolis leaves I being reproduced on Images and Words , it takes up many musical little ideas to him which one finds disseminated on all the album, forming true a opera - rock'n'roll, mixing reincarnation, hypnosis and crime not elucidated. In addition to the usual influences, the style of the Théâtre of the Dream is loan of the Beatles, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Liquid Tension Experiment (!) but also of Eastern musics and a certain form of experimental music. Live Scenes From New York , triple album live (also available in video) in particular containing an interpretation of the entirety of the concept-album, succeeds to him (left the day before the attacks of the September 11th and representing New York and the ignited twin towers, it was a withdrawn time of the sale so that the small pocket is modified).
2002 sounds the return to a rougher rock'n'roll with double CD Six Dismantle Inner Turbulence Off. Whereas first CD strikes by its side sometimes heavy, sometimes symphonic loan of sound experiments, the second proposes a 42 minutes song in a less adventurous style. Although each song of the album speaks about a character reached of a form of mental disorder, one does not regard it truly as an album concept (thus, The Glass Prison, integral part of the Alcoholics Anonymous continuation, whose words were written by Portnoy, speak about alcoholism it was reached during many years). In 2003, Train Off Thought reveals a thorough style heavy with its paroxysm, showing the perfect symbiosis which can exist between the guitar and the keyboards. The influence of Metallica is strongest, like that of Iron Maiden to a lesser extent. In 2004, at the time of a new world tour, leaves the album and DVD Live At Budokan , recorded with Tōkyō.
In 2005, left the new album, Octavarium , very influenced by MUSE and U2, and whose title éponyme gives an account of the influences of great names of the progressive Rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson…) on the group. Some see in this album a reaction to the two precedents, more directed much towards heavy metal gross (whereas actually Dream Theater always had a pop aspect, but had never really expressed it). Will follow the Gigantour, turned US with Megadeth and Fear Factory in particular. June 25th, 2005, first left the concert of Iron Maiden with the Park of Princes (Paris).
August 29th, 2006, it is the exit of their very last album live, named Score; it was recorded with New York, at the time of the last concert of the round of Octavarium on April 1st, 2006. This concert was particular for Dream Theater, since they produced in one of more prestigious concert halls of the United States (Radio operator City Music Hall, with New York, that one can compare in term of prestige with the Olympia of Paris) and that they interpreted part of the show with an orchestra of classical music, baptized " Octavarium Orchestra" (can be compared with the album S&M of Metallica, or the DVD Yes Symphonic of Yes).
After one period of rest, the group finds in September 2006 for the promotion of Score, like the writing and the recording of the next album, entitled " Systematic Chaos " , which left on June 4th, 2007.
For this new opus, the group again invested the Misadventure Studios in New York and the engineer its is this time Paul Northfield (Rush, Queensrÿche, Suicidal Tendencies, Marilyn Manson). It is possible besides to listen to some extracts on the myspace of Mike Portnoy. This is an innovation at DreamTheater, since for the preceding albums, the group held has to hold the secrecy on the album to hold the surprise with the fans. For this album, the group signed at the Label Roadrunner Records.
Members of the group
- James LaBrie - Song and percussion S (since 1991)
- John Petrucci - Guitar S and choruses (founding member)
- Mike Portnoy - Battery, percussion S and choruses (founding member)
- John Myung - Low and Chapman Stick (founding member)
- Jordan Rudess - Keyboards, Lap Steel Guitar and Continuum fingerboard (since 1999)
- Chris Hakes - Song Majesty
- Charlie Dominici - Song (1987 - 1990)
- Kevin Moore - Keyboards (1986-1994)
- Derek Sherinian - Keyboards (1995-1999)
- When Dream And Day Unite (1989)
- Images And Words (1992)
- Live At The Marquee (Live, 1993)
- Awake (1994)
- has Off Exchange Seasons (EP, 1995)
- Falling Into Infinity (1997)
- Once In has Livetime (Live, 1998)
- Scenes From has Memory (1999)
- Live Scenes From New York (Live, 2001)
- Six Dismantle Off Inner Turbulence (2002)
- Train Off Thought (2003)
- Live At Budokan (Live, 2004)
- Octavarium (2005)
- Score (Live, 2006)
- Systematic Chaos (2007)
Live in Tokyo (1993)
- 5 Years in has LIVEtime (1998)
- Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York (2001)
- Images and Words: Live in Tokyo/5 Years in has LIVEtime (2004)
- Live At Budokan (2004)
- Score (2006)
An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess (John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess)
- Billy And Charles (Charlie Dominici)
- Chroma Key (Kevin Moore)
- Explorers Club (James LaBrie, John Petrucci, Derek Sherinian, John Myung)
- G3 (John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy)
- Inner Sanctum (Mike Portnoy)
- Liquid Tension Experiment (John Petrucci, Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, Mike Portnoy)
- Mullmuzzler (James LaBrie)
- Office off Strategic Influences (Kevin Moore, Mike Portnoy)
- Planet X (Derek Sherinian)
- Platypus (Derek Sherinian, John Myung)
- Rising Power (Mike Portnoy)
- Rudess Morgenstein Project (Jordan Rudess)
- Speedway Blvd (Jordan Rudess)
- The Jello Jam (John Myung)
- TransAtlantic (Mike Portnoy)
- True Symphonic Rochestra (James LaBrie)
- Winter Pink (James LaBrie)
- Yellow Matter Custard (Mike Portnoy)
John Arch - has off Twist Fate (Mike Portnoy)
- Ayreon - The Human Equation (James LaBrie)
- David Bowie - Heathen (Jordan Rudess)
- Chorus Angelicus - Voices off Light (Jordan Rudess)
- Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation (Derek Sherinian)
- Alice Cooper - Classicks (Derek Sherinian)
- Tom Coster - Did Jah Miss Me? (Jordan Rudess)
- Tim Donahue - Madmen and Sinners (James LaBrie)
- Dixie Dregs - Turned (Jordan Rudess)
- Fates Warning - Perfect Symetry (Kevin Moore)
- Fates Warning - Parallels (James LaBrie)
- Fates Warning - has off Pleasant Shade Gray (Kevin Moore)
- Fates Warning - Disconnected (Kevin Moore)
- Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow (James LaBrie)
- Franke & The Knockouts - Franke & the Knockouts (Charlie Dominici)
- Marty Friedman - Loudspeaker (John Petrucci)
- G3 - Live in Tokyo (John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy)
- Brad Gillis - Gillrock Ranch (Derek Sherinian)
- Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot (John Myung)
- Annie Haslam - Blessing in Disquise (Jordan Rudess)
- Billy Idol - Devil' S Playground (Derek Sherinian)
- John Bollenberg Experiment - Yew Only Stones Could Speak (Jordan Rudess)
- Jon Fine Group - Wicked (John Petrucci)
- Jughead - Jughead (Derek Sherinian)
- KIS - Alive III (Derek Shernian)
- Rhonda Larson - Free ace has Bird (Jordan Rudess)
- Yngwie Malmsteen - Attack!! (Derek Sherinian)
- Jeff McBride - Extracted musical at the time of the spectacles (Jordan Rudess)
- Scott McGill - Addition by Substraction (Jordan Rudess)
- Vinnie Moore - Time Odyssey (Jordan Rudess)
- Neal Morse - Testimony (Mike Portnoy)
- Neal Morse - One (Mike Portnoy)
- Neal Morse -? (Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess)
- Neal Morse - Cover to Cover (Mike Portnoy)
- Noirin Nor Riain - Drunk Celtic (Jordan Rudess)
- Paul Winter & The Earth Band - Journey with the Sun (Jordan Rudess)
- Prefab Sprout - The Gunman and Other Stories (Jordan Rudess)
- Shadow Gallery - Tyranny (James LaBrie)
- Stalemate Torpey - Odd Man Out (Derek Sherinian)
- Dorothy Wallace - America (John Petrucci)
- Kip Winger - This Conversation Seems Like has Dream (Jordan Rudess)
- Derek Sherinian - Blood off the Snake (John Petrucci)
Amazing Journey - The Who (Mike Portnoy)
- Cygnus & the Sea Monsters - Rush (Mike Portnoy)
- Dragon Attack - Queen (John Petrucci, James LaBrie)
- Encores, Legends and Paradox - Emerson, Lake & Micrometer caliper (John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, James LaBrie, Mike Portnoy)
- Hammer off the Gods - Led Zeppelin (Mike Portnoy)
- Leonardo - The Absolute Man - Léonard de Vinci (James LaBrie)
- Rock'n'roll Super Stars vol. 3 - Journey and Judas Priest (James LaBrie)
- Steinway to Heaven - Frederic Chopin (Jordan Rudess)
- The Crown Jewels - Queen (James LaBrie)
- Working Man - Rush (Mike Portnoy, James LaBrie, John Petrucci)
- Yellow Matter Custard - The Beatles (Mike Portnoy)
- Official site of the group
- Ytse Jam Records (Site of Bootlegs Official of the group)
- FAQ official
- Your Majesty, site of the official fan-club French
- The Dance Off Eternity
Simple: Dream Theater
|Random links:||Agricultural engineer | Coprinces d' Andorre | Kadam (Buddhism tibetano) | Meiji university | John Best | 5628 (Hebraic year) | 1757|