The December 25th is the 359e Jour of the Année (360e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian calendar . There remain 6 days before the end of the year.
- 1: traditional date of the birth of the Christ, with Bethlehem; the festival of Christmas constituted the beginning of the New Year's Day in certain parts of Europe; the Holy years catholic begin (since 1300) this day.
274: The shortly after its triumph, Aurélien inaugurates the Temple of the Sun . Built on the Champ de Mars, decorated with the brought back spoils of Palmyre, the temple is served by the college of the priests of the Sun, chosen among the senators. Honore by an annual festival at the time of the Solstice of winter (December 25th) and by plays every four years.
354 : the Pope Libère (Libérius) founds the date of birth of Christ at December 25th, day when pagan Rome celebrates the birth of Mithra, " Ground Invinctus" (Unconquered God), Persian god of the light in the old Iranian religion.
438: Roman Empire, the Sénat of Rome records officially the code of laws written by a commission of lawyers named by the emperor Théodose II in 429. This code is the first legal and official collection laws promulgated by the emperors since 312.
496: Baptism of Clovis, king of the Frank .
597: Baptism of Éthelbert, king of Kent, in Canterbury.
604: Battle of Étampes, Clotaire II overcome by Thierry.
800: Crowning of Charlemagne, emperor of Occident : Charlemagne, king of the Francs, is crowned emperor of Occident in the Basilique Saint-Pierre of Rome, by the Pope Leon III, then acclaimed by crowd. The Pope kneels in front of the new emperor.
- According to its biographer Eginhard, Charlemagne leaves furious this ceremony: by initially crowning Charlemagne, before the acclamations, Leon III affirms that all to be able comes from God, by his intermediary, and not of the people.
- Charles, oldest son of Charlemagne, is crowned the same king day of Neustrie.
- Charlemagne remains with Rome until Easter 801, clearly affirming its sovereignty on the Eternal City.
854: The clerks and the noble ones of the Norfolk assembled with Attleborough, elect for king of East Anglia Edmond (14 years), nephew of Athelstan, eighth king d' Est-Anglie, left in Holy Land to finish there its days in the prayer and penitence.
875: Charles the Bald person is crowned emperor from Occident in Rome by the pope Jean VIII.
1120 : Shipwreck with Barfleur of the White-Nave with on its board large the noble Norman ones and the heir to the throne of England, Guillaume Adelin. For some this shipwreck took place on November 25th, 1120?. (this November 25th is checked: to follow this bond
1169 : Constancy of Brittany, heiress of the duke of Brittany, Conan IV Small the, is forced to marry Geoffroy II, third wire of the king d' Angleterre Henri II Plantagenêt, 9 years old. The Brittany passes thus under the cut of the England.
1541 : A terrible natural phenomenon - one does not know with precision if it were of an earthquake or a tidal wave, or perhaps two compounds - devastates the small island of Cubagua - one of the two islands attached to the island of Margarita, near to the coast to what will become the Venezuela - shaving many houses, destroying the city incipient from Nueva Cádiz in its totality, water involving the debris towards the sea.
1559 : Jean Ange of Médicis is elected Pape under the name of Pie IV
1597 : With the Native Brazil, foundation of the town of .
1757 : The Prussians beat the French with Leuthen.
1825 : Alexandre Ier abdicates the September 13rd to die on February 1st. His/her Constantin brother leaves the throne to Nicolas, which accepts it the December 24th. The 25, the regiment of Moscow refuses to lend oath to the new tsar, and it is the beginning of the insurrection.
- national Day in favor of the Hairy .
- Joffre, the victorious of the Marne, is named Marshal of France.
- an Iraqi plane, diverted by " pirates of the air" with 107 people on board, explodes and takes fire while trying to be posed in catastrophe on a track of the desert of Saudi Arabia: 62 dead.
- 2 Americans make a success of the 1st round the world tour in the plane without stopover (11 days).
1991 : Mikhail Gorbatchev resigns of his post of “president” of the Soviet Union. The red flag is descended from the Kremlin.
- with the Japan, unemployment reaches records: 4,4% of the active population.
- Richard Branson fails in his attempt at round the world tour in balloon.
- the Khmer leaders red, Khieu Samphân and Nuon Chea, persons in charge of died of 2 million people give their rendering to the mode of Phnom Penh.
- with the the Vatican, Jean-Paul II invites to banish the capital punishment in its declaration Urbi and orbi.
- the probe Mars Express was put into orbit around planet.
- an earthquake with Bam, in Iran, makes 50.000 dead.
- Eleven days after a first assassination attempt, the Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf escapes a new car bomb attack, which makes 14 dead, in the same town of Rawalpindi, close to Islamabad.
BirthsAccording to various traditions:
In the History:
- 1642 : Isaac Newton Physicist, Mathematician and Astronomer English
- 1712: Pietro Chiari, Playwright, Novelist and Librettist Italy N. († August 31st 1785).
- 1721 : William Hakes, British poet . († June 12th 1759)
- 1750: Claude-Pierre Dellay d' Agier, writer and Politician French. († August 4th 1827).
- 1771 : Charles Athanase Walckenaer, Naturalist French († 1852).
- 1793 : Ludwig Thienemann, doctor and a German naturalist († June 24th 1858)
- 1800: John Phillips, British geologist .
- 1824 : Thomas McIlwraith, businessman and Canadian Ornithologist of British origin († 1903).
- 1825 : Henri de Bornier, French writer and academician († January 28th 1901)
- 1871: Alexandre Scriabine, pianist and a type-setter. († April 27th 1915) (birth according to the Calendar Julien)
- 1899: Humphrey Bogart, American actor. († January 14th 1957)
- 1904: Harold Christensen, dancer, choreographer and American ballet master († 1989)
- 1907: Cab Calloway, leader and musician of American Jazz .
- 1911 : Ball Hogarth, American draftsman of Cartoon
- 1916: Ahmed Ben Bella, Algerian statesman.
- 1918 : Anouar el-Sadate, President of the Egypt of 1970 has 1981 and Nobel Prize of peace in 1978. († October 6th 1981)
- 1923: Rene Girard, professor of comparative literature, Christian philosopher and French academician
- 1925: Carlos Castaneda, American anthropologist .
- 1933 : François de Closets, scientific journalist French
- 1937: Marcel Maréchal, actor and Director French.
- 1943 : Hanna Schygulla, Polish actress.
- 1948 : No5el Mamère, journalist and politician French.
- 1949 : Sissy Spacek, American actress.
- 1952 : Desireless, singer.
- 1954 : Annie Lennox, British singer having belonged to the group Eurythmics.
- 1957 : Christine Hakim, actress indonésienne.
- 1959 : Michael P. Anderson, American astronaut († 2003)
- 1961: Ingrid Betancourt, born in France, Colombian political woman, held by Farc.
- 1965 : Werrason, Congolese singer, cofounder of Wenge Musica
- 1966: Darius Rochebin, Swiss journalist, presenter of the newspaper of the French-speaking Switzerland Television
- 1971: Dido, British singer .
- 1976 :
- Armin van Buuren, DJ and producer Dutch.
- Tuomas Holopainen, Finnish musician, clavierist of Nightwish.
- 1980 : Reika Hashimoto, mannequin and actress Japan ease.
- 1294 : Mestwin II, duke of Poméranie Eastern.
- 1317 : Jean de Joinville, noble Champagne and historian of Saint Louis.
- 1635 : Samuel de Champlain, exploring French (° between 1567 and 1570).
- 1732 : Francisco Ochoa Mendarozqueta there Arzamendi, archbishop of Palencia, (Spain).
- 1893 : Victor Schoelcher, French politician († July 22nd 1804)
- 1898: Georges Rodenbach (43 years), Belgian poet Symbolist. (° July 16th 1855).
- 1899 : Elliott Coues, Doctor - Military, historian, author and American ornithologist (° 1842).
- 1946 : William Claude Dukenfield, known as W.C. Fields, Humoriste of light comedy and Actor states-unien
- 1957: Charles Pathé, the first manufacturer of films of cinema
- 1963: Tristan Tzara, father of the Dadaism.
- 1975 : Gaston Gallimard, editor French, founder of the Editions Gallimard . (° January 18th 1881)
- 1977: Charlie Chaplin, actor and British burlesque realizer. (° April 16th 1889)
- 1983: Joan Miró Catalan painter.
- 1986 : Mikhaël Ivanhov, philosopher and pedagog French, of Bulgarian origin. (° 1900)
- 1989: Nicolae Ceauşescu, Rumanian statesman (° January 26th 1918).
- 1992 : Monica Dickens, British novelist .
- 1995 :
- 1999: Bill Bowerman, trainer of American athletics , inventor of the modern shoe of race and cofounder of the company Nike.
- 2004 : Guennadi Strekalov, Russian cosmonaut (° 1940)
- Domenico Triggiani, writer and Italian playwright. (° 1929).
- Sarat Chandra Sinha, Indian politician , former Prime Minister for the Assam (India) of 1972 with 1978.
- Derek Bailey, British guitarist of impromptu Music.
- Argentina Brunetti, American actress, 98 years.
- 2000 : Willard van Orman Quine, American philosopher.
- 2006 :
- Christmas Day.
- For the followers of Mithriacisme or Mithraïsme, in the Roman empire, celebration of the birth of the solar god Mithra, and celebrates most important of this worship.
- the date of the December 25th coincides with that of the pagan festivals older, related to the Winter solstice: this day was in the beginning a religious festival pagan Celtic (festival of the maternity).
- Starting from 274 in the Calendar Julien, the Roman Emperor Aurélien founds with the winter solstice the celebration of Sol Invictus (unconquered sun), evolution towards a solar monotheism.
- For the Christians, celebrates Christmas which celebrates the birthday of the birth of Jesus. This date was fixed in the year 354 by the Liberus pope who chooses also the winter solstice in the place of other evoked dates: January 6th, March 28th, April 19th, and May 29th.
- Following the importance of Christmas for the Christianity, this day is non-working in the majority of the countries of Christian tradition: country of Europe, Mexico, Canada, etc
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
Beats-smg: Groudė 25 Be-X-old: 25 сьнежня Cbk-zam: 25 of Diciembre Fiu-vro: 25. joulukuu päiv Nds-nl: 25 december Simple: December 25 Zh-yue: 12 月 25 號
|Random links:||Daniel Morelon | Direction of the life | Robert Combas | Lucifer: the god of the Hells | Championship of England of football 2002-2003|