GeographyChauvigny is located at the east of Poitiers and in the west of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, it is sprinkled by the Vienna
HistoryOf Latin Calviniacum , Chauvigny very early occupies an important place due to its situation on a rocky outcrop dominating Vienna. With 10th and 11th centuries, the bishops of Poitiers raise their castle there. During the War One hundred Year old, Chauvigny, in the middle of the storm, is devastated by the troops of the Count de Derby in 1346.
Ten years later the troops of the Prince Noir followed those of Jean the Good pass to Chauvigny before going to clash with Nouaillé-Maupertuis where Jean the Good will be made prisonnier.
In 1372, Of Guesclin and Jean de Berry, drive out the English but, in 1412, Chauvigny falls between the hands from the English troops from the duke from Clarence.
In 1562, the Huguenots occupy Chauvigny, then are driven out by the royal troops. They return in 1569 with Gaspard de Coligny at their head before the Bataille of Montcontour. The castle, the city and the church St Pierre are plundered and incendiés.
During the Sling, in 1652, Charles Chasteigner, marquis of the Rock-Posay, occupies the city and the castle and their fact of undergoing plunderings and fires. The same year it will be dislodged by the duke of Roannes.
In 1708, all being only ruins, the Parliament discharges the bishops from the obligation of maintenance; with the Revolution, the ruins became " career publique" , the inhabitants worsen the damage by tearing off the interesting stones. In 1843, the State entrusts these ruins to the Société of the antique dealers of the West which succeeds in saving them by repairing walls and buttresses.
Places and monuments
the collegial Saint-Pierre (11th century-12th century) is a church-market with three vessels. It was started with the Abside and was finished hundred years later by the Nef. Outside, square on double bay floor, superb Bell-tower Bedside richly sulpté. The interior of the church was unfortunately batiolé at the 19th century, but the capitals of the chorus with déambulatoire and radiating chapels introduce a rich person carved decoration (monsters, allegories of Babylon…) and dedicated: " Gofridus me fecit".
|Random links:||Frapelle | (94) Aurora | Vault-of-Bragny | Antoine de Mitry | Confederation of the trade unions independent of Latvia | Chemin_de_fer_de_Ferrymead|