The carries stars is an imaginary object used in the universe of the film Stargate and of its derivatives (televised series, novels). A door of stars makes it possible to travel in an quasi-instantaneous way between different Planet S.
DefinitionA carries stars ( “stargate” in VO or “chappa' have” in Goa' uld) is a device intended to handle the Espace-temps, mainly with an aim of creating a Trou of worm (also called vortex in the VF of the series) to travel quickly between two points of the space time.
The principal use of a door of stars is thus to travel very quickly from a place to another of the Galaxie by using a tunnel hyperspatial towards another door of stars provided that this one is on a planet or its orbite.
This Téléportation is possible by breaking up the matter constituting the traveller at the subatomic level and by sending the matter flow through the vortex created.
Five models of doors of stars are currently known:
- the traditional model with rotary ring, whose Anciens (and Goa' uld) equipped certain planets with our galaxy;
- the modern model whose Old ones equipped certain planets with the galaxy of PEGASE;
- the model ori, a door of (very) great dimension used by Oris;
- the model tollana, built and used by the Tollans;
- the artisanal model, built on Earth with terrestrial materials by Orlin, Old of passage.
The door of stars
DescriptionA door of stars is appeared as a large ring of approximately 6,70 m of diameter and of a weight of approximately 32 T, comprising a sliding part on which symbols are engraved (39 for the traditional model, 36 only for the modern one). This sliding part acts like a selector while turning on itself on a side or other. Last nine “rafters” are laid out regularly around the ring and engage at the time when the selected symbol passes in front of them. The apparent operation of a door of stars is thus not without recalling the old men Téléphone S to rotary dial where the numbers were laid out in circle. The doors of stars are manufactured in Naquadah, an unknown metal on ground extremely resistant and superconductive. The doors of stars are thus almost indestructibles.
The handling of the sliding ring and the rafters is not obligatory to open a door of stars. By using a controller, it is possible to open a door very quickly. Such “a remote control” is normally available beside each door of stars and is called a D.H.D. “DHD” comes from English “dial home device”, i.e. “apparatus to telephone the house” (one will note the analogy with the famous counterpart of the film E.T “E.T telephones house” to indicate the desire to turn over at home).
Discovered on EarthThere were two doors of stars on Earth, one with Gizeh in Egypt, brought by the Goa' uld Râ 10.000 years ago and a second in the Antarctic, creates by the Anciens million years ago.
The door of Gizeh was discovered in 1928 by a German Egyptologist, professor Langford. It was brought back in Germany and studied. Langford thought that it was a kind of door mythical of beyond, because of approximate translations of the former Egyptian indicating it as “Sky Carries”, or “Paradise Carries”. DHD as for him was discovered during the Second world war by the German army.
- At the end of the war, the army states-unienne discovered the Door and brought back it to the USA for study. The DHD as for him was found by the Soviets who brought back it in the USSR.
- In 1945, Pr Langford, his/her daughter Catherine, and been engaged of this one Dr. Ernest Littlefield, tried to make function the door. Not having nor DHD or computers simulating it, they had to handle the door manually, by testing addresses randomly since they did not know any. They managed to open the door for an unknown destination. Ernest went voluntary to pass, and vêtu of a diving-suit, it crossed the Door. There be problem of electricity supply of the Door, connection was cut and Ernest never returned. Following this failure, the army released the project and locked up the door in a container sealed in a corner of arsenal.
- research showed however with beginning of the year 90, under the impulse of Catherine, now reprocessed. Thanks to Daniel Jackson, a combination was discovered, and the army managed to simulate a virtual DHD. The door was reopened in 1996. This allowed the sending of “a first” mission of exploration, on a planet of the name of Abydos, as well as the release of people controlled in slavery by a alien, the Goa' uld Râ…
- Laissé only among the people of Abydos, Daniel Jackson found a list of coordinates of other doors. After was highlighted the fact that the threat Goa' uld was not isolated (after a removal on Earth), it was decided the creation of a special division of the air force charged to explore the galaxy, to obtain information on Goa' uld, to form alliances and to collect knowledge and technologies to ensure the defense of the Earth. Thus the “SGC was created” (Stargate Command), which controls the door and sends teams of exploration on another planets (teams “SG”: SG-1, SG-2, etc).
- In 1997, Ernest was finally found, after 52 years last only on a deserted planet, very near to Abydos on the scale of the universe.
- the Door of the the Antarctic was also discovered in 1997, by Jack O' Neill and Samantha Carter (episode 01x18: Reported missing ). It was put stored in the Zone 51 then stolen and was used a time clandestinely by the NEST before being given this time under saddles there.
- In 2000 (episode 03x22: Némésis ), SG-1 téléporte the door of Gizeh on the vessel of Thor, infested Réplicateur S and about to be crushed on Earth, to escape. The door of the Antarctic then replaces it in the SGC.
- Some month later (episode 04x07: Turbid water ), one learns that makes the door of Gizeh of it survived the crash landing and is used by the Russians (who have priority with their true DHD), before a cooperation agreement makes them use the door of the SGC exclusively.
- In 2002 (episode 06x02: Redemption (2/2) ), the door of the SGC is destroyed to escape the weapon from Anubis, and the SGC recovers the Russian door, not without a very advantageous agreement for the Russians who will allow them to recover the Korolev. The door of Gizeh then finds its place in the SGC.
Directions for use
To travel between two planets, each one of it must have a door of stars in good state. It is then necessary to enter the starting door the Coordonnée S of another door which one wishes to reach. Once the entered coordinates and if all is well, a “vortex” (or tunnel) space-time is formed between the two doors: one enters by a door and one arises from the other. The vortex remains active as long as matter or electromagnetic waves cross it, but cannot theoretically remain activated more than 38 minutes.
Caution! The physical bodies can travel in the vortex only in one direction, under penalty of disintegration! To travel in opposite direction, it is necessary to close the vortex then to reopen it since the other carries. Certain waves electromagnetic S as the waves radio can, they, to circulate in the two directions. It is thus possible to discuss by radio between two doors connected by a vortex. On the other hand, the electromagnetic waves belonging to the spectrum of the visible light do not cross the door, from where the fact that it is opaque on both sides of the vortex.
To enter the coordinates of a door which one wishes to reach, one generally uses DHD ( to see image ). One selects 7 symbols which constitute the address of the desired destination (the first 6 symbols represent 6 faces of a cube in the center of which the planet is, 7th is the starting point - of origin - of the traveller) then one presses on the central red button of validation and the vortex is formed. If the desk of control does not exist (or was broken), it is possible to operate the door manually, while making turn the ring to the hand. If the door of arrival is not reachable for any reason (destruction or obstruction of the passage), the seventh and last rafter will not engage, and all the others will be decontaminated immediately. It one of the security systems is placed on the doors by the race of the Anciens.
If not, the door can be remote-controlled by any compatible apparatus, but that requires a advanced technology that have only certain races like Nox. The Naquadah of the door which can sufficient accumulate energy only for only one opening, the desk of control is also used to feed the door in energy. If the desk of control is inalienable, it is necessary to feed the door by another means (the lightning, electricity, cold fusion…).
The Old ones, creators of the door of stars, can order the doors by the thought thanks to their special capacities ( seen in the two series ).
An address with 8 rafters is used to call another galaxy, the additional symbol acts as a code of zone (but the address always ends in the point of origin). It for example is made by it use to go in the galaxy of Ida (Asgard) in the episode 2x15. It is necessary in this case to use an auxiliary energy source (like a E2PZ) because of the longest distance. The Ori draw even from this case in the power of neighbouring black holes in order to feed their superportes.
The role of the 9th rafter, according to Peter DeLuise, is used to go in another reality or for another kind of universe but is not used to in no case, in accordance with certain rumors, to travel in time, the Old ones having created a special Jumper allowing them this kind of excursions ( to see SG-1 8x20 and Atlantis 1x14 ). One will know some more in the 3rd series, Stargate Universe .
Symbols of a door of the Milky Way
| | |}
The door of stars of Orlin
Orlin, a Old having made its rise (and exiled on an uninhabited planet to have enfreint the law of non-intervention in the life of “not-climbed”), found refuge on Earth in episode SG-1 5x03. In the cellar of the captain Casing, it built a small door of stars of single use with land materials bought by Internet, in particular of titanium, the cable, the industrial condensers and a toaster. It is still a typical example of technology of Old. With ordinary materials, they manage to build incredibly advanced machines, but often, these rudimentary machines do not resist more than one use (cf episode SG-1 2x15). It is often impossible deferred action to include/understand how they function.
The door of the stars tolaneThe Tollans are sufficiently technologically advanced to know to build doors of stars. After having their original planet flees (episode 1x16), they found refuge on another planet not equipped with a door of stars by the Old ones. They thus built their own door (seen in the episode 5x09). Many more stripped than the doors stars of Old, the door of the stars tollana are a simple metal ring, without moving or luminous part.
The door of stars of the galaxy of PEGASE
This type of door of stars, models more recent built by the Anciens, team certain planets of the galaxy of PEGASE ( to see Stargate Atlantis ). Its principal characteristic is more not to have a rotary ring. It is not thus a priori more possible to manually operate this type of door of stars. The rotation of the ring is symbolized by twinkling lights. In addition this network of doors undoubtedly has only 36 symbols, due to the fact that the galaxy of PEGASE is smaller than the Lacteous Voice. Certain doors are in orbit around planets (see image opposite) .
Among these doors, one is particular: that which equips the city with Atlantis. Equipped with a crystal of special control, it is only galaxy of PEGASE to being able to open a vortex towards another galaxy, and thus to being able to join the Earth.
Symbols of a door of the galaxy of PEGASE
| | |}
The superporte of Oris
The Ori S seeking at all costs to conquer the Milky Way since their galaxy, on several occasions built doors of very big size (900 to 1100 meters in diameter) to make pass a fleet of spaceships (episodes SG-1 9x06 and SG-1 9x20). These doors consist of a chain of floating elements inter-connected in space. The size of this door and the distance to be traversed between the two galaxies are such as these superportes require a microphone-singularity, or black hole (obtained by compressing a planet with a field of force) to feed in energy. These doors can be activated only starting from one another galaxy.
See also: Superporte (Stargate)
Other uses of the door of starsAs explained previously, the door of stars is not only one means of transport. It is used to handle the space time and can thus be used for any other task requiring a handling of the space time:
Travel in timeIt was noted that the use of a door of stars during a solar eruption moved the point of arrival in time, but not in space. In the episode 2x21, the team SG-1 is thus brought back in the year 1969. By configuring the door carefully, it is possible to travel in time in a precise way, even without solar eruption (like Cassandra in this same episode does it). Another voyage in time by using an solar eruption is made in the episode 4x16 - 2010 .
Insulation of a zone of the space timeIn the episode 4x06 - the History without End , a scientist, using a machine of old, activates simultaneously several doors of stars around the same point to isolate a zone from the space time. Time does not pass then more normally, but buckles there ad infinitum, except for the people taken in the sphere of activity of the machine.
Déséquilibrage of the core of a starIf the vortex is badly insulated, it can affect the places by where it passes. The doors comprise a safety detecting this kind of problem and send an error code, but as terrestrial DHD does not include/understand this code, Samantha Carter decided in 2001 to pass in addition to, and failed to destroy a sun (episode 5x05).
Increase in the range of a signalAs the waves can pass through the door, it is possible to transfer a whole panel from signals on another planet or all at the same time using a macrocommande written by Ba' Al (the Last Chance - 08x17)
OperationIn this part, one will expose the inner working of a door of stars.
Energy supplyTo create a distortion of space requires a considerable energy. To open a vortex, the door of stars first of all accumulates energy in a battery with the Naquadah. Ambient energy not being sufficient to charge this battery in a reasonable time (contrary to smaller apparatuses as the lance Goa' uld), the door must be strongly fed in energy before an opening of vortex. Generally, it is the DHD which is used as auxiliary accumulator to charge the door with stars. In the absence of DHD, the door must be supplied with another means. The interface of energy supply of the door is not complex: a simple physical contact is enough. Put aside DHD, the energy sources sometimes used are:
- electricity, via superconductive rings (with the SGC)
- the lightning (episode 1x10 - Tantalum torment)
- cold fusion (episode 2x03 - Captive )
- of the batteries of trucks (episode 2x21 - 1969 )
- the energy of a black hole (episode 10x03 - Drive out-crossed )
- the energy generated by a bomb Mark 9 modified can engage the process of activation (episode 10x03 - Drive out-crossed )
- an engine with Naquadah (Stargate SG1 - Atlantis)
- a EPPZ (Atlantis)
When the 8th rafter is used to call another galaxy, the energy expenditure increases: a DHD is not enough any more. An additional source must be used. Known examples:
- an auxiliary generator built by Jack O' Neill under the influence of old (episode 2x15) the
- a EPPZ (or E2PZ ): E xtractor of the P otentiel of P oint Z éro (or ZPM in VO: Z ero P oint M odule )
Once the established vortex, the door must always be fed in order to maintain connection. In all the cases, beyond approximately 38 minutes, consumption becomes such as it is impossible to keep the passage open… unless having a really important energy source, such as that provided by a black hole or an unlimited quantity of EPPZ (episode Atlantis 3x20 - First attack ).
The vortexThe circular form of the door, little practices since it obliges to have a base for each door, is not due randomly. The circular form is that which distributes the gravitational forces as well as possible, and is thus the ideal form for a vortex. In the same way, the rafters are by no means present to only enter the address: indeed, the door of Orlin also has some. Their regular distribution around the ring indicates that they must contain an equipment of handling of the space time necessary to the opening of the vortex. The door tolane does not comprise a apparent rafters, but one can think that they are simply more discrete, perhaps more n the other hand of their more small size.
The opening of the vortex is done by tearing space time (undoubtedly thanks to the rafters), then while stabilizing and by increasing the tear to create a stable tunnel. Therefore the opening of the door produces an effect called “Kawoosh” which disintegrates all on its passage in a zone of a few meters opposite the door. By more finely programming the operation of the door of stars, it is possible to remove the phenomenon of kawoosh, as Nox in several episodes do it. The kawoosh, though dangerous, has the interesting utility to clean any obstacle in front of the door of stars. It is undoubtedly for that the old ones left the kawoosh on their doors, unless their technology of the time did not enable them to cancel this effect.
The horizon of the events
The door of stars is in realizable theory in reality. It is a scientific phenomenon already predicted by Einstein, and not entering in conflict with the Théorie of the cords. The vortex, being located in the subespace, is naturally invisible, except in its unstable form of the departure. The effect of gleaming which one sees when a door is open is thus artificial. It is the horizon of the events. It is a kind of skeletal field of force very finely. It has the following functions:
- It measures the Pression and opposes a contrary force to prevent the drafts between two doors. Indeed, it would be enough that the Atmospheric pressure is different between the entry and the exit so that the masses of air are put moving. This also explains why an open door under water does not transvase water on other side of the vortex (on the other hand the Lave, denser, can cross a door). This adjustment of pressure is done in real-time, which explains the gleaming.
- Thanks to this measurement of pressure, the horizon of the events is able to detect the solid matter denser than the environmental pressure, and to measure if an object completely entered the vortex or not. It disintegrates this matter progressively its entry and stores it in a temporary memory until the object completely entered. The object is then transferred towards the other carries.
- When an object touches the horizon of the events, this one generates a light force of aspiration if an object would not have enough dash to penetrate entirely of itself. This explains the “sticking” effect of the horizon of the events when one withdraws an object partially entered ( seen in film and several episodes )
- It generates a horizontal stabilization of the objects in the course of passage to prevent that those do not fall on the ground once partially disintegrated. This effect, cumulated with the precedent, explains for example why an object entered the vortex is placed at horizontal and do not need to be maintained not to fall ( seen in several episodes ).
- It reconstitutes at the exit the Atome S, and applies a light force towards outside to prevent that an object does not retrogress by accident. So that the atoms can be reconstituted, it is necessary that there is a sufficient space at the exit. If not, the reconstitution fails and the object (or the person!) is détruit.C' is on this principle which the iris functions. However, energy is not lost and can cause some problems ( to see episodes 6x01 and 6x02 ). In the same way, the radio waves, the gravitational forces of a black hole (episode 2x16) and holographic projections can cross the terrestrial iris (episode 6x01).
The built-in memoryThe door has an atomic memory (or buffer memory) to store the atoms of the objects in the course of passage through the horizon of the events. Once the object is entirely disintegrated, the atoms are sent towards the other carries. This one stores in its turn the atoms which it receives in its temporary memory. Once the object entirely arrived, it is reconstituted by the horizon of the event of the door of arrival. This explains for example which an arm that one returns in the door immediately does not arise on other side: the objects cross only when they entirely entered. This also makes it possible to leave an object partially entered the door.
If, by accident, the door of arrival is closed before the object was reconstituted, the built-in memory stores the information during a certain time or to a new opening of the door (in which case the memory is unobtrusive). It is possible to reactivate only the horizon of the events without opening vortex to still reconstitute the objects in memory. It is what occurs in the episode 5x14 where Teal' C was inside the memory of the door.
The calculating unitAll the doors of stars have a calculating unit, left autonomous computer controlling at least the various systems composing the door. It can prevent an action which would cause damage on the systems of the door. For example, the cancellation of the compostion of an address requiring more energy than supplied, or to manage the regulation of power of entry of the door and to avoid a fatal overload with the device, and even the interpretation of the codes error sent by the door of arrival before the establishment of the vortex, to avoid the possible breakdowns caused by activation (Door buried, inaccessible, decontaminated, moving,…). Unitée of calculation can also calculate quasi instantaneously the position of a door not indexed in the base of data. The fact that the SGC does not have a DHD " authentique" because of serious problem, as the many breakdowns of the door.
The communication between doorsTo be stabilized, the vortex must be attached to another door of stars. It is thus essential to know the position in the space of the door which one wishes to reach. As the Planet S and the star S move with the wire of time, the doors must periodically update the real coordinates of the other doors of stars. For that, the doors communicate between them for software updates ( to see episodes 7x09, 8x18 ) or coordinates (episode 9x16). DHD seems to be responsible for certain of these communications. This phenomenon is called “updated correlative”.
The absence of DHD connected to the door of the Earth justifies the fact that only the closest planets and thus having less moved in 2000 years (Abydos and Chulak for example) were reachable initially, and with a voyage rather animated (high speed and freezing temperature on arrival). A system of correction of the coordinates was then added to “artisanal” DHD of the Earth to correct these problems. However the program of correction is not always followed by the SGC, which involves several dysfunctions (Ex: At the time of the passage of the vortex in a sun of a planet protected by Asgard, which failed to involve the destruction of planet)
Not closing of the vortexThe vortex is closed normally automatically at the end of a few seconds if it does not receive any more matter uninterrupted. If ever any element as a radio wave passes through the door and it maintains, it will nevertheless be closed again automatically at the end of 38 minutes 34 second maximum, according to the law of the vortices. If time passes more slowly on a side of the door, it is this duration which prevails. At the time of the opening of a vortex towards a door located close to a black hole, it is not then possible any more to close the vortex (episode 2x16).
Premature closing of the vortexIn an episode, the crash landing of a spaceship on a DHD closes the vortex before one of the travellers could not reinstate other side, this because the door of arrival - that of the SGC - did not have panel Ancien a control; indeed, in this kind of situation, the second DHD is supposed to deal with the control of the door to reassemble all the travellers in the course of transfer. It is also possible to close a door of the stars which one does not manage to normally disconnect by means of a powerful explosion directed towards the vortex; this one will be connected automatically to the door nearest ( to see Déplacement of the point of arrival ) and could be stopped normally.
Displacement of the point of arrivalAn unspecified overload of the door can, instead of closing the vortex, to make it jump towards another door of arrival if this one is close. It is this fact which allowed the discovery of the second land door.
Disturbances between close doorsIf two doors are too close, of the disturbances occur at the time of an attempt at establishment of vortex. It follows of strong vibrations of the doors, likely to be detected by a seismograph. Thus the second land door was localized. Before its discovery, the door of the SGC was equipped with shock absorbers to compensate for this nuisance.
Computer virusControlled by a program, the door of stars can be infected by a virus deteriorating its operation ( to see strategic Impact ).
Strategic impactThe creation of the doors of stars had an incredible impact on the History of the galaxies where they were disseminated. While making it possible all to travel through space, the doors of stars have, like any means of communication, license to accelerate the development of the galaxies. Alas, like any means of communication, the doors of stars also brought new threats.
The doors of stars allow a technological rebalancing. Indeed, even the primitive people can travel. That allowed in particular the Terriens, technologically inferiors, to be allies in their fight against the Goa' uld, and to carry out offensive missions on the positions Goa' uld.
This analysis is not true any more for the galaxy of PEGASE, in which the city of Atlantis is. In the galaxy of PEGASE, many doors are in orbit instead of being on the surface of planets. It is thus necessary to control the technology of the space flights to use the doors.
A door can be protected by an iris ( to see the horizon of the events ) to prevent the majority of the attacks. The door of the Earth was the first of the Milky Way to have one of them, out of titanium. The idea was then taken up by some Goa' uld like Anubis in the form of field of force. However the idea was not new, the door of Atlantis, in the galaxy of PEGASE, also having a field of force set up by the Anciens 10.000 years ago to be protected from the Wraiths.
An attempt at blocking of all the doors, by a computer virus for example (episode 7x09), showed that a massive desactivation of the network of doors of stars offered a strategic advantage to that which had the fastest spaceships and most.
A simultaneous opening of all the doors of the galaxy allowed the weapon Anciens on Dakara to diffuse a fatal energy wave with the réplicateurs all in their removing any time of adaptation ( to see episodes 8x17 and 8x18 ), but could just as easily have removed any form of life with another wave.
Doors in the science fictionThe principle of a door making it possible to pass quickly from a place to another is not new in the science fiction (space doors in Buck Rogers , temporal doors in Star Trek , Oblivion …), but it is in Stargate that the concept was developed the most.
Since, the idea was included in very many works of science fiction and even of science-fantasy. In very many video games ( Dofus , World off Warcraft ,…), one finds equivalents of the door of the stars, which are very often certified copies of those of Stargate (upright on a monticule, decorated with symbols around…). Only the name changes: “gate”, for example.
The doors of this kind often make it possible to accelerate the history (play), while making it possible to the player to very quickly move, without having to use means of transport (spaceship for example) which would be difficult to justify within the framework of the history. The doors were built “it is very a long time” by “very powerful aliens” or “very powerful magi” and do not require maintenance or infrastructures (astroports, repairers). They are available ad infinitum (contrary to a spaceship for example).
The concept of “téléporteuse door” is thus a concept very easy to insert in a history and which simplifies transport considerably. One can thus expect to continue to see it used in the series, films and video games.
The doors of stars of the series are based on the distortion of the space time to allow voyages in all the universes, the physicists study in 2007 another means based on the Effet Casimir.
- Article of zetetic on the frame of reference of the door of the stars
|Random links:||Agnatha | Borgo Maggiore | Tegument (botanical) | Anna Svärd | 10th regiment of colonial infantry | Caius Lutatius Catulus | Benito_Juárez|