Its inhabitants is called the Châteaulandonnais or Castel Landonnais .
Localities and variations
One counts about thirty hamlets around the city (classified alphabetically): Bigonneau, Bruzelles (surrounded by fields, accounts for 1 km of Landon Castle), Chancepoix, Flumottes, Foljuif, Fontaine, Fusselette, Grand Gasson, Grands Mills, Heurtebise, Jallemain, the Harmony, the Semi-Voice, the Small plank, Raperie, the Bridge of Dordives, the Calf, the Hillocks of Lorroy, Gauthiers, the Waistcoats, the Mills of Repeau, the Rooms, Orchards, Lorroy, Mézinville, Mocpoix, Moucheny, Moulin of Waistcoats, Néronville, Nisceville, Palleau, Petit Gasson, Pont Frank, Touvent.
The communes bordering are:
- Souppes-sur-Loing (where is located the Gare of Soups - Castle-Landon)
HistoryOccupation of the site as of prehistory: nearly twenty prehistoric sites, in which one discovered Neolithic tools, allow to estimate that the origin of the city goes up at that time.
The Gaulois build a Oppidum on a rocky outcrop
-52 front J. - C. Jules César makes the seat of it
504 while returning from Lutèce where it had gone to cure the king Clovis, holy Severin dies there. An abbey with its name will be set up. The city will become the place of an annual pilgrimage.
The dynasty of the Plantagenêts was born with Castle-Landon in 1043 with the birth from Foulque IV from Anjou, said Réchin , small son of the count d' Anjou. The city belongs to the “ pagus Wastinensis ” (Latin name of the Gâtinais = country of Gâtines) whose Castle-Landon will be the capital.
1068 the Gâtinais enters the royal field in 1068. The city thrives with the Moyen-âge. It is held important fairs and markets there. Castle-Landon belongs to the 17 “draping” cities of France. The presence of three churches, three abbeys and of the Saint-Andrew Priory show the prosperity of the city as of the XII° century. The city is a trade and crossing point, because of its proximity with the fairs of Lagny-sur-Marne and Provins.
The end of the Middle Ages and the wars successive, lead to the depopulation of the city. Castle-Landon develops an activity based on the extraction and the size of the stone.
After the Second world war, the city makes new great strides while becoming an important French cereal pole and develops the tourist activity
- Notre-Dame Church of the Assumption XIIe and XIIIe centuries, whose bell-tower dominates the area of its 57 meters. This strange building mixes the styles Carolingian, novel and Gothic. The bell-tower, that the light and the wind cross right through, is single in the area. The more one goes up, the more the windows appear tall, these differences in sizes representing the passage of the novel to the Gothic. The clock located on the bell-tower of the church disappeared at the time of the storm of December 1999 and was not given at the time of the important restoration of the bell-tower which followed.
- the Hospital which was the place of refuge of the pilgrims and the patients
- the factories and the tertiary sector are practically absent from Castle-Landon
- the Tourisme is stimulated by its proximity of Paris (with 100 kilometers, with an exit of the highway A77 with 5 kilometers and a station in Souppes). The particular architecture of the city (in particular of the ramparts) in fact a regional attraction.
- the Agriculture is very present: Cereal S and sugar Beet S (intended for the sugar refinery close to Souppes-sur-Loing)
Community lifeThe seat of the International union of the guides and scouts of Europe is in the commune.
- Saint-Severin : at the beginning of the Life century its fame on its supernatural virtues and its cures, had arrived to the court of the first Christian king Clovis which he cures by covering it with his own coat. Landon castle becomes a place of pilgrimage
- Foulque IV of Anjou, known as Réchin , ancestor of the English royal family of Plantagenêts, born with Castle-Landon in 1043.
Tourist monuments and places
the Tower Madeleine : the oldest monument of the city, built on defenses of this one. Its architectural style makes it possible to date it from the XI° century.
- Vestiges of the rampart and sound Covered way
- Two Postern S Northern and South which give an outline of the difficulties for the attackers of investing the city
- the Tower Saint-Thugal , remains of a Basilique Xe century
- the abbey Saint-Severin , whose impressive frontage is supported by buttresses
- the cellar of Templiers
- the Tower Saint-Andrew old place of worship of the priory served by the monks of the Abbaye Saint-Pierre de Ferrières in Gâtinais.
- the 17 Laundrette S distributed along the Charcoal
- the Mint
- the Stone-built house
- the Mill of Beaupoivre
- the park of Tabarderie,
- the bridge of César
- the way of César in the dubious beginning. It is sure however that 60.000 men of the legions of César took this way to fight the revolt of the Huns (52 av J-C). This way was with the wire of the centuries an important way for the trade.
- the Race of the Ramparts : races on foot of various categories around the city. Its passage by the ramparts, and thus its very selective relief, make of it a meeting appraisal of the amateurs, and attracts them of all the area. On August 15th, the second weekend of September disputed since 2003. But, it does not take place any more since 2005
Twinning, to see
|Random links:||Saint-Florent (Loiret) | Liquid glass | Asmodeus | Cubase | Gisele Loth | Hauts_bancs,_la_Caroline_du_Nord|