Dana Andrews , of its true name Carver Dana Andrews, is an American actor born on January 1st 1909 and deceased the December 17th 1992. It is particularly known for its roles in the Most beautiful Years of our life of William Wyler and Laura of Otto Preminger.
BiographyBorn in a farm close to Hakes in the State from the Mississippi (County of Covington), it is the third of the nine children of Anice and Charles Forrest Andrews, Pasteur Baptist. It receives for first name the names of two of the professors of its father. The family is not long in leaving for the Texas, where it settles with Huntsville, birthplace of the more young children (of which the actor Steve Forrest).
After having followed the college on the spot, Dana Andrews made studies of management to Houston. He briefly worked as accountant for GULF & Western.
In 1931, it went to Los Angeles, to try a career of singer, while making small jobs, as pump assistant. One of its employers paid him studies of traditional song, like in Playhouse of Pasadena, prestigious theater and school of dramatic art. Andrews was engaged by Samuel Goldwyn and, nine years after its arrival in Los Angeles, was seen offering its first role to the cinema, in the western of William Wyler the Rider of the desert , whose star was Gary Cooper.
The role of Andrews in the Strange Incident of William Wellman, with Henry Founded, is often quoted like one of best of its beginning of career. It made excellent services in Laura , where it gave the counterpart to Gene Tierney and in the Most beautiful Years of our life , which gained nine Oscars. Many considers that it is about its best role.
However, since 1950, alcoholism started to disturb its career, and had even failed to cost him the life the wheel. It was confined with secondary roles and characters of series B, sometimes goods. (He declared one day that he had gained more in the real estate than as an actor). In 1972, after four years of sobriety, it was one of the first celebrities to make a public statement in favor of the Alcoholics anonymouses.
In 1963, he was elected president of the Guilde of the actors.
Dana Andrews married Janet Murray the New Year's Day 1932. She died in 1935, little time after the birth of their son David (musician and type-setter, died of brain hemorrhage in 1964). November 17th, 1939, he married in second wedding the actress Mary Todd. They had three children: Katharine, in 1942, Stephen, in 1944, and Susan, in 1948. In spite of her success, the family lived in a relatively modest house with Studio City.
In fine Ia of its life, Andrews suffered from the Maladie of Alzheimer. He died into 1992 of cardiac problems and pneumonia.
Partial catalog of films
- 1940 : the Rider of the desert ( The Westerner )
- 1940: Lucky Cisco Kid
- 1940: Sailor' S Lady
- 1940: Kit Carson
- 1941: the Road of the tobacco ( Tobacco Road )
- 1941: Beautiful Starr
- 1941: Fireball ( Ball off Fire )
- 1941: the tragic Pond ( Swamp Toilets )
- 1942: Berlin Corresponds
- 1943: Sharks of steel ( Divine Crash landing )
- 1943: the Strange Incident ( Incidental The OX-Bow )
- 1943: The North Star
- 1943: December 7th
- 1944 : Up in Arms
- 1944: Captive of Satan ( The Purple Heart )
- 1944: Wing and has Prayer
- 1944: Laura
- 1945 : State Fair
- 1945 : Crime passionnel ( Fallen Angel )
- 1945: has Walk in the Sun
- 1946: Canyon Passage
- 1946: Most beautiful Years of our life ( The Best Years off Our Lives )
- 1947: Woman or main ( Daisy Kenyon )
- 1947: Boomerang!
- 1948 : Night Song
- 1948 : The Iron Curtain
- 1948 : No Minor Defects
- 1948: Deep Toilets
- 1949: Britannia Mews
- 1949 : My Foolish Heart
- 1949 : Sword in the Serves
- 1950: Dixon Mark, detective ( Where the Sidewalk Ends )
- 1950: Edge off Doom
- 1951: the phantom Crew ( Sealed Cargo liner )
- 1951: I Want You
- 1952 : Assignment: Paris
- 1954: the Track of the elephants ( Elephant Walk )
- 1954: Three hours to kill ( Three Hours to Kill )
- 1954: Duel in the Jungle
- 1955: Strange Lady in Town
- 1955: Smoke Signal
- 1956: the Fifth Victim ( While the City Sleeps )
- 1956: Comanche
- 1956 : the Incredible Truth ( Beyond has Reasonable Doubt )
- 1957: Zero Hour!
- 1957 : Spring Meeting
- 1957: Go with the fear ( Night off the Demon )
- 1958: Enchanted Island
- 1960 : The Crowded Sky
- 1962 : Madison Avenue
- 1965: In Harm' S Way
- 1965: Brainstorm
- 1965 : Ace in the World (1965)
- 1965: Town Tamer
- 1965 : Battle off the Bulge
- 1965: The Loved One
- 1966 : Johnny Reno
- 1967 : Hot Rods to Hell
- 1967 : Cobra II
- 1968: the Brigade of the devil ( The Devil' S Brigade )
- 1972: Innocent Bystanders
- 1974: 747 in danger ( Airport 1975 )
- 1976: the terrible Ride ( Take has Hard Wrinkles )
- 1976: the Last Nabob ( The Last Tycoon )
- 1978: Good Guys Wear Black
- 1978 : has Tree, has Rock, has Cloud
- 1978: Born Again
- 1979 : The Pile
- 1984: Prince Jack
- Although Dana Andrews tried a career of singer before launching out in the cinema, it sings only in one film State Fair (1945) - and its voice is doubled there!
- Its role in Go with the fear of Jacques Tourneur ( Night off the Demon , 1957), is worth to him to be quoted in the song Science Fiction Doubles Feature Rocky Horror Picture Show : Dana Andrews said plums gave him the runes (Dana Andrews says that the plums had given him the runes/la current).
|Random links:||El AMI Zetterling | If Versailles were told to me… | Heiden | Gail Towards | H5N1 slightly pathogenic | Government Gizenga II | Chino_XL|