The presence of shallow water and powerful currents made necessary the construction of a headlight to the 19th century to protect the progression from the ships towards the port of Cherbourg. Destroyed in 1944, the old headlight was replaced by a 36 height meters tower in 1947.
The term “Cape” often astonished, since the Cape Lévi would deserve with more the name of “point”. Indeed, the Cape Lévi is a relatively modest ground projection. Consequently, why the use of the word “course”? The Norman linguist Rene Lepelley advances a tempting explanation.
According to him, the first mention of the place would be in a text of the 12th century indicates that Henri II, king d' Angleterre and duke of Normandy, unloads in its duchy with Kapelwick , which gave by deformation course Lévi. The term “Kapel” comes without any doubt from Latin “capel”, which means “vault”. The word “wick” is a deformation of old the Scandinave “vicq” which means “handle”. The Norman ones were indeed of excellent navigators and, to locate itself, they gave names to easily identifiable points of the coast. “Cape Lévi” would thus mean “handle of the vault”, which is relatively paradoxical. The term “vicq” indicates as a Scandinavian a healthy damping allowing a fast progression towards the interior of the grounds. A vicq is thus a place of unloading privileged for raid, especially if a vault is in the vicinity.
One can thus wonder about the localization of this handle of the Vault. For Rene Lepelley, there is not a doubt that this handle is current the small port of Fermanville. Archeologists found there traces of old settlement thus a Roman way succeeding there. For Fermanvillais, this explanation is not satisfactory. Indeed, if one leaves the definition of Lepelley, this handle should be accessible and support the projection of a troop. However the handle which shelters the port of Fermanville is directed in the west, opened with the swell and the dominant winds. Moreover, the bottom of the handle is covered with rocks and its accesses are not very sure. Thus an accommodating place little at first sight. Lastly, the progression towards the interior of the grounds is made difficult by the many waves land which are next to the port.
Another thesis is thus to locate this handle of the Vault to the handle of Mondrée, in the east of the Cape Lévi. It is about a long sand beach protected from the winds from west by the Cape Lévi. There is little undertow. Moreover, one raid towards the interior of the grounds is facilitated while following the small valley of the brook which is thrown to Mondrée. Another portion of the Roman way coming from Alauna (Valognes) also leads to Mondrée. Lastly, the western end of the beach, with the direct contact of course Lévi, is called the “Câtel”, without no proof of the existence of a small castle being able to be produced. “Câtel” could be the deformation of “capel”.
EventJuly 7th, 1932, the submarine Prométhée ran during tests at sea, off the Cape Lévi, causing the death of 62 sailors, workmen and engineers of the arsenal of Cherbourg and the Creusot.
- Headlight of the Cape Lévi
- Beach of Mondrée
|Random links:||Cat' S Eye | Dave Thomas (hombre de negocios americano) | First World War | Lista de islas de Grecia | Baltimore | Solid mass of the Holy-Balsam | Groovy Ardvaark | Ian_Edouard_Fraser|