Department of Orléansville
Regarded since the March 4th 1848 as integral part of the French territory, Algeria was administratively organized same manner as the metropolis. Thus during a hundred years, the town of Chlef, then known under the name of Orléansville was a sub-prefecture of the Département of Algiers, and this until June 28th 1956. On this date the aforementioned department was divided into four parts, in order to answer the important increase in the Algerian population during the past years.
The old department of Algiers was dissolved on May 20th 1957 and its four parts were transformed into full departments. The department of Orléansville was thus created on this date, and covered a surface of: 12257 km ² on which resided: 633630 inhabitants and had five sub-prefectures, Cherchell, Duperré, Miliana, Ténès and Teniet-el-Haad.
The department of Orléansville was maintained after the independence of Algeria, and became the Wilaya de Chlef.
List of the French departments of Algeria
the site of the SPLAF: departments of Algeria
|Random links:||Waterloo (Ontario) | August 1902 | Baldersheim | Arnold Netter | 5746 (Hebraic year) | 1934_en_Inde|