Located at the top them water To combine it, on a cliff, the houses, the church and the old castle of the village is exposed in height, tightened between medieval ramparts of which they remain only turns, curtains and doors strengthened.
Climate - FloraMediterranean microclimate - the flora is very rich there - more than 65 listed species different of which cactus (variety from cactée " opuntia humilis").
- This site revealed by some fortuitous discoveries as of the end of last century is the subject of excavations only as from 1968. Its dating of 2 million years ago does of them one of the paleontological sites oldest of Europe. The geological context (volcanicity) allowed the conservation of remainder of fossil, remarkable animals by their quality and quantity. Those go from the greatest species of terrestrial mammal: an elephant, with the infinitely small: the hull of an ameba of 1/100e of millimetre.
Certain parts are single in Europe. The vegetation of the time is reconstituted little by little. In 1974 the setting at the day of " rollers aménagés" (lithic industry?) with caused the agitation of the world of prehistory. It would indeed indicate the existence of Hominides on our continent eurasiatic 2 million years ago - Source Conference " The site of Chilhac and the question of the beginnings of humanity in Eurasie" by Odile Ox, paleontologist, CNRS
- In connection with paleontological sites of Haute-Loire (France), reflections concerning final Pliocène 2,60 and 1,80 My. by Odile Ox University of Poitiers, " Of the indices lithic makes it possible to have a presentiment of a human presence on the continent eurasiatic which could be effective towards 2,6 My. (Puy-de-Dôme), more in the South in the department of the Haute-Loire, on the sites of Chilhac (with more than 2 My.) "
- Chilhac was quoted dice 1875 by the discovery of bones then studied in 1892 per Boule which determines Mastodon arvernensis, Rhinoceros leptorhinus. and from 1968 of serious campaigns are carried out by CH. Guth leading in 1976 to discovered of 2 craniums of Archidiskodon (Elephas) meridionalis and in 1980 a cranium of Anancus arvernensis… and very many fossils discovered was distributed between many museums. HTTP: /www.minerauxetfossiles.com/revue/dernier_numero/numero_info82.htm
Places and monuments
- strengthened Village built on a basaltic cliff, dominating To combine it of more than 70 meters.
- Saint-Honorat Church - Romance Church of XIIe century - Registered Historic building (1925)
- a porch of entry of XVe century
- Suspended bridge of Chilhac - 1883 - To combine. - Type of work: Suspended bridge in wire - Architect: Ferdinand Arnodin
- Museum Christian Guth - Museum of paleontology in the old presbytery (discovery of defenses of Mammoth by professor Guth)
Personalities related to the commune
- Common of the Haute-Loire
- " First suspended bridges of Ferdinand Arnodin in Saint-Ilpize and Chilhac" , by Bars Michel, 1992
- " Flora of Chilhac" : knowledge, protection, management and development, Report/ratio, by Canet S. & Tournaire F. - University Blaise-Pascal Clermont II: 77 pp. (1996)
- " Discovered, in 1984, of new paleolithic tools with Chilhac III (Haute-Loire) " - Bulletin of the French Prehistoric Company. Reports of the Monthly Meetings Paris 1985, vol. 82, no2, pp. 56-64
- Chilhac on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Chilhac on the site of INSEE
- Chilhac on the site of Quid
- Localization of Chilhac on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Chilhac on Mapquest
- Photographs on the built inheritance of Chilhac
|Random links:||Cop-the-Herpy | LUGs in France | Alessandro Moreno | Araucaria cunninghamii | Zhu Jianhua | Comité_directeur_du_centre_de_Kennedy|