Donegal (Dún Na nGall in Irish) is a city of the county of Donegal, in the province of Ulster. Donegal (IPA: /d ʌniːgɒl/) is not the chief town of the county of Donegal, although the name is the same one. The chief town of the county east Lifford, and Letterkenny is more the big city. The town of Donegal is located at the mouth of bay of Donegal and is with the foot of Bluestack Mountains. The city is served by the roads N15 and N56. The Irish name comes from English Fort off the Foreigners (Vikings).
The first traces of population dating from prehistory were discovered in the neighborhoods of the city, mainly of the fortifications. The file give a report on an old Danish fortress destroyed by Muirchertach MacLochlainn, large king of Ireland in 1159. This colony Vikings is probably at the origin of the name of the city.
Donegal is famous to be the town of origin of the O'Donnell clan, which played a key function in the history of Ireland. 15th at the 17th century, they were the principal opponents of the fastening of Ireland to the kingdom of England. The city also has a castle as well as the remainders of a Franciscaine abbey of the 15th century. The writing of the medieval chronicle annals of the four Masters would have been started in this abbey at the 17th century. The adventures of Red Hugh O'Donnell, Lord of Tyrconnel, inspired by many books and films such as The Fighting Prince off Donegal (1966) of the Disney studios.
After the escape of the counts in 1607, the castle and the grounds were given to the English captain Basil Brooke, like part of the Plantations of Ulster. Brooke completed great rebuilding works and added a wing to the castle in a Jacobien style. The current plan of the city included a public garden municipal or Diamond . 17th at the 20th century, Donegal made party of the great field of the family Gore (Count d' Aran since 1762). It is under their reign that the city took its current aspect. Donegal elects two deputies of the Irish Parliament since the signature of the Act of Union (1800). Testimonys of the Great Famine Irish exist still nowadays such as the Workhouse, which is currently part of the hospital.
Industry and tourism
Donegal has several ideal sand beach for the practice of surfing. The city is also used as starting point for excursions on Bluestack Mountains. Although the city has many hotels, she suffers from an important lack of equipment social. Many inhabitants must go on the cities close to Letterkenny for equipment like the swimming pools, the cinemas and the center shopping.
The largest employer of the city is the factory Magee off Donegal. This one manufactures clothing out of tweed and to a lesser extent in flax and wool. Nevertheless, the number of ouviers of the textile sector falls years by years as in all Ireland
The station of Donegal was inaugurated on September 16th, and was closed on January 1st, 1960
Donegal shelters many clubs of sports amateur. The most popular sport of the area is the Football Gaelic and the club of athletics local affiliated in Gaelic Athletic Association is The Four Masters . The club developed the Hurling égelment. The other sport practiced are football (Finn Harps), the Rugby, and the basketball.
The city is the seat of the regional newspapers Donegal Democrat and Donegal Post and of a news bulletin, the Donegal Times . Ocean FM, independent radio station, with the one of its three studios in the city, which diffuses on the south of the county of Donegal.
- Official town website
- Public Donegal Art
|Random links:||Björn Ranelid | Antoine Scrive-Labbe | French highway A61 | Dompierre-on-Yon | Mack 10 | Hilary_Tann|