See also: Cannes (homonymy)
Cannes (in Occitan Of Provence: , Caned according to the traditional standard or Cano according to the Norme mistralienne, in occitan medieval Cànoas ) is a common French located in the department of the the Alpes-Maritimes and the area Provence-Alp-Coast of Azure to 36 km of Nice, 55 km of Monaco and with 60 km of the Italian border. Its surface is of 1970 hectares and it extends on 8,8 km from length and 4,5 km broad between the sea level and 250 meters from altitude. The commune of Cannes, is the trosième city of the department by its population. During the Festival of the film, the Cannes-native population exceeds them: 160000 inhabitants. So Cannes could develop in margin of its Festival of film.
City of the Riviera and the maritime Alps
DistrictsThe commune is divided into districts. Most important is even a Faubourg: Bocca. The Îles of Lérins form an insular district. Small cross, California, Palm Beach and SuperCannes supplement the list with names evocative of sun and prestige.
Cannes-the-BoccaCannes-the-Bocca is the principal district of Cannes, located at the west of the city, with access at the seaside. A city with whole share with its own life, a city hall annex, a church, a post office with its differentiated zip code (06150), a very beautiful Gone of Provence, splendid a Bowling pitch, a Marshalling yard, whose site is entered in the project of future nodal station of LGV the Mediterranean, and many retail parks and industrial, from which one contains part of the Space center of Cannes Mandelieu.
Islands of LérinsThe islands of Lérins are one of the rare insular districts of France. They are administratively attached to Cannes.
See also: Islands of Lérins
See also: History of Cannes
In the beginning, modest Mediterranean village of fishermen and monks, his history is indissociable those of the islands Holy-Marguerite and Saint-Honorat which is with some blows of oars of the shores. Also, it is impossible to speak about the history of Cannes without evoking that of the islands of Lérins. Appeared only with the Moyen-âge the modest village of Cannes develops very modestly during the Ancien Mode while being pilot Franco-English and Franco-Spanish fights which are exerted primarily on the islands of Lérins. It is only with XIXe that the city takes truly its rise, grace in particular to Lord Henry Brougham and Vaux, large Chancelier of England which while settling, attracts the English aristocracy and European which builds splendid secondary residences for the winter. Like the majority of the station of the littoral of the Riviera and Riviera, the city knows, thanks to this population of prestige, a development without preceding. Its statute of international repute is acquired only in the middle of the 20th century by the Festival of the Film. Cannes quickly became a city on-médiatisée. She exerts still today the same power of attraction on customers French and foreign fascinated by its town of star will have. Of this intense tourist activity, the ultra sectors developed of hotel trade, restoration and luxury trades offer, between sea and sun, a prestigious window of the French luxury.
HeraldicThe Blasonnement of Cannes east: “ of azure to the palm of money posed out of bar, accompanied by two flowers of gold lily”.
Administrative cuttingCannes is the chief town of two cantons and a third fraction of common belongs to another canton:
DemographyThe commune takes again a demography raises some it is envisaged: 80000 inhabitants about 2010 knowing in addition that the commune borders them: 200000 inhabitants the summer.
IndustryNear to the aerodrome, is installed the Space center of Cannes Mandelieu organized around the cannes plant of Thalès Alenia Space (in the past SNIAS- aerospatiale then Alcatel Space in 1998 then Alcatel Alenia Space in 2005) which became gradually the first manufacturer of satellite in Europe. It is in particular in Cannes that are produced all the satellites Météosat and the great series of communications satellites Spacebus. It is the first industry of the Alpes-Maritimes: more than 2500 people is 2000 employees and more than 500 people receiving benefits.
The main resource of Cannes is tourism. The de luxe hotels and stores of luxury to the prestigious addresses are numerous there. Cannes has an aerodrome of international class, the Aéroport of Cannes - Mandelieu and an important commercial and pleasure managed by the Chamber of commerce and industry port of Nice Riviera.
Among the other employers, one finds in particular the town of Cannes and the Hospital of Cannes. According to a study of Knight Frank and ISIC Private Bank, Cannes is the most expensive city of France for the price of the real estate of luxury, with: 15000 euros per square meter. It is placed at the sixth world rank, in front of Saint-Tropez and Paris.
Places and monumentsThe seaside, with its famous Walk of the Small cross, is one of its important tourist assets, as well as the islands of Lérins, off the coast, which belong to the commune.
Cannes is also universally known for its Festival of being held film each year semi May. The palate of the festivals is a mythical place of this marvellous city. In the same way it is necessary to underline the presence of sumptuous Palaces on the Small cross such as Hôtel Carlton Intercontinental, the Hôtel Martinez, the Hôtel Majestic or the Palais Stephanie (old Noga Hilton)…
One can also quote like remarkable buildings:
- the castle and the tower of Castrates It, in Suquet, which shelter now the Museum of Castrates and which dominate the city. At side are the Notre-Dame church of the Hope and the vault Holy-Anne.
- the town hall.
See also: Cannes festival
Each Cannes year accommodates one of the most famous festivals of Cinéma in the world, the Cannes festival.
Apart from this festival, the palate which accommodates it is also used for MIDEM (International market Of the Editions of Music), like with a crowd of other demonstrations throughout the year (international festival of the plays, the etc, pleasure sailing) what makes of it the second town of congress in France after Paris.
There also exists what is called the “Festival of Film of Winter”, the Cinematographic Meetings of Cannes (R.C.C. old R.I.F.J. International meetings of Film for Youth) which proceed each year in December. This demonstration is organized on several sites: the M.J.C. Picaud, the M.J.C Ranguin (with its Raimu room), the room of the Unicorn or Malmaison.
The city lodges the regional Orchestra of Cannes Provence the Alps Riviera.
See also: regional Orchestra of Cannes Provence the Alps Riviera
It placed at its disposal, in 2005, well designed work tools: the Room of Arlucs.
- John Alcott, large Director of the British photography, died in Cannes.
- Jennifer Ayache, singer of Superbus, was born in Cannes.
- Claude Bolling was born in Cannes.
- Gabriel Knight, French writer, died in Cannes.
- Victor Cousin died in Cannes.
- Klaus Mann, German writer, died in Cannes.
- Dogs of Straw, group of rap revolving around Akhenaton including the rappor Rodolphe Sako Gagetta and the producer Sebastien Hall Alfonsi.
- Armand Dutertre, actor, is buried with the cemetery of Cannes.
- François Léotard, politician, was born in Cannes.
- Jean Marsh, actor, died in Cannes.
- Prosper Mérimée, writer, died in Cannes.
- Guallino Patrick, painter and sculptor, passed all his youth and its adolescence to Cannes.
- Gerard Philippe, actor, was born in Cannes.
- Alexis de Tocqueville, thinker and historian, died in Cannes.
- Charles Vanel, actor, died in Cannes.
- Terence Young, British film producer, in particular of James Bond and Dr. No , died in Cannes.
- Alfred, Maxime Laubeuf born in Poissy (Yvelines) on November 23rd, 1864, Engineer Général of the Marine engineering, creator in 1898 of the " Narval" , the first of the modern submarines, is deceased in Cannes on December 23rd, 1939, its burial is in the municipal cemetery (alley of Gloxinias).
- Gilbert Richard old producer-organizer of approximately 2000 television programs for youth O.R.T.F (1re/2e. chain), and R.A.I. Producteur of televised pullings of the National Lotto (1980 to 1992). Withdrawn in Cannes in 1994.
- Loana Petrucciani Heroin and sex symbol of the tele reality.
- Zinedine Zidane made its training of professional footballer within the ACE Cannes
- - 1992
Notes and references of the article
|Random links:||Darmstadt | Bellange (the Moselle) | Javron-the-vaults | Medieval enquiry | Ares V | 1804|