See also: Charenton
Its inhabitants is called Charentonnais.
The city extends on 1,85 km ² (one of the smallest communes of the Valley-of-Marne, only 5 others being less wide) and is entirely urbanized (14 369 hab/km ², one of the density highest of the department and among highest of the small Parisian crown). It is also skirted by a highway along the Seine and crossing right through by a trench containing of the ways of railroad coming from the Gare de Lyon like, on its western part, by the marshalling yard of TGV of Bercy-Conflans. It however succeeded in preserving a center architecturalement coherent around its town hall and of its principal church.
Localities and variationsBercy, Conflans, Careers, the Borough-of-Bridge and, influence on the wood of Vincennes the " Plateau".
Charenton-the-bridge is equipped with two stations of Métro (line 8: Charenton - Schools, Freedom).
Charenton-the-bridge is crossed by the lines of bus:
HistoryThe city owes its name with the presence of a bridge mentioned as of the 7th century. The city was formed by the meeting of four boroughs and four seigniories and occupied in the beginning a surface more important than at the present time, since it extended until Bercy until in 1791 and had part of the Bois of Vincennes (flat of Bercy) until in 1929.
Located at a strategic site (proximity of the capital, existence of a bridge allowing to cross the confluence of the the Marne and the the Seine), the city was the theater many combat, since the Guerre One hundred Year old until that of 1870. In September 1590, at the time of the head office of Paris, the Spaniard Alexandre Farnèse takes the city, which makes it possible to supply the capital besieged by Henri IV (Eighth war of religion).
After some hesitations, it is indicated to shelter the protesting Temple of Paris allotted by the edict of Nantes. During the Protestant rising of 1621, the Protestants are massacred there after the failure of Luynes to the head office of Montauban.
The city is also known for its old “lunatic asylum” which lodged, inter alia, the Marquis de Sade episodically, then definitively of 1803 to its death in 1814. This establishment became now the Esquirol Hospital located on the common neighbor of Saint-Maurice, but remains specialized in psychiatric medicine.
Charenton-the-bridge counted 26.582 inhabitants at the time of the Recensement of 1999, which made the 18th the most populated commune of it Valley-of-Marne (on 47 communes on the whole).
EconomyBercy 2 , Shopping mall of 71 signs for 36.000m ², is located at Charenton-the-Bridge in edge of the peripheral Seine and .
This shopping mall, inaugurated the April 24th 1990, is work of the architects Renzo Piano and Jean-François Blassel. The structure, whose curve follows the turn of the peripheral, evokes large a Dirigeable. It consists of a timber structure, glaze of stainless steel tiles, forming a large market closed of the outside and lit by the Verrière of the roof
Essilor , Head office. With nearly 30.000 collaborators in the world, the 1st European manufacturer of optical glasses chose 147, rue de Paris to install his head office.
- Parish church Saint-Pierre (1859), has a Pietà 16th century, Baptismal font of the 17th century and a martyrdom out of bronze of François Rude (1855).
- Vault of Conflans (vault of the old small seminar of Paris)
- Church of worship protesting
- Synagog (construction 2005)
- Some vestiges of the Castle of Bercy which rose with height of 10-16 rue Marius Delcher: houses of entry of the commun runs and the stables, had with Jacques of Guépière, n°s 109 and 114 rue du Petit-Château; the street follows the layout of the old transverse alley of the forecourt of the castle).
- Grid of entry of old the Castle of Conflans.
- built House (?) by B. Cénamy which shelters the town hall.
- parochial Registers and of civil statue since:
- genealogical Examinations:
- municipal Deliberations since:
- the French realizer Jean-Pierre Blanc was born there the April 23rd 1942.
- the French painter Louis Toffoli lived there most of its life.
- the athlete Stephan Diagana lives there.
- Common of the Valley-of-Marne
- Conflans, locality of the commune
- Official site of the town hall of Charenton-the-Bridge
|Random links:||Canton of Manzat | Jean-Baptiste Jourdan | Mustela africana | Bay of Hillsborough | Richard Peduzzi|