The Conquistadores (term which means conqueror in Portuguese and Castillan) are the Soldat S, exploring, Aventurier S of 15th, 16th and 17th centuries which seized immense territories in the Monde in the name of the crowns Spanish and Portuguese. The conquistador term designates a Spanish adventurer or Portuguese party with the conquest of America. This episode of the history is indicated under the term Spanish Colonisation of Americas.
The voyages of Christophe Colomb made it possible the Spain to send colonists on the American continent. Little time after the return of Colomb, of the Expédition S was organized to conquer and évangéliser the Nouveau World .
Many a conquistadores was small landed proprietors (noble not very fortunate) hidalgo S , of which much came from extreme Estrémadure “and lasts”, authentic, hard to cook, individualists, mercenaries in the heart, lovers of the challenges which wanted to grow rich in the “Indies” because they could not do it in Europe.
Greatest successes were those of Hernán the Cortes in Mexico, then of Francisco Pizarro and Diego de Almagro in Peru. With troops quite lower of number than those of the empires to which they were attacked, they managed to subject and eliminate the most powerful sovereigns, helped by a technological superiority some, an unshakeable determination, political circumstances exceptionally favorable and - it should be said - a total lack of scruples and honesty, like by the propagation of many diseases brought by Europeans and the Africans, which decimated the inhabitants of the New World for which they was completely new (Variole, Grippe, Typhus…).
Rumors making state of quoted of gold circulated. Thus, a marvellous city bearing the name of Cibola would be in North America and Eldorado in South America. Several forwardings left to research these cities, but the many ones returned bredouille or while bringing back less gold than they did not hope. It found other noble metals like the money, which was particularly abundant for him (mines of the Potosí).
Certain Spaniards, as for example Bartolomé de Las Put took the defense of the populations autochtones, because many conquistadores were cruel towards the Indigène S which they massacred or réduirent in Esclavage. In 1542, laws to protect the natives were promulgated, but few colonial administrations respected them when they entered in opposition with in particular mining profits.
In 1552, Bartolomé de Las Put published Brevísima relación destrucción of mow Indias , delivers of which were used for the other European powers to criticize Spanish colonization and often made a pretext of it to attack the galleons which brought these immense richnesses in the metropolis.
The abuses the conquistadors were denounced in the apostolic letter Immensa Pastorum and the encyclical Lacrimabili Statu.
Spanish conquistadorsHere a list of conquistadores and exploring Spanish. You will find between brackets the date of the conquered or explored places and the years concerned.
- Diego de Mendes (Yucatan, 1506 - 1512)
- Pedro de Alvarado (Mexico, 1519 - 1521, Guatemala 1523 - 1527, Peru, 1533 - 1535, Mexico, 1540 - 1541)
- Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón (east coast of the the United States, 1524 - 1527)
- Vasco Núñez de Balboa (Panama, 1510 - 1519)
- Sebastián de Belalcázar (Ecuador and Colombia, 1533 - 1536)
- Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (south-eastern of the the United States, 1527 - 1536, South America, 1540 - 1542)
- Hernández de Córdoba (Yucatán, 1517)
- Francisco Vásquez de Coronado (south-eastern of the the United States, 1540-1542)
- Hernán the Cortes (Mexico, 1518-1522, Honduras, 1524, Low-California, 1532-1536)
- Juan de Garay (South America, 1543-1583)
- Juan de Grijalva (Yucatán, 1518)
- Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada (Colombia, 1536-1537, Venezuela, 1569-1572)
- Francisco de Montejo Yucatán, 1527 - 1546
- Pánfilo de Narváez (Florida, 1527-1528)
- Diego de Nicuesa ( Panama, 1506-1511)
- Cristóbal de Olid (Honduras, 1523-1524)
- Francisco de Orellana (river the Amazon, 1541-1543)
- Francisco Pizarro (Peru, 1509-1535)
- Gonzalo Pizarro (Peru, 1540-1542)
- Juan Sandpapers of León (Puerto Rico, 1508, Florida, 1513 and 1521)
- Gaspar de Portolà (California, 1769 - 1770)
- Hernando de Soto (south-eastern the United States, 1539-1542)
- Martin de Ursua, (Petén area of the Guatemala, 1696 - 1697)
- Pedro de Valdivia (Chile, 1540-1553)
- Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar (Cuba, 1511-1519)
- Lope de Aguirre
- Antonio de Abreu, (Indonesia, 16th century)
- Alfonso de Albuquerque (India 1503, Madagascar 1505, Island of Socotora 1506, Ormuz 1507, Goa 1510)
- Pêro de Alenquer, (African Coast, 15th century)
- Francisco de Almeida, (India, 16th century)
- Francisco Álvares, (Ethiopia, 16th century)
- Jorge Álvares, (China, 16th century)
- Fernão Worse of Andrade, (China, 16th century)
- Diogo de Azambuja, (Coast of North Africa, 15th century)
- Pêro de Barcelos, (North America, 15th and 16th century)
- Pedro Álvares Cabral (Brazil, 1500), Madagascar)
- João Rodrigues Cabrilho, (California, 16th century
- Alvaro Caminha, (Holy Divided into volumes and Príncipe, 15th century)
- Pêro Vaz de Caminha, (Brazil, 16th century)
- Gonçalo Coelho, (9782747510073}}
=== related Article ===
* [[Hidalgo (nobility)|Hidalgo]], title of small nobility established at the conclusion of the '' Reconquista ''
[[Category: History of Mexico]]
[[Category: Conquistador or Spanish explorer|*]]
[[Category: Portuguese explorer|*]]
[[Category: Worsen Spanish]]
[[be: Conquistadores españoles]]
[[it: Conquisitatores Hispani]]
[[nl: Conquistador (geschiedenis)]]
[[the U.K.: Конкістадор
Random links: Eagle boot | EP-tsaï | Stations depths | Marc Vilrouge | Anti-worlds