Charles Dillon “Casey” Stengel (born the July 30th 1890 or 1891, and deceased the September 29th 1975) was a popular player of Baseball as well as a manager with the Yankees of New York. It accepted the nickname “Casey” of Kansas City, Missouri, where it was born. In these youths, it was also known like “Dutch”, a popular nickname at the time for the American of descent German E.
Career as player
Career as manager
Yankees of New York
Mets of CaseyAfter the circuit of Bill Mazeroski in 9th handle of 7th and ultimate match of the world Series of 1960, giving the victory to the Pirate of Pittsburgh in front of the Yankees, Casey Stengel is congédié, under pretext which it is now too old to direct a team of baseball. " I will not commetterai the error twice to have 70 ans" , Stengel is ironical.
After sabbatical one year, it is engaged as manager of the Mets of New York. Being ironical about the reasons of its departure of the Yankees, Casey Stengel declares: " It is an great honor for me to join Knickerbockers" , referring to a former team of baseball newyorkaise which played its last match at the time of the Civil war.
At the time when Stengel is engaged by the Mets, it takes the head of a team of expansion, not very qualified and on which few hopes of success are founded. The new manager will make happiness of the partisans and the journalists assigned to the cover of the young team, by his tasty charisma and his comments with the press. " I have been in baseball for hundred years, and they show me manners of losing which I did not know encore" , he exclaims while speaking about his team, " I have of them one which can launch but which does not catch, one which catches but cannot launch, one which can strike and anything else… "
The Mets of Casey Stengel, which it affectionately calls its Amazin' Mets , will finish last on 10 teams in each of the 4 seasons when he will be the manager. Despite everything, the Sports shirt Grounds, initial residence of the team, is always full to crack. Stengel takes its retirement the August 30th 1965, following a bad fall with the Stade Shea, the new residence of the Mets, where it is wounded with a hip.
- Casey Stengel is member of the Temple of re-elected baseball since 1966.
- Its number 37 was withdrawn by the Yankees the August 8th 1970, then by the Mets.
- It was established with the Temple of re-elected Mets of New York in 1981.
- Casey Stengel is the only individual to have belonged to the 4 teams of baseball which the town of New York to the knew XXe century: the New York Giants (as player), the Brooklyn Dodgers (as player and manager), the Yankees and the Mets (as manager).
- a commemorative plaque in its honor was affixed with the Yankee Stadium the July 30th 1976.
- the plaza located near the Shea Stage, residence of the Mets, bears the name of Casey Stengel Plaza .
QuotationsCasey Stengel was the specialist in the sentences alambiqués not having any direction.
- “Now you align yourselves alphabetically, of smallest with largest.”
- “I made two decisions, but I did not choose the good one yet.”
- “the majority of people of my age died per hour that it is.”
- “I intended to say that it was impossible, but Ca always does not go.”
|Random links:||Canton of Saint-Michel-sur-Orge | Isabelle Carré | Nick Refusals | Rosario Ruggeri | Counts and princes of the House of Nassau | Artiste_de_Digitals|