Its 136.234 inhabitants are called the Amiénois . The name thrown of the inhabitants is the maqueux ones of gueugue (nut eaters).
Symbols of the city
The Blasonnement of Amiens east:
- “ Of mouths to the money ivy, the chief of sown azure of flowers of gold lily. ”
Its currency is
- “ Liliis tenaci vimine jungor ”: a powerful bond links me with the lily.
In 1991, a logo (opposite) was conceived by the new municipality formed around Gilles de Robien (elected mayor in 1989). The logo represents a flower of lily and a sheet of ivy placed coast beside red color on a gray or white bottom (according to the use).
GeographyAmiens regional capital of Picardy is a city crossed by the Somme. It is the prefecture of the Somme, one of the three departments (Somme 80, Aisne 02, Oise 60) of the area. The Sum is a Fleuve with the course generally very peaceful, except at the time of exceptional believed several weeks (like that of spring 2001).
Amiens owes part of its fame with its Gothic cathedral, one of largest of the world (in volume).
Amiens developed with the level of a natural contracting of the market gardens due to the presence in the north of the Saint-Pierre coast on the layout of the river. This hillock is always observable, the Citadel was built above and the Street Saint-Pierre was a slightly tilted way which made it possible to leave the city by north. The level of this contracting, a narrow canal system allowed the construction of bridges and buildings of which spinning mill S with the Middle Ages. The Canal of the Sum dates him only from the beginning of the 19th century and the bridge located at the foot of the citadel was built after the Second world war. But it is around the districts Saint-Leu, Saint-Maurice and of the more administrative and civil part of the current downtown area which the city developed since Antiquity.
Amiens is a node of axes of communications between:
- the Paris region and the north of the France;
- the Normandy and the the Benelux countries;
- France and the the United Kingdom.
One can reach it by the road (Amiens is located at the crossing of the A16 and the A29), and by the train (line Paris - Boulogne).
- List of the counts d' Amiens
- List of the bishops of Amiens
- List of the Former maïeurs of Amiens (mayors of before the Revolution)
CantonsAmiens is divided into 8 cantons:
- the 1st canton (Amiens-West) is made of part of Amiens and communes of Dreuil-the-Amiens and Saveuse (21 188 inhabitants);
- the 2nd canton (Amiens-North-West) is made of part of Amiens and communes of Argœuves and Saint-Saver (14 434 inhabitants);
- the 3rd canton (Amiens-North-Is) is made of part of Amiens and commune of Rivery (18 506 inhabitants);
- the 4th canton (Amiens-Is) is made of part of Amiens and communes of Camon and Longueau (24 118 inhabitants);
- the 5th canton (Amiens-South-Is) is made of part of Amiens and commune of Cagny (24 596 inhabitants);
- the 6th canton (Amiens-South) is made of part of Amiens (17 113 inhabitants);
- the 7th canton (Amiens-South-West) is made of part of Amiens and commune of Bridge-of-Metz (19 645 inhabitants);
- the 8th canton (Amiens-North) is made of part of Amiens and communes of Allonville, Poulainville and of Bertangles (18 209 inhabitants).
JurisdictionsAmiens is a city marked by a strong legal tradition, with the historical presence of its Court of Appeal, as well as all jurisdictions of first and second degree of the legal order. The Court of Appeal of Amiens is competent on the three departments of Picardy, that is to say new Courts of Bankruptcy.
More recently, Amiens became the seat:
- of the national Court of the incapacity and the tariffing of the insurance of the industrial accidents.
- of a administrative court. The judgments which it gives can be the object call to the Administrative court of call of Douai.
- of the Regional court of the accounts of Picardy.
See also: Samarobriua
The Middle AgesAt the 5th century the Francs under the control of Clodion arrive Hairy the. Mérovée there is elected king by his comrades in arms and is raised on the bulwark in sign of the capacity which is conferred to him.
859: the city is plundered by the Normands.
882: new attack of Norman which takes the city and sets fire to the cathedral.
If Amiens profits, towards 1095, of an outline of municipal organization, the commune is really made up only in 1113, whereas other cities of the area (Beauvais, Cambrai, Laon, Noyon, Saint-Quentin) preceded it on the ground of municipal freedoms. Palm Sunday 1115, the king Louis VI the Large is present in Amiens, to support the Geoffroi bishop and the inhabitants against the count Enguerrand de Boves who refuses to recognize the institution of the Charte of communal freedoms.
In 1218, the lightning destroys the files of évêché and those of the chapter, and destroys the cathedral which had been rebuilt after the invasion of the Norman ones.
In 1597, the Spaniards attack by surprised thanks to a technique close to the Trojan horse and seize the city. After 6 months of seat, Henri IV takes again the city, putting an end to its autonomy management.
Times modern and contemporary
Amiens is famous with for its textiles whose velvet of Amiens celebrates it. The Cosserat family is then one of the more big families of textile industry amiénoise.
During the 19th century century, Amiens benefits from the development of industry. The city extends and is modernized. The ramparts are dismounted to leave room to broad boulevards which girdle the downtown area. On the pieces of the Old people's homes of Amiens, far away from the suburbs from Saint-Honore and Saint-Acheul, is born the Henriville district. The street of the Republic is created east becomes the street of the capacity and the knowledge, with the erection of the public library and the museum of Picardy, as well as the installation of the Prefecture.
The first railway line passing by Amiens is built in 1848: it makes it possible to connect the city to Boulogne-sur-Mer. Certain old ditches being next to the ramparts are used for the passage of ways of railroad. This progress modifies the geography of the city, which turns from now on the back on the Sum, following the example Town hall which transfer its entry of the place to the wire, towards the current street of Three stones.
During the Franco-German War of 1870, the Sum is invaded by the Prussian , and Amiens occupied, while the citadel resists a few days more.
In 1906, the CGT holds to with it a historical congress, which works out the Charte of Amiens.
Amiens knows damage at the time of the two world wars. City of the immediate rear in 1914-1918, the city undergoes a short occupation in September 1914. From 93.000 inhabitants at the entry in war, the population passes to 110.000 during the conflict because of presence of the allied troops. Population and industries undergo heavy deprivations (gas, coal, bread…), which generates several strikes, 25 only for the year 1917. Vis-a-vis the regular bombardments, the municipality sets up as of 1915 the protection of the historic buildings, like the cathedral. At the end of March 1918, an intense wave of bombardments destroys the station of North, the New Galleries and the Corn exchange, involves the evacuation of the population, and the municipality which takes refuge with Neufchâtel-in-Bray. At the end of the First World War, one counts 7.000 destroyed houses and 3000 damaged, to which plunderings are added.
A plan of rebuilding is engaged by Louis Duthoit, replaced in 1921. The State rejects in 1924 the request of the municipality of war damagees. A less ambitious rebuilding begins in 1925, to which some frontages Art déco testify.
The rebuilding of the downtown area, already strongly touched in 1918, is not finished, that the city is again shaved by the many bombardments of the Second world war, in 1940. The residential district of Henriville, picturesque popular quarters of Saint-Leu, rehabilitated today, and the cathedral are fortunately saved. In 1942, the foregrounds of rebuilding are erected scaffolding by graded German, and Pierre Dufau. In 1944, British aviation aims at the prison at the time of the Opération Jericho , then the railways. Amiens leaves the conflict destroyed to 60 %.
In the years 1970, the city buys little by little the houses of the district Saint-Leu and renovates it in the years 1980. In the years 1990, with the foot of the cathedral is built the university of Picardy, and refitted the Saint-Pierre park. These fifteen last years, the city also developed through the district of the Vallée of the vines .
Today (2006), a new plan of installation of the district of the station has just been officialized.
- Pierre the Hermit (? - 1115), preacher of the First Crusade
- Vincent Conveys (1598 - 1648), known as “the beautiful spirit”, poet
- Charles of Fresne, sior of Cange (1610 - 1688), historian and philologist
- Jacques Rohault (1618-1672), physicist and proselyte of the Mécanisme
- Jean-Baptiste Gresset (1709 - 1777), poet (author of Green-Green and Malicious the ), member of the French Academy.
- Christmas-François De Wailly (1724 - 1801), French grammairien.
- Choderlos de Laclos (1741 - 1803), writer (author of the Dangerous Connections )
- Jean-Baptiste Delambre (1749 - 1822), author of the definition of the meter
- Pierre-François-Marie-Auguste Dejean (1780 - 1847), general and entomologist
- Jules Barni (1818-1878), philosopher and politician, deputy of the Sum
- Rene Goblet (1828-1905), journalist and politician French
- Jules Verne (1828 - 1905), city council man of 1888 with its death. It rests with the cemetery of the Madeleine. He lived during 18 years a private mansion located in the Henriville district, equipped with an observatory at the top of a tower. Its residence, now classified historic building, was acquired by the Town of Amiens in 1980. Réouverte on March 24th, 2006 after one year of work, the House of Jules Verne is a museum to be visited. The university of Picardy is baptized Jules Verne. A Amphithéâtre of ESIEE bears its name
- Charles Tellier (1828-1913), inventor of mechanic refrigeration
- Frederic Petit (1836-1895), former mayor of Amiens and former senator IIIe République of the Sum
- Edouard Lucas (1842-1891), inventor of plays and headaches mathematical
- Edouard Branly (1844 - 1940), physicist, inventor of the coherer, the first very sensitive detector of radio waves and doctor. A college as well as an amphitheater, that of the ESIEE bear its name
- Louis Thuillier (1856-1883) physicist and biologist, born and studies in Amiens, buried with the cemetery of the Madeleine.
- Victor Pauchet (1869-1936), celebrates surgeon amiénois (1896-1914) then Parisian (1915-1936) who acquired an international notoriety as of the years 1910. A private clinic founded in 1896, always existing and a place bear its name.
- Roland Dorgelès (1885 - 1973), writer
- German Dulac, director, theorician of the cinema
- Clovis Jitter, (1889-1975), painter
- Maurice Boitel, 1919, painter
- Victorine Autier, the heroic nurse of the war of 1870
- Pierre Garet, politician
- Aime and Louis Duthoit, sculptors of the 19th century who have, amongst other things, helped with the restoration of the cathedral at the sides of Eugene Purple-the-Duke which qualified them for that of " last imagiers of the the Middle Ages ".
- Albert Roze, sculptor
- Samarabalouf, group of music manouche
- Father Féry, engineer of castle-of water.
- Anne Brochet, actress
- Pierre Puvis de Chavannes French painter, idealistic mural decorations (the Pantheon, Sorbonne)
- Albin of Simone, author, type-setter, interprets
- Disiz the Plague, rappor French
Other personalities related to the city
- Mgr Jacquenet
- Antoine Louis de Romance
- Camille Leon de Chassepot de Beaumont
- Auguste Perret (1874 - 1954), architect, realizer of famous the Turn Perret and which dominates Amiens,
- Lafleur, hero and main character of the puppet theater amiénois.
- Gilbert Hecquet known as Gilbert Richard, producer-organizer of television on the 1 chain (1960-1992).
Tourism in AmiensThe position of Amiens in fact a destination interesting for a Weekend or a few days, since Paris, Lille or Brussels. Other tourists profit to visit the city at the same time as the Baie of Somme. Amiens profits from the label of the “Villes and Pays of Art and History” since 1992. Within this framework, the organizer of the inheritance organizes a certain number of guided visits with topics intended for an adult public but also for the children, with teaching workshops. A marked out circuit allows a visit independent of the city: panels comment on the remarkable places and buildings, through functional explanations and illustrations. Principal curiosities which arouse a tourist interest are the cathedral, the downtown area, the House of Jules Verne, the Tour Perret, the Museum of Picardy, as well as the districts Saint-Leu and Saint-Maurice.
HabitatThe traditional house of the suburbs is the amiennoise , out of brick and on a floor. The simple amienoise includes/understands a window at the ground floor and the floor, the double two windows on each level. It is built on a piece of a few meters of broad but on the other hand very deep, forming hearts of green small islands and districts not very dense.
In the low city, the frontages largely use wood, in Colombage S or Bardage. The official buildings or private mansions regularly use brick frontages on a sandstone base, decorated stone for the framings of windows and doors. The district of the canons presents stone frontages exclusively.
Remarkable monuments and buildings
Notre-Dame of Amiens
See also: Notre-Dame of Amiens
The city is famous for its cathedral the Notre-Dame, vastest of France (and even the second of the world after Yamoussoukro) by its interior volumes (200 000 m ³). It is twice vaster than Notre-Dame de Paris. The cathedral is 145 m long for 112 m in height, and the vaults of the central Nef culminate with 42,30 meters. Dating from the 13th century, its construction is due to the richness of the city to the Middle Ages and the fire of the Romance cathedral which was located at it before. Three architects, whose Robert de Luzarches followed one another to conclude the building site. The cathedral is registered since 1981 with the world heritage of UNESCO. A spectacle of restitution of the original polychromy of the frontages, discovered following Laser cleaning by of these last, is given every year free at the end of the year and for the summer period. The spectacle is a projection on the frontage of slides color.
The statue of the Whining Angel on a tomb carved by Nicolas Blasset and the low reliefs over Saint-Firmin and Midsummer's Day, are some of the notorious works of the cathedral. On the ground is located a intact labyrinth 234 m length.
On with dimensions north of the cathedral is old the Palais of Évéché of Amiens occupied by the National college of business of Amiens - Picardy.
The BelfryIts origin goes up with the establishment of the commune of Amiens by Louis the Large. It is mentioned for the first time in an award delivered by the Chapter of Amiens in 1244.
Symbolizing the independence of the commune, it was used formerly for the meetings of notable of the city, then of room of files, prison and armory. A guettor supervised the arrivals around and warned the population of the external dangers.
The belfry sounds each hour of the day. With the abandonment and deprived of roof since the Second world war, the monument was restored in 1989. Since July 2005, the belfry of Amiens (registered with the inventory of the Historic buildings) is, just like the cathedral, classified with the world heritage of UNESCO.
During the Middle Ages, the building was on several occasions the prey of the flames.
This belfry consists of a stone base of white size, built at the 15th century between 1406 and 1410, of a stone superstructure being used as bell-tower built starting from 1749 with volutes of style baroque with its base, and of a dome covered with slates then of an arrow and a wind vane raising a Renommée. At the time, an enormous bell of 11 tons is installed inside, this one will be destroyed as well as the dome (following the copper smelting the component) in the bombardment and the fire of the city on May 19th, 1940. The height of the belfry is of 52 meters.
Located on the place at the Wire, old central place of the city before the arrival of the train and the rise of the street of Three-Stones, the belfry is next to the Markets and the back of the Town hall.
The Municipal circusIn 1845, the traditional fair of Midsummer's Day, which was held Rene-Goblet place, is transferred place Longueville, large esplanade taking the place of the Longueville bastion, since the demolition of the ramparts of the city at the beginning of the 19th century. Each year, a transitory circus was set up at this occasion.
In 1865, a company of the Circus is born to claim a circus into hard, which will be built out of wood by the Schytte contractor in 1874. But expensive maintenance encourages the municipality to consider the construction of a new building. Decision is made in 1886 pennies the impulse of the mayor Frederic Petit. Work starts then.
The architect as a chief of the Sum, Emile Ricquier, raises Gustave Eiffel, is in charge of his construction. He takes as a starting point the Cirque of winter of Paris, but chooses a metal cast iron framework, more faithful to Eiffel, supplemented by brick of the country. But the architect of the civil buildings, Charles Garnier, claims that the reinforcements are hidden with a coating imitating the stone. The design " moderniste" of Ricquier, choosing to post the structure, and to privilege local material that is the brick, is visible with the back of the monument.
With its polygonal form at 16 sides, of a diameter of 44 meters, it integrates cabins and Stalle S in its enclosure. Modern, it accommodates two steam engine dedicated to entirely electric lighting and the central heating. It is also about the first circus which integrates as of its construction a dresser and a refreshment bar, making it possible to make profitable a construction whose costs finally reached the double of the forecasts.
In 1888, the new city council man charged with the festivals and celebration, Jules Verne, is in charge of the follow-up of work, and it is him which inaugurates it on Sunday, June 23, 1889, for the opening of the fair and the centenary of the French revolution.
- “ the new circus is a work of art which your municipal administration wanted to equip with all the improvements of modern industry. It is most beautiful, without question, it is also most complete by its installations and its tools which were built in France and abroad. ”
The roof was damaged by a shell in 1916. The circus was used as decoration with Federico Fellini for the clowns (1971), and with film of Jean-Jacques Beineix, Roselyne and the lions (1989), with Isabelle Pasco for main actor.
Vaster of the circuses of province with its 3.000 places, this building acquires a multi-field use since it accommodates since decades of the spectacles of theater, of dance, sporting concerts, official receptions and public meetings.
Renovated in 2003, it bears from now on the name of Circus Jules Verne. After having accommodated the representations of the Circus Rancy, very popular in Picardy, it lodges in residence the circus Arlette Gruss.
The Perret Tower
See also: Turn Perret (Amiens)
Opposite the station of the north, whose district was rebuilt after having been shaven in 1944, the turn Perret is located (name of its architect Auguste Perret). High of more than one hundred meters, it is one of the first Gratte-ciel built in Europe a long time, and highest.
The Saint-Leu ChurchThis church was built at the end of the 15th century, on the model of the church-markets, it is dedicated, like its district, in Saint Leu, bishop of Direction of the 7th century, then exiled in the Vimeu. It has three naves. A blazing gate flowering ash the base of the bell-tower. This last, struck by the lightning, had to be remade at the beginning of the 16th century. The butts of beams are carved. The wood and stone statues date from the 17th century. The chorus shelters the Gloire Duthoit brothers.
Other interesting buildings or monuments
AntiquityMany archaeological excavations put at the day of the vestiges of the time proto-history at the time Roman. Two bored wells Gambetta place make it possible to observe some vestiges of the forum whereas the important vestiges of a large updated Gallo-Roman theater beginning 2007 during work of refitting of the place Alphonse Fiquet were destroyed in March 2007.
The archaeological garden of Saint-Acheul testifies to the human presence in the valley of the Sum 450.000 years ago. A stratigraphic cut, classified historic building since 1947, makes it possible to visualize the successive layers of the Valley of the Sum.
The Middle Ages
- the St-Germain church, unused but where are regularly held of the exposures on the color application the cathedral, and the St-Germain district, historical competitor of the district St-Leu. Animosity between the populations of these two districts marked the history of Amiens. This church has a high and curiously leaning tower. Touched by the bombardments of 1940, it was returned temporarily to the worship in October 1965 after a meticulous restoration.
- vestiges of the Hospital. (Saint-Leu district, between the CRDP and the FAC of science)
- the mills Master key before and Passe postpones (in Saint-Leu)
- the frontage Rebirth of the House of Sagittarius. (moved to be next to the Home of Roy)
- the Home of Roy. (faculty of arts until 2003)
- the Citadel: Initially Ravelin, set up in the north of the door Montrescu, the fortress is arranged in 1531 by F. di Giorgio under the order of François 1st (François Ier carries, with carved salamanders). After the catch by the Spaniards and his recovery by Henri IV (1597), Jean Errard receives the responsibility of rebuild defenses of the city.
- the Town hall (partly, partly 19th century). Regional style of stones and bricks, with Base of sandstone, and stone houses. On the pediment one finds the statues of the king Louis VI the Large and of the Geoffroi bishop, who granted freedom Amiens in 1115.
- the frontage of the old theater (currently a bank). It was moved of 4 meters for the alignment of the street of Three-Stones.
- the frontage of the barracks Stengel (currently residential building)
- the water tower and fountains of Amiens (1753)
- Abbey of Saint-Acheul () and the church (built in 1760 on the vault of Firmin saint)
- the Palate of Justice.Le Law courts of Amiens was built of 1865 to 1880. On its site rose the Saint-Martin-with-Twins Abbey of 1073 to the 1634 (established at the supposed place of the episode of the division of the coat of Saint Martin's day) then convent of Célestins of 1634 to 1781. Célestins, whose order was removed in 1778, left the places in 1881.
- the Henriville district, of which the hotel Acloque (style néo-Louis XIII), and the church Saint Martin's day (Néogothique, built by Louis Antoine in 1874).
- the house of Jules Verne, which was reopened after restoration, mid-March 2006, presents in particular the dining room neogothic and the office of time. The tower was covered with a sphere armillaire ordered with the artist François Schuiten, who also signs the mural fresco prolonging the imaginary garden of antan. Another place which concerns Jules Verne, in the metropolis, the cemetery of the Madeleine, where its tomb is. This one has as a characteristic to symbolize resurrection since its monument represents Jules Verne raising the flagstone which recovers it to leave there.
- the Dewailly clock, by Emile Ricquier (entirely remade in 1999), supplemented by the statue of " Marie without chemise" of Albert Roze, initially the Gambetta place, then moved not far.
- Old House of the Insurances, street Craze, built by Ricquier in 1893 (today bar).
- the Museum of Picardy was built of 1835 to 1869 by the Company of the antique dealers of Picardy which organized for this purpose three lotteries. The Prince Louis Napoleon posed the first stone of them. The access to the picture galleries of the first stage is done by a monumental staircase within a framework devoted to the famous mural compositions of Pierre Puvis de Chavannes. The Museum of Picardy shelters rich person collections of painting (works in particular of Fragonard, Chardin, Quentin the Tower and Millet).
- Library Louis Aragon, street of the Republic, built by François-Auguste Cheussey in 1823. Neo-classic style, peristyle with columns with barrels Tuscan.
- the monastery of the Visitandines, built between 1839 and 1841 by Herbault
- the Law courts, of the new buildings built by Cheussey in 1834 and 1846.
- Cathédrale of Amiens restoration by Cheussey 1816 to 1848
- the Place Saint-Denis (today Place Rene Goblet) is conceived in 1839 by the architect François Auguste Cheussey
- Parish church Saint-Firmin-the-Martyr (Cheussey 1843)
- the Hotel Bouctot-Vagniez (seat of the Regional court of trade and industry), built by Louis Duthoit in 1909, rare masonry amiénoise of Art nouveau
- the English district, located on the road of Longueau, in particular indicated by a phone box British. A London small island in the middle of Amiens.
- Together of buildings Art déco street Cauvin, as well as the garages Gueudet (street of the Hostages)
- the Saint-Honore Church, rebuilt between 1957 and 1961, by Paul Tournou, in the fields of the pontifical house of the World Fair of Paris of 1937
- the Saint-Pierre Church, destroyed in 1940, and rebuilt in 1949 by Evrard, glazed concrete, with a brick bell-tower.
- the House of the Culture, inaugurated on March 19th, 1966 by Andre Malraux, built by Jean Duthilleul
- Stage of the Unicorn, built in 1999 by the architects Philippe Chaix and Jean-Paul Morel
- the Hotel Vagniez-Renon (current seat of the Administrative court): old private mansion of Henriville, it shelters a room of Moorish hydrotherapy of style, conceived by Emile Ricquier
- Picardy Courrier: the seat of the daily newspaper of Amiens, initially Progress of the Sum , offers an illustration of Art déco.
The Market gardensClose to the downtown area, Marais extend on 300 hectares, cut out in gardens by the “rieux ones” (channels). They are the “market gardens” (hortillon means into Picardy market-gardening, which derives from hortillus , " small jardin" in Latin). One circulates there in the flat-bottomed boat, formerly called “boat with horn”, because of before very raised, allowing to accost easily on the fragile banks of the cultivated pieces. It is with the port of Upstream, located at the foot of the cathedral that every week the market is held on water, although the arrival in the boat of the market-gardeners is carried out only once the year, in summer. This market is always held achteure .
Parks and gardens
- the Saint-Pierre park, between the district Saint-Leu and Market gardens.
- the garden of évêché, with the foot of the cathedral.
- the botanical garden.
- the park of Hotoie and its zoo.
- the Field Alexandre, floral and landscape garden
- the archaeological Garden of Saint-Acheul: Internet site on this Garden
Districts and villages
The Saint-Leu districtWith the foot of the cathedral, traversed channels, this picturesque district was mainly rehabilitated during the years 1990. It extends to the channel from the Somme located more at north with the foot of the Saint-Pierre slope on which the fortress of Jean Errard, sobrement called Citadelle , was built. Historically, it was about the poor district of the city, where gathered tanners, butchers and dyers.
The Faculty of Science, present since the years 1960 was for the renovated and increased occasion. Economy and the Faculty of Law was also transferred in the middle of the years 1990 since the university campus (excentré in the south of the city) towards its new situation to the foot from the cathedral. The carpark with open sky which it replaces was a " fracture" in the landscape dating from the Second world war. It made it possible however to have a released sight of the cathedral. The majority of the masonries were renovated and transformed into housing including one great part for the students, many in the district.
This district became the heart of the evenings amiénoises. One finds oneself the night come in the many bars, the night center being place of the Gift and quay Bélu, other with dimensions of the Sum. One finds street Saint-Leu the church of the same name, located just between that and Faculty of Science of right-economy.
Two theaters are established in the district, that of Cabotans and the House of the Theater, with the foot of the Saint-Leu church.
The Saint-Maurice district
Located at the west of the Citadel and the east of the cemetery of the Madeleine, these very old popular quarters of Amiens, high industrial place of the 18th century, is in hand (2006) of rehabilitation with the construction and the restoration of many residences.
Bordered by the channel of the Sum, it offers a stopover for the yachtmen, which must pass a lock there.
The district shelters the old dyeing of Amiens, transformed to accommodate the University of art and design and the faculty of Arts. Not far, is the University of electronics engineers and electrotechnical (ESIEE). The Botanical garden known as " the Garden of Roi" will intra muros also belongs to the district.
HenrivilleThe district of Henriville is born at the 19th century, after the demolition of the ramparts of the city. One finds there houses middle-class, with a prevalence of brick, mélant the styles neo-classic, troubadour and neogothic. Are there also private mansions, like that of Acloque and the house Jules Verne.
The Pigeon oneAmiens, like all the other big cities, has its large bars HLM. Located at the north of the city on the heights beyond the citadel, the Pigeon one is popular quarters.
Saint-AcheulThis district existed before Amiens since the men lived there as of prehistory. Archaeological research gave the name of Acheuléen to one period of prehistory. An archaeological garden can be visited there freely.
It is also the district of the Hortillonnages, the Saint-Acheul church, a military necropolis of 1914-1918 and old Teacher training school Teachers become the College Robert de Luzarches. Part of the district includes/understands houses with the purely English style, from where its name of " Anglais" district;.
- Picardy Mail , regional newspaper
- France Blue northern Picardy
- Channel, local television channel
- the union Amiens
- France 3 Picardy
- alternate Newspaper Fakir
- To act as Picardy (newspaper of the District council)
- International festival of film of Amiens.
- International festival of Jazz.
- appointments of the data base of Amiens.
- the montreries (the brickyard).
- Picardy Mouv'. The Festival of the Current musics. (Assecarm and Région Picardy)
- the Museum of Picardy: large collection of archeology, sculptures and medieval objets d'art,…
- Museum of the hotel of Berny. Closed for work until 2012.
- Gallery of the Stained glass: Religious stained glasses of.
- House of Jules Verne: return on the traces of the writer in his residence amiénoise.
Festivals in outside
- the Festival in the city (mid-June). International festival of arts of the street
- redery of Amiens (fair to the secondhand trade) which sees coming each year more and more from world, as well from the professionals, French and abroad, as simple curious walkers. It is held 2 times the year, in spring and the autumn and accommodates more than 800 professional and particular exhibitors
- Chés Cabotans of Amiens (show-offs in Picardy): Founded in 1933, it is about a true small Picardy traditional puppet theater. Lafleur
, the hero, was born about 1811 in Saint-Leu, it speaks Picard exclusively. Equipped traditionally with a costume of lackey (capped red velvet of a tricorn), Lafleur is merry, dynamic, independent and débrouillard. Its currency in known as length on its character: " To drink well, eat well and then nothing faire".
- Albin of Simone
- The Strains
- the Picardy Fatals which represented France with the Eurovision 2007
- the committee Amiens Burning which gathers many groups Amienois
- Pies of duck
- Picardy Strings
- Macaroons of Amiens
- Tiles out of chocolate
- Cake of leeks with the leeks
Truck driverThe town of Amiens is served by the highway A16 & A29.
AirThe Aerodrome of Amiens - Glisy is located at 10 km in the east of the city.
FerrovaireThere exist 2 stations:
- the Station of Amiens, main station, known as station of north ;
- the station Saint-Roch (Somme);
A third station, offset, the station TGV High Picardy gives access to the network TGV.
Transport in commun runsThe network of bus is dealt with by Amétis, company of mixed economy, whose network covers Amiens Métropole (the city even and the neighborhood cities). The installation of ways of bus in Exclusive right of way began in 2006. The mayor, Gilles de Robien, dream to install in Amiens a tram which is being studied.
EconomyThe philatelic editors Yvert and Tellier (catalogs of quotations) and the Echo of the timbrology (magazine) have their direction in Amiens, even if they have several their services in Paris region. The group Gueudet, one of the most important automobile distributers in France, is established in Amiens since 1918.
Since the medium of the Years 1990, the city tries to convert with the economy of Internet and telephony. Many centers of calls opened mainly thanks to assistances of the city, area or State.
Amiens is the seat of the Regional court of trade and industry of Picardy. It is also the seat of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Amiens. It manages the Aéroport of Amiens - Glisy.
TeachingAmiens counts more than 26.000 students and gathers all kinds of higher formations, in particular:
the university of Picardy Jules Verne (UPJV) which has its seat in Amiens and includes/understands lesson in many fields
- Medical colleges and of pharmacy,
- Faculty of Law, science-policies and of economy (with the foot of the cathedral),
- Faculté of sciences (in the Saint-Leu district),
- IUP MIAGE (Methods applied information technologies with the Business management),
- Facultés of social sciences, letters, languages and STAPS (with the Campus of Southern Amiens),
- IUT Business management and Administrations, Informatique, Mechanical Engineering and Computer-integrated manufacturing, Civil engineering, Biological Genius and Co Tech (with the Southern Campus),
- Faculty of arts to the site of Dyeing (downtown area),
- Continuing education and e-learning (downtown area).
Preparatory classes at the scientific universities (Maths SUP MPSI, PCSI and Maths SPE MP, MP star, PC, PC star, PSI, TSI with the college Edouard Branly), economic sees scientific (ECS), economic preparatory class sees economic with the college Madeleine Michelis and economic preparatory class technological option with the college Edouard Ghent, bio-veto and arts persons (Hypokhâgne and Khâgne) with the college Louis Thuillier;
ESIEE : University of electrical engineering and electronics engineers;
- National college of business ( Sup of Co );
- ISAM : Institute of higher learning of administration and management (attached to the preceding one);
- ESAD : University of art and design.
School of Technician in Biomedical Analyzes (IFTAB);
- Schools of nurses and male nurses;
- School of midwives;
- School of masseur-kinesitherapist.
- Teacher training school teachers of Amiens
Thanks to its strong population coed, Amiens was seen decreeing the title of the most sporting city by the newspaper the Team in 2001.
- the Amiens SC, evolving/moving in L2, finalist of the Coupe de France in 2001.
- the Amiens AC, evolving/moving in CFA2 (D5).
- the Gothiques of Amiens, evolving/moving in Ligue Magnus, which were twice champions of France.
- American football:
- the Spartans of Amiens, evolving/moving in the Helmet of diamond.
- the AUC (Amiens University Club). Web site: AUCBadminton
Amiens accommodates since April 29th, 2006 the French federation of hockey created at the time of the world cup of Hockey of the group B (anteroom of the world elite) organized in Amiens at the same time.
|Random links:||Fra Angelico | Léonard de Vinci | Henri Bergson | Insertar (pelÃcula) | The Elm | Song Jiaoren | Gallatin School off Individualized Study|