Castle of Vallière
The castle of Vallière is with Mortefontaine (Oise). It was built in 1894 for Agénor de Gramont (1851-1925), duke of Gramont, and the duchess, born Marguerite de Rothschild in the Large Park from the vast domain of Mortefontaine, which had belonged to Joseph Bonaparte. This field had been acquired by the duke of Gramont in 1890 of Mrs. Corbin, small-niece of the baroness of Feuchères, heiress of the last prince de Condé.
The field, located at the north of the road coming from Plailly and energy with Fountain-Chaalis or Ermenonville, extends on more than 1.500 hectares. It includes/understands the vestiges of an old park with factories arranged towards 1780 for the financier Louis the Furrier of Morfontaine, like four ponds, painted by Watteau and Corot, of which vastest is the lake of the Spine auprès whose the castle is built. The park, rather strongly undulating, is treated with English. It includes/understands the house of Vallière, which was used as appointment of fishing and place of festivals, as well as many vestiges.
The castle offers a neo-gothic silhouette with Renaissance frontages inspired of the castles of the Val-de-Loire. It includes/understands a vault, a theater and thirty rooms which had been equipped with all modern comfort, each one comprising a bathroom with WC. It is decorated with the portraits of family of Gramont, most recent by Giovanni Boldini and Philip Alexius de Laszlo and of pieces of furniture coming from the Sac of Beijing.
The field also included/understood kennels, a pheasantry, greenhouses of orchises, a stud farm and superb stables. In the park, one finds a memorial set up by the House of Gramont to his deaths of the First World War.
A service of slow train was established by the duke of Gramont between the station and the castle, comprising sixteen gray horses harnessed by five and carried out by capped postilions of a top hat.
In Vallière, the duke of Gramont organizes huntings for pheasant, duck or the stag while the duchess makes represent parts of Eugene Labiche or tables alive.
Terrace of Vallière, Marcel Proust, come to assist, on July 14th 1904, with engagement of Armand de Gramont to Élaine Greffulhe, will see, over the ponds and foliations, the towers of the cathedral of Senlis.
The frontages and the roofs of the castle are registered with the additional inventory of the historic buildings.
old Postcards on the field of Vallière
|Random links:||Union of the radical republicans | Colturano | All for one | My girl/Stepping into line | Allantoïne|