See also: Spirou
Spirou HeDBo is a magazine Hebdomadaire of Franco-Belgian prepublication of Cartoon , published since the April 21st 1938, it appeared initially under the name of Journal of Spirou . Imagined since 1937 by the editor Jean Dupuis, this review profited as of its creation from the participation from authors from talent. Its name comes from the word Wallon spirou which indicates as well a squirrel as a mischievous child.
Whereas other periodicals for youth ceased with the exit of childhood of the baby-boomers ( Tintin , Pilote …), Spirou survived and celebrated its number 2000 (in 1976), then its number 3000 (in 1995), while keeping to a certain extent its initial spirit of unslung creativity, but while evolving/moving for the age bracket concerned, of the children and pre-teenagers in the beginning, with the pre-teenagers and teenagers today. It will fètera its 70 years on April 21st, 2008.
Successive Editor associations were: Jean Doisy (1938-1955), Yvan Delporte (1956-1968), Thierry Martens, Alain De Kuyssche (1978-), Philippe Vandooren (1982-), Patrick Pinchart (1987-1993 and 2005), Thierry Tinlot (1993-2004), Olivier van Vaerenbergh (2005-2007) and the trio Sergio Honor - Benoît Fripiat - Frederic Niffle (2007…).
The name of the newspaper refers to the hero of the principal cartoon published in this one: Spirou .
This character of Cartoon is created by Rob-Vel for the newspaper since 1938. Spirou has, at the origin at least, the appearance of a Groom, equipped in Rouge and Noir (no matter what with the wire of time one gave him a style more relaxed, except for an episode unfinished of with Yves Chaland and published in 1982, which took again the esthetics of Jijé and the first accounts drawn by Franquin). The young gatekeeper in Moustic Hôtel is sharp like the squirrel and has, in addition, the russet-red hair. The series was then taken again by Jijé, alias Joseph Gillain, with which it newspaper of Spirou must much. Then it was the turn of Franquin to take again the adventures and to give its true noble letters to the character.
Its peregrinations are told in the adventures of Spirou and Fantasio (then, in parallel, as of the end of the year 1980, in those of the Petit Spirou ).
Chronology of the newspaper
- July 23rd 1942 (Number 30/42): the Blue Sparrowhawk. Sirius was not draftsman and was not called Sirius: it had given this name to a series of headings in a daily newspaper. When he learned that the drawings of a colleague reported more than his texts, he bought a pencil and started to make data base. the Blue Sparrowhawk impassioned the readers but irritated certain authorities Frenchwoman, which hated the Science-fiction (the Sparrowhawk visited the the Moon, heresy for the time). It was necessary to stop the series during 21 years.
- 1946 (Almanac 1947): The first history supplements Spirou by Franquin; the first Lucky Luke; the first Valhardi of Eddy Paape… This historical album is worth million today.
- January 2nd 1947 (Number 455): Spirou published a very popular chronicle of aviation, animated by Georges Troisfontaines. At the end of the war, it decided to write a scenario for a data base which would put in scene American aviators in fight against the Japanese. Very quickly, the scenario was entrusted to a beginner, Jean-Michel Charlier, which drew also the planes and the boats; the remainder was drawn by Victor Hubinon and the hero had the head of… Georges Troisfontaines. The series was called Buck Danny.
- January 31st 1952 (Number 720): Franquin was embarrassed for the scenario of the adventures of Spirou and Fantasio. To which test was going it to subject Spirou and Fantasio so that they gain the heritage of the uncle? It is while shaving that it found the idea: a fabulous animal which was going to become a Héros with whole share. The Marsupilami.
- September 11th 1952 (Number 752): Johan and Pirlouit. Already in 1946, Peyo had published adventures of Johan (then small fair) in a daily newspaper. But a meeting, by chance, with Franquin pushed it to introduce its character to Mr. Dupuis. Pirlouit appeared two years later only.
- March 4th 1954 (Number 829): Jerry Spring . Jijé had spent some time to the the United States and the Mexico; he liked to draw the Chevaux. Mr. Paul Dupuis wanted of new a Western in Spirou. They were made to get along. Jerry Spring became a model for good of other draftsmen.
- December 23rd 1954 (Number 871): Into its series Cableway and Cirage, Jijé introduces a Pastiche of the character of its buddy Franquin: a Marsupilami without tail, goulu and idiot.
- November 24th 1955 (Number 919): Dare-devil. It was a newspaper, the big brother of Spirou. Intended for a public a little older, it published the best authors of the time: majority came from Spirou, but it there had also Albert Uderzo and Rene Goscinny, which carried out the one of both only data base by itself and which was strangled of rage by noting that one had changed (for reasons of translation) his title Capitaine Cockerel, as a Bibobu Captain.
- September 20th 1956 (Number 962): Gil Jourdan . Maurice Tillieux had already illustrations in the Forties. Its detective series will make date and undoubtedly remain, to date one of best the whodunnit of all data base.
- February 28th 1957 (Number 985): Gaston Lagaffe. First appearance in the newspaper of the character of Franquin, unrecognizable for the readers of today: costume, bow-tie, leather godasses and intimidated air. Ca will not last.
- June 13rd 1957 (Number 1000): It was in N°1000 de Spirou: Franquin had drawn thousand heads of Spirou (character) (and one of Gaston)… a drawing which had asked for three months of work to him. When Mr. Dupuis saw for the first time this drawing, it pushed a sorry howl. An inkpot had been reversed on the document. But was to laugh, a false spot of plastic ink in .
- February 13rd 1958 (Number 1035): Jean-Michel Charlier, which was documented much in the military aviators for Buck Danny, had obtained certain documents representing a sight of Mitrailleuse recent and secret. An article in the newspaper mentioned the fact and added some a little: " Two very polished Sirs came to ask us or we still held these details classified… ". The following week, two very polished Sirs but very really card holder Secret actually came to the Drafting to ask to us whether we had the description of the first two Sirs, probably of the spies…
- March 13rd 1958 (Number 1039): Beginning of the adventures of a very old sailor of known name under the name of Old Nick which faces the most frightening pirates of the seas. Of which one of the name of Bore-Black which will finish by him stealing the high-speed motorboat.
- April 3rd 1958 (Number 1042): Special issue Spring of Spirou, printed with the Ink scented. Several workers of the workshop of stitching are reached faintnesses due to the odor.
- July 2nd 1959 (Number 1107): Mini-account. A simple idea: one detaches the central pages of the newspaper, one folds them into two, into four, one cuts out the edges and one obtains a all small album easy to hide in the schoolbooks. Of any great authors of data base made their beginnings there.
- July 2nd 1959 (Number 1107): The Schtroumpfs. They had seemed episodical characters in the adventures of Johan and Pirlouit in 1958. As they were very small, they constituted ideal characters for the first mini-account.
- December 24th 1959 (Number 1132): Ball and Bill. Roba had worked in the advertizing. In 1957, a buddy had said to him: " I have an appointment at Spirou. You want to come with me to present your drawings? " After some illustrations and short stories, Roba launched its little boy accompanied by a Chien. The buddy forever be committed.
- March 16th 1961 (Number 1196): Alcide Citrix is a frightening hunter of deer. He heard of a legendary bird: the Flagada. He wants to capture one of them. For that, it goes on the paradisiac island where the Flagada is. There, convinced by the life of dream on the island, it becomes friendly with the Flagada and has nothing any more but one goal in the life: to drive out the intruders to continue to live in peace. Initially presented in the form of mini-account, this series of Charles Degotte then made the beautiful days of the newspaper.
- April 12th 1961 (Number 1204): The mini-account of the week of Paul Deliège and Maurice Rosy my in scene a convict who was condemned to 30 years of forced labors because it had stolen the bicycle of the judge. Its name, Sore.
- December 14th 1961 (Number 1235): Number of Christmas: the cover represents the Marsupilami. The tail of the animal is represented by a long yellow string with black spots. The joining of the string was ensured by the prisoners of the prison of Charleroi.
- August 8th 1963 (Number 1321): First invention of Brilliant Olivier by Jacques Devos.
- March 19th 1964 (Number 1353): Chaminou. Raymond Macherot had been specialized journalist in the crushed dogs. Its photograph was appeared in the newspaper at the time: one made it pass for the Colonel Macherov, a Soviet agent . It launched in the newspaper a superb series called Chaminou, but Mr. Dupuis asked him to remake a nicer history… It was Sibylline.
- June 13rd 1968 (Number 1574): The very first stories of prolific the Raoul Cauvin report the vexations of two chips Arthur and Léopold. Raoul Cauvin will write several other scenarios thereafter. To note that the political events of the time will somewhat occult this merry entry in Cartoon.
- October 29th 1968 (Number 1585): The draftsman Salvérius wanted to launch out in a Western. He had created small a Gold digger, but Raoul Cauvin convinced it that the American Civil War constituted a better subject of series. When Salvérius died in 1972, it is Lambil which took again the drawing.
- February 26th 1970 (Number 1663): Natacha. François Walthéry worked in the studios Peyo (Schtroumpfs, Benoît Brisefer) and it wanted to create a series with him all alone. But which character to choose? The Editor association of the time had of the girlfriends airline hostesses and the suggestion came quite naturally.
- September 24th 1970 (Number 1693): Roger Leloup had worked with Hergé, creating enter others the plane of Vol 714 for Sydney. After a passage at Peyo, he preferred to fly of his own wings, or rather of those of the Japanese electronician Yoko Tsuno.
- March 17th 1977 (Number 2031): the Illustrated Trombone. Launched for the first time by Franquin and Delporte, animated by draftsmen come from all the horizons, realized in the cellar from Spirou, the Illustrated Trombone knew a short but enthralling existence (one will retain of them especially the Black thoughts of Franquin).
- April 20th 1978 (Number 2088): The grandfather of Franquin had a Potager that it had without ceasing protecting from the moles. This situation amused much Franquin. It is on this basis that he proposes with Frederic Jannin to draw the mishaps of Arnest Ringard and the mole Augraphie.
- November 13rd 1980 (Number 2222) Beginning of the " tops of pages" virulent drawings located in top of the pages of the newspaper, and intended to raise with the readers all the secrecies of the newspaper. Initially Frank, Geerts and Yslaire they will very quickly be taken again by Yann and Conrad which will illustrate 576 tops of the page.
- March 19th 1981 (Number 2240): Beginning of a series with you " Merry laughter at all costs " , Women in white of Bercovici and Raoul Cauvin.
- September 29th 1983 (Number 2372): Tombstone. Raoul Cauvin, has which Marc Hardy had required a scenario, required of him to send all the sketches which trailed. As the majority as of these sketches represented alive deaths and things of in addition to-world], it was decided to create a series with a Fossoyeur.
- October 27th 1983 (Number 2376): Jojo came by chance: one of the advertisements advertizing executive had not arrived in time. One asked Geerts to stop the hole with small a Cartoon.
- August 6th 1985 (Number 2469): Improbable meeting between the Small Men in the adventure the Pickpocket and Scrameustache which saw its own adventure in the same number under the title Kromoks in madness.
- December 23rd 1986 (Number 2541): The Christmas special issue sees the arrival of a little boy to the fair hair of the name of Cédric.
- October 7th 1992 (Number 2843): Clarke was subversive. As hero of its first stories, it had chosen the Burglars. Later, it wanted of a history with monsters and Vampires, it was Mélusine.
- August 11th 1993 (Number 2887): At the time the newspaper a heading on the Video games of the name of Shazam had. To animate this heading Midam created the character of Kid Paddle, each board illustrates one of the three video games presented in the heading, before Kid Paddle is not definitively independent of the heading.
- January 11th 1995 (Number 2961): For a few weeks, a curse had seemed to strike page 13: from the heroes disappear, others (of competition) saw themselves there printed, etc In spite of sends Exorciste S and other finance managers, nothing made there. Only solution: To remove the page 13 which, since, was replaced by a page 12 (a).
- October 11th 1995 (Number 3000): This number comprised a CD or certain sound elements agreed with certain pages of the newspaper.
- April 10th 1996 (Number 3026): Following underhand machinations, Raoul Cauvin, was found with the head of the newspaper. This newspaper will be famous sobrement " Cauvin".
- November 20th 1996 (Number 3058): Special Spirou in 3D gràce with the technique ChromaDepth, then far from known in Europe, renamed for the occasion Spirouvision .
- April 22nd 1998 (Number 3132): Special issue for the 60 years of the newspaper. It is, in fact, dated April 22nd 2038 and celebrates the 100 years of the newspaper, with inside a facsimile of the special newspaper for the 60 years.
- September 30th 1998 (Number 3155): A baby prevails with the drafting. Result: boards are gribouillées, ruffled and thus quasi-illegible.
- April 14th 1999 (Number 3183): All the draftsmen of the newspaper are reached of chinistrose, a disease transmitted by Larves of a tiny insect, Cunaptisis which lives in the Indian ink. The number is almost entirely drawn by Bercovici.
- January 5th 2000 (Number 3221): The newspaper is reached bug of the year 1900. The newspaper celebrates happy new year 1900 with its readers. It is printed on yellowed blotting paper, the texts are printed under the boxes.
Among the series diffused by the newspaper, one can quote Spirou and Fantasio, small Spirou, Cédric, Kid Paddle, Game Over, Mélusine, Parker and Badger, Zapping Génération (which was called before: Zappeurs), Nelson, Oscar, Ludo, Violine, Tamara, the Navels, Adostar (which was called before: Ego generation)…
Historically, of the series founders was the blue Sparrowhawk , Timour , Jerry Spring , Jean Valhardi , Lucky Luke , Buck Danny , Johan and Pirlouit (joined later by the Schtroumpfs ), Marc Dacier , Gil Jourdan , Hultrasson , Tif and Tondu , Vieux Nick and, of course, the Beautiful stories of the uncle Paul which testified to an interest reality to cultivate youth and provided to the generation of the baby boomers their very first cultural references: Spartacus, Choiseul, Georges Guynemer, Crepin and Crépinien, Bernard Palissy, Louis Pasteur, Abd El-Kader, Nicolas Copernic, Paul de Tarse, Jean-François Champollion, Galileo, Surcouf, Jack London, Androclès, Régulus , Charles Dickens, Roald Amundsen, Raoul Follereau, Esope, Robert Peary, Alfred Nobel, Louis Blériot, Samuel Morse, Clement Ader, Andrew Carnegie, Charles Nungesser, Thomas Edison, Heinrich Schliemann, etc In parallel, a heading like the Fretterer and of the contests to the tests sometimes completely removed from rim caused the imagination and the inventiveness of its assistantship. The Créativité with the honor in the magazine, was materialized a long time besides at the beginning by heroes like Fantasio, then later by Gaston Lagaffe second manner. Bobo also appeared in stores.
Elements now disappearedStrong elements of Spirou were at one time:
- the Fretterer , who always left to research why things. The Fretterer coordinated an abstract organization readers, the ASBC ( secret agents of the clandestine good ), a kind of Scoutisme removed from his appearances.
- a you knew it drawn each week, very inspired of the , and which did not haggle over the striking image.
- beautiful stories of the uncle Paul , series telling each week an edifying history, and which expressed a certain ambition to open the assistantship with the taste of the culture, and sometimes of the topicality.
- the mini-accounts , to fold and cut out initially in a sheet united with the newspaper and drawn in offset, then directly in the central pages of the newspaper. A test of mini-delivers of 8 pages joined to booklet 418 in 1946 (" one stole the plans of V2") had remained without continuation. Two supplements in Spirou N°1000 which made it possible to manufacture two mini-books announced the premises of the mini-accounts. The first mini-account was published on an experimental basis in Spirou 1107 the black schtroumpfs , of Peyo. It was followed by 10 mini-accounts out of the ordinary inserted like loose leves in the booklets and not taken again in the collections of which first appearance of Ball and Bill " Swell and Bill against the minis-requins". The mini-accounts of central pages will be inaugurated by “Sports shirt and the satellites” and will make popular the mysterns of Devos . More than 550 mini-accounts will be published and will contribute in the development of the newspaper in the years 1960-1970
Parmi the authors of mini-accounts we will quote: De Gieter (Pony), Deliège (Cottage, Superdingue, Sore), Bissot (the baron and Juju), Turk (Archimedes), Lagas (Sam and the bear), Degotte (Flagada), Salvérius (Small Cactus), Denis (the Brothers Clips) and well of others.
- the supplement interns the illustrated Trombone
- These covers which you should not see which showed parodies of the real cover of each number.
- Summary , a synopsis told as a cartoon on a half-page. Several draftsmen made their first weapons on this heading.
- Certain series or headings knew their hours of glory, even if they were not published a long time, like the heading 33 rue Carambole. Others were famous years lasting for their precise details and were an immense success: Spirou-car/Choke animated by Franquin then taken again by Jidéhem or Spirou-aviation animated of long years by Jean-Luc Béghin.
A permanent inventivenessWith the number of examples of the imagination of the newspaper, one can quote:
- the transblagues , posters whose direction changed whole with the whole as soon as one lit them by behind
- a cartoon with stripes drawn by Morris (effect of animation on a tape by a grid in celluloid with parallel stripes)
- a Labyrinthe in 4 dimensions (in fact, twice two, on a sheet comprising of the holes allowing to pass on one side to the other).
- Its sense of smell and issues of April first
- Its contests whose tests, close to the treasure hunts of tourist rallys, required “sense of smell, sense of smell still”.
- the sporadic irruption characters right in the middle of the newspaper
- the number 1000, whose cover comprised nine hundred and four twenty ten nine heads of Spirou drawn by Franquin (more one head of Gaston), and who contained an extrapolation in reduced format of what would be perhaps Spirou number 2000 (out-of-date heroes and anchylosed of rheumatisms, Buck Danny become general, etc).
- a specimen entirely drawn by Bercovici.
- number 3000 was accompanied by CD providing the band of the newspaper.
- a poster joining together number of covers of Dupuis cartoons, representing with final gigantic head of Spirou.
- the illusion of a newspaper " croqué" (traces of teeth and ends of page of the shape of a jaw) to illustrate special Spirou " Crannibales "
- the use of a 12B page instead of 13, following large a saga based on a hypothetical curse
Evolution of the title of the magazine
In 1938, the newspaper is launched under the title the newspaper of Spirou
- Towards 1947, it takes the name éponyme, simple, of Spirou
- Towards 1988, it takes the name of Spirou Magaziiiine (with 4 " i")
- Towards 1993, it becomes again Spirou
- In January 2006, it becomes Spirou HeBDo . To this occasion, the editor and the editor association of the magazine gave an interview to the site ActuaBD.com.
InformationThe page 13 does not exist . The organization of the pages is indeed the following one: page 12; page 12 (a); page 14. Superstition due to the “curse” of page 13 in the years 1990.
- a very complete chronology of the Newspaper of Spirou, of 1938 to 1946 with many anecdotes
- the official site of the magazine
- Personal site proposing a base of very complete data of what was published in Spirou
- Personal site with new documents on the Newspaper of Spirou
- very complete Personal site on the newspaper of Spirou
- Personal site presenting of the scarcities
|Random links:||Nigritella | Marek Krejčí | Chrysopelea ornata | 1846 in France | Monastery of Tronoša | Coregonus|