BiographyIt is a Autodidacte, which begins adolescent with the practice of the low Guitare and is put quickly at the Contrebasse influenced by the jazz. He off studies the instrument during three years with the Guildhall School Music and Drama with London.
He implies in the Londonienne scene of the impromptu musics around the beater John Stevens. In 1968, Miles Davis and Philly Joe Jones intend it to play club of Ronnie Scott and Miles proposes to urge it to replace Ron Carter in its group. Its first recording as a member of the group of Miles Davis is the album Filles of Kilimanjaro (with Davis, Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter and Tony Williams). There will remain member of the group until 1970 and takes part in the albums In has Silent Way and Bitches Brew .
Following its departure of the group of Miles, Dave Holland integrates Circle , made up group of avant-garde of Chick Corea, Barry Altschul and Anthony Braxton, which marks also the beginning of a long collaboration with the label ECM. After several albums, the group dissolves shortly after the replacement of Chick Corea by Sam Rivers. In 1972 Holland records its first album as a leader, Conference off the Birds , with Sam Rivers, Altschul and Braxton. The album will be essential thereafter like a reference of the jazz of avant-garde of the time.
During the Seventies, Dave Holland continues its career as well as a leader as in Sideman, in particular with Stan Getz, Chick Corea, Anthony Braxton, Sam Rivers, and the Gateway trio with John Abercrombie and Jack DeJohnette. This trio records two albums in 1975 and 1977, which are recognized like important albums of the decade. The Gateway trio was reformed in 1994, generating two additional albums. Although Dave Holland recorded discs in solo and duet, the large majority of its work is carried out in small and average formation.
In the years 1980, Holland leaves the group of Rivers, and created its own quintet, while continuing an intense activity of sideman. It integrates young musicians of talents there, in particular Steve Coleman which will strongly contribute to the great success of the group. Its current quintet, composed of Robin Eubanks with the trombone, Chris Potter with the saxophone, Steve Nelson with the vibraphone and Billy Kilson with the battery, gained several nominations and victories with the Grammy awards. Holland has creates in 2002 a Big band whose base consists of its quintet.
DiscographyPrincipal recordings :
- Music from Two Low (with Philips Bar) - 1971 - ECM
- Conference off the Birds - 1972 - ECM
- Sam Rivers/Dave Holland, vol. 1 - 1976 - Improvising Artists
- Sam Rivers/Dave Holland, vol. 2 - 1976 - Improvising Artists
- Emerald Tears - 1977 - ECM
- Life Cycles - 1982 - ECM
- Jumpin' In - 1983 - ECM
- Seeds off Time - 1984 - ECM
- The Razor' S Edge - 1987 - ECM
- Triplicate - 1988 - ECM
- Extensions - 1989 - ECM
- Ones All - 1993 - Intuition
- World Trio - 1995 (with Kevin Eubanks and Mino Cinelu)
- Dream off the Elders - 1995 - ECM
- Points off View - 1998 - ECM
- Premium Directive - 2000 - ECM
- Not for Nothin' - 2001 - ECM
- What Goes Around - 2002 - ECM
- Extended Play: Live At Birdland - 2003 - ECM
- Overtime - 2005 - Dare2
- Critical Farmhouse - 2006 - Dare2
- Rarum, vol. 10: Selected Recordings - 2004 - ECM
- Official site of Dave Holland
|Random links:||Bonaventure Kalou | Polipropileno | Association the Room | Chaumontel | Comgall mac Domangairt | Tulež | Greg_Raymer|