HistoryLocated in the valley of the Birse, the village is quoted for the first time in 1223 under the name of Tornacho . The area is occupied since the Neolithic as the many objects found in excavations testify some. A Roman villa of the 3rd century like two huts dating respectively from 8th and 10th century is also updated in 1991.
The village, then composed of the two villages of Dornachdorf and Dornachbrugg , formed part with the the Middle Ages of the seigniory of Dorneck before being bought by the town of Soleure (at the same time as the strong castle of Dorneck) for half in 1485, then completely in 1502. The commune adopts the Protestant Réforme in 1529, but returns to the Catholicisme in 1534.
The economy of the commune is mainly assured by the culture the Céréale S until the 19th century before the Viticulture there towards 1900 is not grafted, then textile industry. The commune experiences an important development following the opening of the railway line which makes it possible several industries related to the Horlogerie to be established in the area. The commune is, since 1913 the seat of the universal Company Anthroposophique whose building, burnt in the night of December 31st, 1922, is replaced by one of the first constructions in Béton gross in 1924.
MonumentsThe city is known for the Goetheanum of Rudolf Steiner, seat of the universal Company Anthroposophique. It also has since 1301 a church dedicated to Saint-Maurice which shelters since 1949 the museum of the Schwarzbubenland , as well as a 22 meters length memorial, pointing out the local episodes of the Guerre of Souabe of 1499.
Outside the city, on a rock dominating it, the ruins of the castle of Dorneck are.
TransportThe city is located on the railway line Bienne - Delémont - Basle and on the line of tram (10) for Basle.
- Article Dornach in the historical Dictionary of Switzerland
|Random links:||Irving Thalberg | Phrased (musical theory) | Moses Allen | Combaillaux | Pierre Bauduin | Ringle,_le_Wisconsin|