Canton of Were worth
The Valais (in German ) is a Swiss canton located at the south-west of the Suisse. It is a sovereign canton within the Swiss Confederation since 1815, it is of tradition Catholique and has like Chef-lieu the town of Sion, plus big city of the canton with 28.013 inhabitants followed by Sierre and Monthey with a little more than 15000 inhabitants, according to the " Were worth in chiffres" 2006. Located in the middle of the Alps, the canton is before a whole tourist place, rich in culture since it shares two official languages on the same territory: the French and the German .
See also: Histoire of Were worth
The Low-Were worth was occupied by the Celtic tribe of the Nantuates, whose capital was Tarnaiae Nantuatium with l´emplacement of l´actuel Massongex (District of Saint-Maurice). The name Valais comes from the translation in Latin of the name of this tribe, which means “inhabitants of the valley” (Vallenses). This name will designate later all the inhabitants of the Vallée of the Rhone, Pennina vallis or Poenina vallis, then pagus Valensis in 515, Territorio Vallensi in 563, comitatus Vallissorum in 839, Vallensis in 999, comitatus Valensis in 1025, etc
SituationThe canton of Were worth is located at the south-west of the Suisse. It corresponds roughly to high the Vallée of the Rhone, in the the Alps, which extends from the Glacier of the Rhone until the Lac Léman. The the Rhone takes its source with the foot of the collar of Furka (2 431 meters), in a depression in the shape of fork, between Blauberg and Furkahorn, at the border of the cantons of Uri and of Were worth. The Rhone runs initially roughly is in west until Martigny. On this level, its course is diverted in a brutal way towards north. It is thrown in the Lac Léman after having passed a narrow procession with Saint-Maurice. Were worth is located at horse between the the Valaisan Alps, the the Alps pennines, the the Alps lépontines, the the Alps uranaises and the the Bernese Alps. Located at the south-west of the Swiss , Were worth it is a canton-border. It is limited to north by the Lac Léman, the Canton of Vaud and the Canton of Bern, in the east by the cantons of Uri and of the Tessin. In the south, it divides its borders with the Italy (the Vallée of Aoste and the Piedmont) and in the west with the France (Haute-Savoie).
Districts, communes and cities
- the canton is divided into 13 districts, heirs to the ten-line stanzas of the Old Mode. There is in fact twelve district S (the District of Aspires to, District of Conches, District of Conthey, District of Entremont, District of Hérens, District of Loèche, District of Martigny, District of Monthey, District of Saint-Maurice, District of Sierre, District of Sion and District of Viège) like two half-districts, the Half-district of Eastern Rarogne and the Half-district of Western Rarogne. The 13 stars of the escutcheon of the canton correspond symbolically to each one of these districts.
- Were worth It account 160 communes of which 66 have less than 500 inhabitants. However, by interest political and economic, certain communes plan to amalgamate what will carry certainly this number to be decreased during these next years. The last acceptance of fusion relates to the Val of Anniviers which will see soon amalgamating 6 of its communes to form the commune of Anniviers which will be the third larger commune of Suisse in Superficie.
- the six Ville S most important of Were worth are: Sion and Sierre for Were worth central, Martigny and Monthey for the Low-Were worth like Viège and Brigue for the High-Were worth.
Mountains, valleys and glaciers
- 51 Sommets of the Alps of more than 4000 meters of Altitude are located on the Valaisan grounds, of which the Cervin and the Pointe Dufour, plus high summit of Switzerland (4634 m). The Valaisan mountains belong to different solid mass of which most important are the the Valaisan Alps, the the Alps Pennines, the the Alps lépontines, the the Alps uranaises and the the Bernese Alps.
- If the axis Is - Western is marked by the Vallée of the Rhone which is prolonged in the Vallée of Conches, Were worth it has many are worth side among which the Val of It, the Val of Sort the Val of Bagnes, the Val of Entremont, the Val Tag, the Val of Nendaz, the Val of Hérens, the Val of Hérémence, the Val of Arolla the Vallon of Réchy, the Val of Anniviers, the Val of Zinal, the Valley of Moiry, the Valley of Tourtmagne, the Valley of Viège, the Valley of Zermatt, the Valley of Saas, the Valley of Nanz and the Lötschental.
- the canton has the longest Glacier more extended and of Europe: the Glacier of Aletsch which was recognized with the World heritage of UNESCO. It measures approximately 17 km length and the thickness of ice reaches by place 400 Mr. the principal glaciers of Were worth are the Glacier of Arolla, the Glacier of Otemma, the Glacier of Fiesch, the Glacier of Moiry, the Glacier of Zmutt, the Glacier of Allalin, the Glacier of Giétro, the Glacier of Gorner and the Glacier of the Rhone.
- the territory of the canton comprises 680 glaciers what represents 52 billion m ³ of ice. That represents two thirds of the Swiss ices and one the third of the ices of the alpine range thus getting to him a single place in the alpine areas. At present, with the rise in the atmospheric temperature announced by all the experts, the cast iron of the glaciers and alpine permafrost increases and doubtless will influence the figures in the future quoted.
- the richness of the Valaisan relief makes it possible nature to expose some of its richnesses such as for example to Euseigne or one can discover the pyramids of Euseigne, which are capped young ladies.
Lakes and river
- Although with the height of the Bouveret Were worth it borders the Lac Léman, larger Lake Switzerland also larger lake of Western Europe, the canton before is very characterized by its artificial lakes consisted many the Barrage S which it counts. The Lake of the Ten and the Lac of Émosson are indeed both larger storage reservoirs of Switzerland.
- Among the natural lakes, most important is the Lac of Tanay and the Lac of Derborence.
- the plain of the Rhone has as for it some small lakes like the Lac of Géronde to Sierre or the Gouille of the Islands to Sion.
- Were worth It also has largest underground Lac of Europe: the underground Lake of St-Léonard.
- By its relief and the many glaciers, were worth it is many loan River (see Swiss list) which flow to the the Rhone: among those, the One-eyed , Morge, the Dranse, the Barberine which joined the Black Eau and which flows in the Trient, the Printse, the Lienne, the Lizerne, the Lonza, the Losentse, the Massa, the Navizence, the Raspille, the Rèche, the Saltina, the Turtmänna, the Vispa and the Vièze.
- the Salanfe leads to the Plaine of the Rhone by a cascade, the Pissevache, become timid in 1952 since the dam Salanfe imprisons water. This cascade inspired various writers and artists of which in particular Goethe.
- many Bisse S of mountains traverses the valleys. So historically these north winds made it possible to channel water running out of the Montagne S towards the Culture S and the Vigne S, today they have of advantage a tourist function, since it are integrated into the majority of the Randonnée S.
EnvironmentEnclosed of all shares by high assembly lines, Were worth it is partially with the shelter of the depressions come from the Atlantic or of the Mediterranean, it has a particular climate marked by a strong sunning, in winter as in summer. Were worth is the driest area of Switzerland with twice less precipitations than on the plate. Reality is however more complex, the west is wetter than Were worth it central, the southern and northern slopes are not touched by the same disturbances and altitude exploits a big role the temperatures and precipitations. This climate of the alpine type varies throughout the valley of the Rhone what enables him to be an wine-producing area and fruit-bearing rather important. The town of Sierre is known besides for its sunning, it had been baptized by the Romans Sirrum amoenum, Sierre the Pleasant one, from where the nickname of “the City of the Sun”.
Vegetation and floraWere worth profits from an extraordinary diversity of landscapes which contrasts between the tops covered with snow with more 4000m and the dry slopes and the funds of wet valleys. The particular climates of the valley of the Rhone, the presence of wild big spaces and the extent of the natural forests naturally translate an exceptional richness of vegetation. In Were worth, it is useful to know to recognize the various stages of vegetation, the collinéen, the mountain dweller, the subalpine one, the alpine one and the nival one.
- the stage collinéen, it is the stage of the forests of leafy tree, actually, the natural vegetation makes almost everywhere place with the cultures (vines). The plain of the Rhone to a natural vegetation known as alluvial which consists of willows and alders as well as poplars.
- the mountain stage, is the zone or develops the beech and the fir tree for Low-Were worth and the woodland pine in the driest part of were worth central, one finds also the ash which abounds along the ways, of the hedges and the north winds. Certain cultures, cereals, potatoes are still possible thus that grass of mowing.
- the subalpine stage, is the part which rises until worms the last trees and stops in the dwarf rhododendrons or genévriers. It is in this zone that one finds the forests dark of coniferous tree. In Low-Were worth it is the spruce which dominates, but elsewhere in the canton the larch accompanies it, as well as the arolle on the very sunny heights of the Pennine Chain. It is in this space that one finds also the mayens (temporary residence) with their pastures.
- the alpine stage, is above the forests it is there that this develop the close-cropped lawns which are the reflection of the multiple variations of ground and microclimate. These spaces are impress by their flowering, their perfume and their diversity. It is in these mountain pastures that remain the cattle in summer. The specialized vegetation is not influenced by the grazing ground which develops on the falls, the peaks and the slopes dry, In the rocks one finds a multitude of plants which push in tufts and which is adapted to the various rustic mediums.
- the nival stage, extends until the most raised tops, one finds there more than foams, lichens and algae. Sometimes, under rare and favorable conditions, as in rock and protected niches one finds some plants with flowers.
The Valaisan Flore is diversified so much that one cannot develop it in detail on this page. We will restrict ourselves to quote some natural reserves with their fields of interests.
- the Bois of Finges shelters vast a Pinède of importance Nation ale, or the the Rhone runs free and wild in the middle of the alluvial zones , of the islands, of the arms of river of Lac S and pond S. This Biotope constitutes a ideal Paradis for all kinds of Plante S and animal.
- the Vallon of Réchy is a Vallon which is located between the Val of Anniviers and the Val of Hérens. It is a single site in the center of Were worth. It is one of the Natural reserve Were worth. One can break up it into four parts:
- the natural reserve of Derborence is located at the border with the Canton of Vaud and of Were worth. In this place one finds one of the last virgin forests of mountain of Switzerland, as well as a lake which was formed following a crumbling of the mountain. One finds there a Flore and a extremely diversified fauna which could develop with the shelter of the Déprédation S of the man.
- Poutafontana is a cantonal Natural reserve, it is one of the last zones of Marécage of the plain of the Rhone. It is a mégaphorbiaies medium eutrophic, of stagnant water and seepage. One finds there a great quantity of Plante S rare which pushes in moist environment.
- Follatères and Etangs of Rosel are located at the elbow of the Rhone marks the limit between the wet Climat (Atlantique) of the Alps bordering the Lac Léman and the driest climate (continental) of Were worth central. On the Follatère S one amongst other things finds plants with bulb, Orchidée S, Liliacée S and Pluriannuel like the Joubarbe of the roofs and the leaning Chardon. On the naked ground beaches between the hardy perennials, hepatic Foams make dichotomic drawings.
- the pond of Rosel is located in the Plaine, it is one of the last vestiges of a wetland formerly very vast.
- the marshes of Saint-Pierre-with-Clages is a site of national importance where one meets many typical rare plants of the wetlands.
- the Drains of Vionnaz, are the low-marshes, lowest in nutrients of all the plain of the the Rhone. With a surface of 14 ha, this site represents largest Marais of the Plaine of the Rhone in Low-Were worth. It includes/understands wet forests, a Roselière extended and especially a Tourbière. One finds there species rare and invaluable typical acid and poor peat bogs, in particular the carnivorous Rossolis (plant).
The canton during the last centuries a ground of was discovered for many scientists who paid homage to him by allotting to several Taxons the epithet Vallesiacus
FaunaWere worth is privileged for its fauna wild abundant and easy to observe. Of share its Surface, its geographical location and its Climate, were worth it offer with the fauna of the Biotope S of qualities. The richness of Valaisan fauna gives the measurement of the diversity of the mediums which shelter 49 terrestrial species of Mammifère S and 24 of bats, nearly 200 species of Oiseau X, 34 of Reptile S, Batracien S and Poisson S, 57 of Libellule S, finally, nearly 1400 species of butterfly S and more than 70 species of Sauterelle S and Criquet S. These figures increase if one is interested in the night butterflies, with the Hyménoptère S or the Coléoptère S (approximately 4000 species for Were worth).
The cow of Hérens is a typical Vache characterial Were worth. The animals of this race are equipped with a sharp Tempérament and Belliqueux which is concretized by the demonstration of a Rituel of predominance exacerbated. The Combat S to which the Vache S at the time of the setting are delivered naturally to grass, of the Montée to the mountain pasture or during the meeting of two Troupeau X testify some. This aptitude is of course at the base of the organization of the Combat S of cows which take place each Printemps. These demonstrations gather more than one hundred of animals divided into various Catégorie S according to the age and the Poids. After many tournaments, one of fighting is declared “Reine” by the Jury. Such Manifestation S is also organized in the Val of Aoste with the animals of the race Castana and, for a few years, a combat has annually taken place in the valley of Chamonix. The aptitude for the combat forms integral part of the Genetic inheritance of the Race and, although no study of heritability was undertaken, there is not any doubt that its transmission is of order Héréditaire.
Finding its origin in the history of the Old people's home of the Large-Saint-Bernard, the Saint-Bernard is a race of dog very appreciated for its character and its hospitality. This race was the high-speed motorboat various films among which Beethoven . A museum is devoted to the history of this race with Martigny.
Transport and communication
- Except with the outlet of the the Rhone, the canton is isolated from its neighbors by high passable assembly lines by collars of high-altitude (Simplon pass, Col of the Large-Saint-Bernard, Col of Grimsel, Col of Furka, Col of Nufenen) often closed in Hiver.
- the communications were facilitated by the digging of long Tunnel S railway (Tunnel of Lötschberg, Tunnel of the Simplon, Tunnel of Furka) and truck driver (Tunnel of the Large-Saint-Bernard). They will be facilitated even towards North, by the startup in December 2007 of the basic Tunnel of Lötschberg whose southern gate is located in the plain at Rarogne.
- the principal Railway network crosses the Plaine of the the Rhone and also forks with Brique in direction of Bern (by the Tunnel of Lötschberg) in direction of the Italy (by the Tunnel of the Simplon). The network is exploited mainly by the CF and the BLS but certain foreign trains also circulate there (Pendolino and TGV of snows of Lyria). The district distributers are ensured by private companies of which in particular the Transports of Martigny and Régions, the Public Transports of Chablais and the Matterhorn-Gotthard-Bahn.
- many Téléphérique S and Funiculaire S connects some Localité S of mountain to full with the Rhone (cable car CBV, Funiculaire SMC, etc), which makes it possible to avoid many the lace S of the mountain roads such as for example the Lacets of Niouc in the Val of Anniviers.
- the highway, connecting the France to the Italy, traverses the valley until Sierre, the last section until Brigue is in construction.
- the Swiss Armée having seen formerly in were worth a strategic Lieu for the air Défense, the canton saw developing different Aérodrome S of which most important is the aerodrome of Sion. The company Air Glaciers has its general headquarter there.
- With the Bouveret and Saint-Gingolph, the general Compagnie of navigation makes it possible to borrow various routes on the Lac Léman.
- the telecommunication network VSnet crosses Were worth it by connecting its users to more than 1 Gb/s (used only by institutions like the schools and the research centres).
- the newspaper more read is the Nouvelliste. He covers a public of more than 100 ' 000 people. This newspaper published in French covers the whole of the Low-Were worth. The High-Were worth has as for him its own daily newspaper published in German: the Walliser Club-footed. The official informations of the canton are published in the Official Bulletin. Regional newspapers also exist like the Journal of Sierre or the Gazette with Martigny. Were worth account also still two newspapers of political parties: confederated (PRD) and Valaisan People (PS). The local television channel is Canal 9 and the radios are the Rhone FM and Radio Chablais for the French-speaking part. The German-speaking part is served by Radio Rottu. One can announce " Téléparlement" who consists with retransmettre of direct, all the sessions of the Great Council to the 250 ' 000 hearths " cablés" , of Saint-Gingolph with Gletsch.
The official languages of Were worth are the French (in the Low-Were worth) and the German (in the High-Were worth). French is the native tongue of 62,8% against 28,4% the German-speaking ones. The Italian form the third speech community with a little more than 2% speakers, primarily with Martigny, Sierre and Sion, one counts also various other languages (6,8%). The linguistic Frontière is defined by the Raspille, river upstream of the Ville of Sierre.
The Valaisan patois is always spoken in some areas about the Low-Were worth, but it does not have an official statute and is in strong regression. A French and interregional festival of the patois is organized with Martigny every two years in the presence of groups coming from all the areas of the Arpitanie. Initiatives were launched to try to save these Dialecte S. to note that the Patois still remarkably alive in some Village S is insulated, particularly in the area of Evolène. The Valaisan Patois S result from the Francoprovençal.
Linguistic distribution by district
At the time of the census carried out in 2000, the linguistic distribution was the following one:
Thus, at the end of 2005, Were worth it German-speaking counted 27,1% of the population of the canton, against 72,8% for Were worth French-speaking.
One notes in the canton a French-speaking push, these last decades: the population of the High-Were worth, corresponding to Were worth German-speaking, does not increase over period 2000-2005 that of 2.329 inhabitants is 3,04%. Were worth French-speaking (Low-Were worth) does not gain for its part less than 16.849 residents is 8,61%.
In addition the comparison of the censuses of 1990 and 2000 fact of appearing clear thorough of the French language, about 5 to 6% of the global population, in the districts of Sion and Sierre, and this with the detriment of the German minority which lives there (and which constituted a majority with Sierre to the surroundings of 1920)
Evolution of the population
Evolution of the population of the canton of Were worth of 1999 to 2005
EducationIn Were worth, the education system includes/understands two years of childish school followed by 6 years of elementary school. The cycle of orientation lasts three years, except if the pupil with obtained the notes necessary to enter to the college at the end of its second year of the cycle. End of the cycle of orientation mark end of the Compulsory schooling. The pupil can then choose between three die of study: the professional die (training), the die general culture or the college. Were worth has 4 colleges which make it possible to obtain a cantonal certificate of maturity in 5 years of studies (contrary in the majority of the Swiss Cantons where the Swiss Maturité can be obtained into 3 or 4 years of studies): the College of the Crucibles and the Collège of Planted with Sion, the college of the Abbey to Saint-Maurice and the college Spiritus Sanctus with Brigue. There is no Université Were worth some but the French Center of remote teaching (CRED) located at Sierre makes it possible to follow university courses by correspondence.
One can also quote the high schools specialized of Western Switzerland (HES-SO) of Sion and of Sierre, the schools of higher formation such as the Studienzentrum Brig (FS-CH) (dependant on the Université of Bern), remote HES Brigue (FFH, the Academic institute of research on the history of the alpine arc (FGA) with Brigue), the Academic institute Kurt Bösch and the Swiss École of tourism to Sierre. The alpine Center of phytogeography (CAPE) to Champex and the Cantonal School of Art of Were worth (ECAV) with Sierre.
- tourism plays a big role in the local economy: were worth has several winter sports resorts of great fame, in particular Verbier, Notch-Montana, Zermatt, Saas-Fairy, Saas-Grund, Fiesch-Eggishorn, Anzère, Loèche-the-Baths, Vercorin, Chandolin, Saint-Luc, Grimentz, Zinal, Nax, Evolène, Ovronnaz, Nendaz, Thyon them Collons, Saint Martin's day and the Portes of the Sun.
- the canton is also famous for its thermal spas which one finds with Saillon, with Loèche-the-Baths with Ovronnaz and Brigerbad.
- Under the impact of tourism in constant evolution, Were worth it saw developing different Amusement park as the Happyland New the Labyrinthe Ventures, the Swiss Vapeur Park and Aquaparc.
- industry is very diversified, it goes from the Profil S in Aluminum to the manufacture of mechanical movements for the clock making Industrie, of the moulds of utmost precision to the medicinal products and beauty, of the electronics components to the plastics, of the Microtechnique to the Biotechnologie S, while passing by the synthetic stones (Hrand Djevahirdhjian in Monthey). The Multinational S Alcan, Lonza and Novartis occupy half of the industrial Main-d'oeuvre of the canton, they are localized with Viège for Lonza, with Steg, Sierre and Chippis for Alcan and Novelis and with Monthey for Novartis, Syngenta and CIMO. For its part Evionnaz shelters BASF Orgamol.
- the Small and medium-size companies are well represented in the majority of the areas of the canton they ensure a high level production in the most various fields. The 90% of the Valaisan Entreprise S occupy less than 100 people. Among other banks, the cantonal Banque of Were worth ensures the economic development of the area.
- Were worth It is also a very large Exportateur of electricity: many a Stopping S (more than 13), in particular that of the Large-Dixence , on the commune of Hérémence, provide a great quantity of hydro-electric energy. Were worth also has the Barrage of Cleuson, the Barrage of Mattmark, the Barrage of Moiry and the Barrage of Tseuzier.
- the Low-Were worth also has a Raffinerie connected by a Oléoduc to the port of Genoa in Italy.
- a Gas pipeline, called Gas pipeline of the Rhone and pertaining to the company Swissgaz, connects Obergesteln to Bex.
- the Agriculture, which was a long time the main activity of the canton, lost of its importance, it was a long time the base of the economy. But since the end of the XIXe century, the Agriculture and the breeding gradually declined, yielding the place to the Industrie. The field crops (Cereal S, Corn, Colza, Beet and Tobacco) concentrate primarily in the Low-Were worth and in certain mountainous areas (for the Seigle in particular). Recently, a new culture, the Soya, made its appearance in some exploitations and thus makes it possible to diversify the production. One cultivates also aromatic plants and medicinal.
- the market gardenings (Apricot S, Apple S and Pear S) remain famous. One draws a Eau-de-vie from apricots (the Abricotine) and Poire Williams (Williamine).
- the culture of the Vigne is remained important. Were worth is the largest wine canton of Suisse and its Vin S is of good quality. The Valaisan vineyard, producing as well the white wines as red, is very diversified and more than 40 different Cépage S is high there. Some, of excellent value, are very old and do not exist any more but in this area.
- the breeding, is a significant source of revenue for the agricultural economics of the canton. The Valaisan livestock is composed of Bovin S, of which famous the race of Hérens, typical of the area. The majority of the heads are high for the dairy production or the Viande. One also raises there Chèvre S and Mouton S whose role in the conservation of the landscape is well shown.
- the forestry development is present Were worth some, but occupies however a place restricted in the economy of the canton of share its morphology and its Climat.
- a characteristic of the village of Mund located at 1200m of altitude above Naters, the plantation of a flower, the Crocus sativus L (116 producers). From this one one draws Safran from them. Harvest extends from mid-October to mid-November on 14 ' 000m2. Safran de Mund was recorded as AOC by the Federal Office of Agriculture on July 2nd, 2004.
See also: Politique of the canton of Were worth
The executive power is exerted by the Council of State composed of five elected members every four years by a poll with two turns. An annual rotating presidency, as for the Swiss Federal council takes place.
The communal elections take place every 4 years, the next ones will take place in December 2008. The cantonal elections take place every 4 years, the next ones will take place in March 2009.
Were worth provided three federal advisers to the Suisse (Josef Escher, Roger Bonvin, Pascal Couchepin). One can include also there Micheline Calmy-Rey which originating and was born with Chermignon, even if it carried out his political career in the Canton of Geneva.
Were worth is represented at the federal Parliament by Misters Jean-Christmas Rey (PS), Stephan Rossini (PS), Jean-Rene Germanier (PRD), Oskar Freysinger (UDC), Mrs. Viola Amherd (PDC) (to replace Jean-Michel Cina elected with the Council of State), Christophe Darbellay (PDC) and Maurice Chevrier (PDC) with the National council and Misters Simon Epiney (PDC) and Rolf Escher (PDC) with the Conseil of the States.
CultureThe canton of Was worth with cultural rich person and varied Tradition S.
- the Media library Were worth in Martigny: As an Information center on Were worth, the Media library Were worth continues an active policy of publication in order to make known its funds and to offer to the public powerful research tools documentary.
- the Valaisan cantonal Association of mycology (ACVM).
- the Center Pro Natura d' Aletsch located with the Cassel villa, going back to 1902.
- Murithienne - Valaisan Company of the natural science.
- the Academic Company of Were worth, contributes to higher education and with the scientific research were worth some.
- SAVAR, the company of astronomy of were worth French.
- Foundation Pierre Gianadda - permanent Exposures: park of Sculptures, Gallo-Roman museum and museum of the car.
- the Foundation Marconi, the purpose of which is to make known the historical experiments of the wireless telegraphy carried out in 1895 with Salvan and to highlight the technical evolution of the means of communication.
- cultural Festivals: the Sismics festival which took the changing of from now on late the International festival of the data base of Sierre.
- Carnival S traditional, like the Carnival of Monthey and that with the Lötschental, but also that of Évolène.
- Were worth It also has a fame for certain culinary receipts, in particular the Valaisan Assiette, the Raclette, the Brisolée, the Fondue with the tomato, the Asperge S with Valaisan or the veal chop double of the country, Morille S and crusty of Pancetta, foam of serac of mountain pasture with a bottle of Cornalin (resulting from type of vine of the same name). The splitting, wine of aperitif par excellence, is resulting from a local type of vine, the chasselas.
- the Combats of queens is also an important cultural event.
- For a few years Had been worth it organizes important Festival of music in particular the Caprices festival with Notch-Montana and the Open Air Gampel with Gampel. Other festivals one also place with Sierre, Martigny, Saas-Fairy, Verbier and Veyras.
MonumentsMany monuments decorate the Valaisan landscape. Among those, most known are certainly the Basilique of Valère where one finds the oldest organ of the still playable world and the territorial Abbaye of Saint-Maurice d' Agaune. Located at strategic sites, Were worth it account several châteux historical importance (Château of Swirl, Château of Saint-Maurice, Château of Stockalper, Château of Bâtiaz, Château of Majorie, Château of the Door of Scex, the Château Draper, the Château of Villa, the episcopal castle of Loèche-City etc). Two old people's homes located at the tops of collars ensured formerly the supply of the pilgrims come besides: the Old people's home of the Large-Saint-Bernard and the Old people's home of the Simplon. Visible since Were worth central, the Statue of the Christ-King points out the tradition Catholique canton. By its mountain relief and the need for connecting the various valleys enters, the canton comprises various bridges among which the Pont of Gueuroz which was a time the most bridge of Europe, and more recent, the bridge of Ganter, on the road of the Simplon.
Among the most important museums of the canton, the Fondation Gianadda with Martigny attracts many populations. The canton also counts the Musée of the Traditions and the boats of Léman, the Amphithéâtre of Martigny, the cantonal Museum of the fine arts, the cantonal museum of history, the cantonal museum of natural history, the museum of the vine and the wine.
SportIn Were worth there is an organization which joins together the sports associations under the same roof (49). It is the Foundation Helps Sporting Valaisan (FASV). Its goal is to bring to associations a reflection on common problems like psychology in the sport, the authority and the sport, the mental drive in the sport, marketing and sponsorship in the sport, the sport and the media and sport and publicity (sponsoring). To encourage cantonal associations and the clubs the FASV dictated a Charter of the fair play and reward by the payment of a significant sum the most exemplary actions among those which will be subjected and announced by the sports associations. The Valaisan Association of the Journalists of Sport AVJS designates candidates with the Valaisan sporting Merits on the basis of Commission proposal of the merits, it chooses ten individual candidates, five teams, five hopes and five leaders.
Were worth proposed with three recoveries to organize the Winter Olympics, the first time to organize the Jeux of 1976 (Sion 1976), the second for the Jeux of 2002 (Sion 2002) and the third time to organize those of 2006 (Sion 2006). Were worth however was not selected.
Several sporting personalities are native Were worth like the skater Stephan Lambiel, the Footballeur Stephan Grichting or the Escrimeuse Sophie Lamon. In Alpine skiing, Pirmin Zurbriggen was medal-holder with the championships of the world 1985,1987 and 1989 and medal-holder with the Olympic Games of 1988. He was elected Swiss Sportif of the year in 1985. In addition, the Canton with delivered with FIFA its current president: Sepp Blatter .
- Football: All the football club of were worth belong to the Valaisan Association of football (AVF-WFV). One counts surroundings 68 clubs. It should be noted that according to the statutes of association, there cannot be more than one club by common policy except for the towns of Sion (FC Sion, FC Bramois and FC Châteauneuf) and of Sierre (FC Sierre and FC Barns) like for Conthey (FC Conthey and FC Erde) and Nendaz (ES Nendaz and FC Aproz). The greatest stage is that of Tourbillon or evolves/moves FC Sion. This team accommodated very good players like Roberto Assis Moreira (the big brother of Ronaldinho) and never yet lost the final of the Coupe of Switzerland of football in 10 participations.
- Hockey: Three Valaisan teams evolve/move in National league B: HC Sierre-Anniviers, HC Martigny and HC Viège.
- Basketball: Two Valaisan teams evolve/move in national league has: BBC Monthey and Hérens Tennis shoe.
- Automobile: The International Rallye of Were worth (e.g. Rallye of the Wine) is organized the last week of October, its nerve center is in Martigny. The speciality of the Rally is in the difficulties of leading and of regulating mechanics on mountain roads, since the tests proceed between 400 and 1800m altitude. One can still quote the hill climbs of Ayent-Anzère and Massongex-Verrossaz.
- Cycling: Were worth reception generally the Tour of Romandie and also accommodated on different occasions the Tour de France. Alexandre Moos, Johann Tschopp and Steve Morabito is among the Valaisan cyclists most known.
- sporting Events: The Patrouille of the Glaciers is organized by the Swiss Armée every two years. It is held between Zermatt, Arolla and Verbier. There is also the Grand Raid Cristalp which is a race of VTT which is held between Verbier and Grimentz and the popular race with feet Sierre-Zinal, also called Course of the Five 4000 which takes place each year 2nd Sunday of August.
|Random links:||Saint-Alexis (parish) | Netball | Tihama | List French clubs of roller in line hockey | D (Group) | Musique_impressionniste|