See also: Manor house-Sarrazin
Castelsarrasin (sometimes spelled in " Castelsarrazin" /occitan: Los Sarrasins ) is a common French, located in the department of Tarn-et-Garonne in area the Midday-Pyrenees.
The inhabitants are called the Castelsarrasinois .
During the French revolution the city was called Mount-Sarrazin.
HistoryThe first unquestionable trace of the existence of Castelsarrasin goes back to the year 961. Its name, Manor house Sarracenum , would indicate " the Château builds with the manner of the Sarrasin s". But it seems well that the Arab do not have to in no case taken part in the creation of the place.
The first unquestionable trace of the existence of Castelsarrasin goes back to the year 961. This year there, Raimond I, count of Rouergue, gives by will to the Abbaye of Moissac, the church Saint-Saver (always current name of the church of the city - to see photo) and his grounds.
The beginning of the history of the city is marked by the wars: against English until the end of the 12th century, then Albigensian Crusade during first half of the 13th century. At that time, the city is managed by Consul S and receives his first habits (texts of right governing the city) in 1230. To, the Flood S, the Plague, and especially the Guerre One hundred Year old will devastate the country which will know only a few tens of years of lull at the beginning of.
Because, as of 1560, begin the wars of religion during which, Castelsarrasin the catholic, is with the catches with the remainder of the area, rather protesting. The church Saint-Saver is besides one of rare which has escaped with the destruction in the sector.
At the end of the 17th century, Antoine Laumet, known as Lamothe Cadillac was born with Saint-Nicolas-of-the-Serious, not far from Castelsarrasin. Sent by the King of France to the America S, it founded there the town of Détroit, then was named governor of Louisiana in 1710. As a sign of recognition, Détroit gave its name to the famous mark of cars and of the “Cadillac Meetings” are celebrated every two years with Castelsarrasin.
The following centuries, until the Revolution of 1789, will be calmer. In Castelsarrasin, like everywhere in France, the end of the 18th century will be agitated, with the installation of the Republic, then 1st empire.
Starting from 1850, the city which counts 7000 inhabitants starts to develop and to extend, in particular thanks to the arrival of the Railroad, then of " Usine". In the same way, in 1875, a barracks is built; the city has still today its regiment which contributes largely to its dynamism.
At the 20th century, in spite of the terrible bleedings of the two wars, the city continues its expansion until our days when she affirms herself like the second economic site of the Tarn-et-Garonne.
Places and monuments
Church Saint-SaverIt is located place of the Reason. Registered on the additional list of the general inventory of the Historic buildings.
Mentioned as of 961, the church Saint-Saver was rebuilt in 1254, " in a sumptuous way ". It ensured until in 1626 conventual functions (priory of the abbey of Moissac) and remained until the most important Révolution of 1789 of the churches of the diocese Bas- Montauban.
Bell-tower-turn of octagonal form, on 2 floors separated by an external cord. 32 coupled windows and with semicircular arch.
Movable of the east classified Historic building. It is composed of splendid woodworks coming for the majority from old the Abbaye from Belleperche acquired in January 1799 and from furnace bridge S and angels from Marbre.
Stained glasses signed and gone back to Joseph Villiet, Louis Gesta and Henri Feur
Window presenting various objects of worship behind the high altar. The church shelters the relics of the owner of the city, Saint Alpinien, companion of Saint Martial, evangelists of the Gallic province called " Aquitanian " (13th century).
the woodworks Come from the abbey of Belleperche, acquired in January 1799:
- a dresser of Organ (18th century) whose topic is musical teaching.
- stalls (17th century) the chorus does not shelter any that 39 on the 80 of origin
- a door (18th century) certainly representing family members of Arcombald, founder and bienfaitrice of the abbey of Belleperche.
- the Chaire (S)
- the praying mantis (18th century)
- carries (17th century) of the sacristy representing the Apôtre S Pierre and Paul carved in relief in a completely masterly way.
- the high altar (18th century) very out of marbles Polychrome S.
- the angels admirers (18th century) cut in a very pure white marble
- the furnace bridge of the vault Saint-Alpinien (18th century) composed of polychrome marbles
- the Bénitier S (S) come certainly from Belleperche
- a statue of the virgin to the child out of fine carved wooden - beginning 16th century
- a polychrome wood statue (18th century)
- a Mounting out of wood gilded (19th century) containing the relics of saint Alpinien
- a house out of gilded wooden (18th century).
Church Midsummer's Day
It is located at the end of the street Paul-Descazeaux The Chevaliers of Midsummer's Day of Jerusalem are present in the surrounding countryside as of the 12th century (Midsummer's Day church of the Vines). Mentioned as of 1216 downtown, the church is rebuilt partially in 1515.
- Built brick, structures heavy, Voûte S of low warheads.
- Bell-tower-turn on 2 floors, each one of its faces openwork of two windows, on semicircular arch, Second surmounted floor of a hexagonal arrow with edges with the openwork faces of small openings in the shape of Maltese cross.
- Stained glasses of L.V Gesta of Toulouse
- interior Decoration carried out in 1924 by the painter Tarn-and-garonnais, Strapping man-Lala. Interesting armorial bearings of local characters.
Vault Notre-Dame d' Alem
The first title attesting the existence of this vault dated June 7th 1210. From time immemorial the fame of Notre Dame d' Alem was large. The vault a long time diverted towards it the Jacobites passing by Toulouse and Moissac. Destroyed with three recoveries (War One hundred Year old, Wars of religion and Revolution of 1789), it is still today upright.
It owes two of its resurrections with two " miracles " :
- the wish of Sancerre (One hundred Year old War). The marshal Louis de Sancerre, taken refuge in the ruins of the vault, beseeches the Virgin and promises to rebuild this one if it gains the victory.
- the wish of Galatoire of Spain (Revolution). Imprisoned in the convent of the Visitation, this noble, relative of emigrants promises to rebuild the vault, if he escapes the Guillotine.
Old religious establishments of the city
Castelsarrasin counted five religious establishments. Two of them were ruined with the French revolution.
Convent of Dominican (1602-1792). Site of the music school and the Media library. No the Vestige S.
Monastery of the Capuchins (1602-1793). No the vestiges
Monastery of the Carmelite friars (1282-1794): Site of the town hall, old the Court and old the gendarmerie
Convent of the Ursulines (1642-1792). Site of the sub-prefecture
Priory of Midsummer's Day (1282-1789). Site of the Convent and the vault of the sisters of the Compassion.
The town hall
It is located place of Freedom. Construction of the architect Rivet in 1827. Lighting clock manufactured by the largest clock and watch maker, Parisian the Lepaut, in 1847. Framed statues of Minerve (trade) and Cérès (agriculture), work of the Toulouse sculptor Palat.
Several buildings or streets deserve the visit.
House Rebirth (place of Freedom) Private
Hotel Lamothe-Cadillac (n° 6 place Lamothe-Cadillac) Private
House of the abbot of Prades (9, rue du ordering Châtinières) Private
Half-timbered house (49, rue de la Révolution) Private
Street of Discretion
Street of Loneliness
War memorial, public garden Aristide Briand
Personalities related to the commune
- Abbot François de Prades maintenor of the Floral Plays of Toulouse, priest of the church Saint-Saver
- Pierre Perret (born in 1934), Song writer and performer
- Adrien Alary, French Politician
- Antoine Laumet (1658 - 1730), known as Laumet of Mothe, sior of Cadillac, Adventurous, governor of Castelsarrasin, founder of Strait, governor of Louisiana
- Charles de Mazade-Percin ( 1820 - 1893), historian, political journalist, academician
- Antonin Delzers (1873 - 1943), Master-engraver, Grand Prix of Rome (1900), medal of honor of the engraving of the Living room of the French artists (1926)
- Louis de Guiringaud (death with Castelsarrasin in 1982), ambassador of France, Foreign Minister, city council man of Castelsarrasin
- Henri Pottevin (1865 - 1928), chief of laboratory at the Institute Pasteur, mayor of Castelsarrasin, deputy, senator
- Admiral Henri (Adrien, Barthelemy, Louis) Rieunier (1833 - 1918), Grand Cross of the Legion of honor, military medal-holder, Minister for the Navy (1893), appointed Rochefort-on-Sea (1898-1902), pioneer of the Japan Meiji and of the Far East.
- Gaston Bénac (1881 - 1968), sports correspondent, creative of the " Grand Prix of the Nations "
- Frederic Cayrou (1879 - 1958), felibre, senator
- Jean Dezos of the Rocket (1784 -?), geographer
- Marcelle Duba (1899 - 1981), Poétesse
- Common of Tarn-et-Garonne
- Official site of the town of Castelsarrasin
- Castelsarrasin on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Castelsarrasin on the site of INSEE
- Castelsarrasin on the site of Quid
- Localization of Castelsarrasin on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Castelsarrasin on Mapquest