See also: Cabrières
Origin of the name
The origin of the name " Cabrières of Avignon" can have various sources.
Cabrières can thus come from old the " career s" that one found on the sector. Another version would like that Cabrières results étymologiquement in " country of the chèvres" , the origin coming from the word " chèvre" , " Capra" in Latin and " Cabro" into Of Provence.
The " of Avignon " , (official version) comes because of its membership to the Comtat Venaissin and has was used for to differentiate this Cabrières from Cabrières-in Aigues, also in the Département of Vaucluse.
The Blazon" Mouths with the gold goat, accompanied with the frank first canton of a star of sixteen rays of the même".
The goat is the Armes speaking about the village, i.e. made up weapons with elements to which the consonance is close to that of the name of the owner. The star comes from the armorial bearings of the lords of the Beams.
The village is located on the Mounts of Vaucluse, is placed on a mountainside soft inclined and vis-a-vis the mountain of the Luberon. It developed an marketing activity in its place known as " Coustellet" , in edge of commune and jointly with Robion and Maubec. These communes formed the Communauté of communes of Coustellet with Lagnes and Oppède.
The Sentier of great excursion n° 6 (GR6) passes on the commune.
The brook " Valla of Merderie" passes on the commune.
Sénancole passes at the south-eastern end of the commune.
The southern part of the commune, made up mainly of arable lands, is on the heights of the plain of Calavon (or " valley north-Luberon")
The part in north of the village, made up mainly of wood and scrubland, is located on the mounts of Vaucluse. The most point is located on the point at the northern end of the commune.
HistoryCité in 1180: " Cabrieras" , then successively " Capreris" , " caprieras" and return to " Cabrieras" (?). The name Cabrières makes its appearance in XVIe century. One adds then " to him; of Comtat" or " of Avignon" , because the village was the state-owned property of the Popes (comtat venaissain).
11th century/12th century, construction of the Castle by the family of Adhemar (Viscount of Cavaillon, Connects junior by Adhemar, first hereditary Orange Counts). The family becomes the Beams-Adhemar following an alliance with the lords of the Beams.
14th century, Henri de Chiabeau succeeds the Beams-Adhemar. His/her daughter, Laure de Chiabeau (born on June 4th, 1314), is regarded by certain historians as (one of) Laure of Pétrarque.
1490, by its marriage with Germaine de Mointjoie, Cabrières becomes seigniory of Giraud d' Ancézune, Baron de Caderousse. To put its grounds " in rapport" it will make come several families Vaudois E from Piedmont.
1695 : the Consuls of the commune make dig 6 wells scattered on the territory to mitigate water problems.
1720 : An epidemic of plague arrives at Marseilles and gains gradually the remainder of the Provence. The parishes of the Comtat Venaissin are protected then by building a wall from dry stone which one will name later the Mur of the plague.
1765, work for the routing of water towards the village using mines, of channels and pipes are completed… but one winters too hard makes split the basin and to twist the drains, the mines, not stabilized rather well crumble. All is to be remade.
1801, following the discovery in the small valley of Beaumillons of an important water natural reserve, again work are undertaken.
1872, the new owner of the castle encloses the access to the fountain thus depriving the inhabitants of an invaluable access to a vital resource.
1918 : Cabrières takes officially the name of Cabrières-in Avignon.
Graph of the evolution of the population 1794-1999
Places and monuments
Parish church Saint-Vincent of Romance origin.
Castle of the 13th century (private), rebuilt at the end of the 16th century after the episode of Vaud.
In the north of the village, on the slopes of the Mounts of Vaucluse, the " forest of the cèdres" being itself on a little more than five hectares: refreshment bar, space picnic, walk, course of health.
Column commemorating the massacre of 1545.
Oratorical of the Virgin (1968)
Old laundrettes, cistern-laundrette, fountains, Borie S and éguiers.
Museum of the lavender (tourist attraction) on Coustellet.
Practical lifeSmall shops : Bakery, general food on the level of the village, bakeries, delicatessen, pharmacy and sale of materials on Coustellet. It should be noted that Coustellet is a zone with horse on several communes and that there are thus all the basic trade and much on the spot (of which mini market bio, several delicatessens, Chinese restaurant, painting, decoration etc)
Public equipment : Common rooms, post office, elementary school and town hall with the village, nursery school (and crib in construction whose opening is planned for September 2007), college and sports complex on the level of Coustellet.
The retail park of Coustellet knew to attract many tradesmen, liberal professions etc
The tourism : many rooms of hosts, small hotel, circuits for excursions… as for more the share of the communes of north Luberon.
The agriculture : cherry trees, almond trees, olive-trees, vines (table grapes and of tank)… but also asparaguses and truffles (many oak groves).
Viticultural fields with production of wines in AOC " Coasts of Ventoux ".
Personalities related to the commune
Giraud d' Ancézune,
Maroon Eustace, chief of resistance of Vaud E to the 16th century, had made its stronghold of it.
Common of Vaucluse
- Of Vaud of Luberon
- Cabrières-in Avignon on the site of the National Geographical Institute
- Cabrières-in Avignon on the site of INSEE
- Cabrières-in Avignon on the site of Quid
- the communes closest to Cabrières-in Avignon
- Cabrières-in Avignon on Mapquest
- Cabrières-in Avignon on Viamichelin
|Random links:||Diogo Cão | Mario Party 8 | My Little Cheap Dictaphone | RCL-LOSC | Committee for the Inversion | Croix-Rouge_canadienne|