District of the Montsouris Park
The district of the Park Montsouris is a district of the South of Paris, located in the 14th district. It is the 54ème Quartier of Paris. It owes its name with the Parc Montsouris, which in fact part. It was until in 1937 the district of Health, the name of a street which borders it, and not of the Prison of the Health which is it located in the Montparnasse.
district It is primarily a residential district and of tertiary sector.
SituationThe district of the Montsouris Park is delimited by the boulevard Saint-Jacob in North, the street of Health, the Admiral Mouchez and the avenue of the Door of Gentilly in the East, the avenue Paul Valiant-Dressmaker, Pierre Masse, and of Doctor Lannelongue in the South, and the streets of Fall-Issoire, Emile Faguet, and of Professor Hyacinthe Vincent in Ouest.
HistoryThe district of the Montsouris Park was created at the same time as the 14th district in 1860, at the time of the annexation by Paris of part of the commune of Gentilly. It was at the time an rural area periurbaine, where only the accesses of the road of Gentilly to Paris (streets of Health and the Admiral-Mouchez) like the hospital Holy-Anne, had some constructions. There existed also slums, Bidonville S of the time.
GeographyThe whole of the district is installed on the slopes of left bank of the Bièvre. The original slope, directed West-east, was attenuated during the fill of the bed of this river, which was located not far from the street of the Admiral Mouchez. The sinuous layout of this street testifies besides to the old presence of the river. It is crossed by the Rue of Alésia of Is in West, and the avenue Rene Coty of North in the South.
Town planningThe extension of Paris, initially was done along the old road of Gentilly and with the accesses of the hospital Holy-Anne, whose creation goes back to 1651. The 19th century should be waited, with the fill of the Beaver, and especially installation by Alphand of the Parc Montsouris and boring by Haussmann of the avenue of the Park Montsouris (today Rene Coty), to see the real integration of the district to the ville.
The district is marked by the concentration of utility services of large surface: hospital Holy-Anne, Montsouris Park, tanks of the Valve, University residence. It is also crossed by the line B of the RER (old Ligne of Seals), which is air on the near total of the quartier.
The influence of the collective habitat is thus limited. The buildings haussmanniens are concentrated street of Alésia and which occurred Rene Coty, and are rather rare in the district. To traditional the plaster frontages, witnesses of the popular past of the district (street Saint-Yves, street of the Artists), are added some suburban buildings, in particular street of the Admiral Mouchez. There exists also large whole of dwelling modern, because of availability of grounds after the Second world war. One can quote the " Meridian line of Paris" , street Dareau, vast of structure of the years 1970, representative of the époque.
A small island of the district was entirely built to nine with the beginning of the year 2000. A new way, the avenue of Sybelle was bored there.
The individual habitat is present in the district, especially in the West of the Montsouris Park, where the few villas drowned in the greenery are torn off at price of or.
The commercial real estate and of office is also represented (ex: sit of the Savings bank).
With final, the district, very contrasted from an architectural point of view, is quite representative of the 14th district.
Curiosity and points of interests
The district of the Montsouris Park is very rich for the walker. Architectural diversity, co-education in the occupation of the ground, and the many green areas do of it one of the districts more attaching, although enough little known, of the capitale.
One will of course quote the Montsouris Park, which has gives its name to the district. One will find in the vicinity the University residence, or the villas being next to the park of the west coast. The tanks of the Valve, which occurred Reille, store water of the Loing brought by the aqueduct of the Valve to Loing, and feed out of drinking water the Southern part of Paris. The hospital Holy-Anne, is also worthy of interest, just as the sector of the street Saint-Yves.
To go there
the RER: station University residence
- Subway: station Saint-Jacob
- Tram T3: stations Montsouris and University residence
|Random links:||Scrophulariales | Transporte en Singapur | Pachnoda marginata | Aceralia | Wales of North | Mongueurs of Perl | Extrêmement_fréquence|