Canal SAT is a bouquet of Satellite television which was launched initially under the Satellite name Canal in analogical version in 1992 and in Numérique in 1996. Since 2007, it is held at 100% by the Groupe Canal+ and uses, for its diffusion, the satellite Astra with 19,2 degrees Is.
Launching and chains of origin
Baptized " the cable by satellite " , the November 14th 1992, year of the Winter Olympics of Albertville, CANAL+ lance its first " bouquet" satellite Analogical French in after being implied in the failure of the free bouquet/paying Franco-German satellites TDF1 and TDF2 launched between 1989 and 1992 (in which CANAL+ in 16/9 côtoyait the Seven - future Arte, Euromusique - future MCA, Antenne 2 " Supervision" future France 4, several German television channels, like in project, the European sporting chain - TV Sports and Canal Youth - future Channel J), the whole with the new standard of the time: D2 Mac. The April 27th 1996 mark the true commercial starting of Canalsatellite: the analogical one yields its place to numerical and the bouquet comprises then certain chains, always present:
Kiosk (Ciné+/Foot+ then Rugby+), service of payment to the chart or quasi Video with request (NVOD) successor of the first " Multivision" already deployed on the Cable in France.
- Channel J, chain youth of the Group Lagardere
- Jimmy (ex Canal Jimmy), chain devoted to the series
- Movies Cinemas, the chain of the cinema
- Movies Classics (ex Ciné Cinéfil), chain of the traditional cinema
- Eurosport, chain of sport in all kinds of the group of TF1 Co-held at the time with Canal+
- LCI, chain of information uninterrupted of the group TF1
- MCA, music channel published by the Group Lagardere
- TMC Monte Carlo (ex Monte Carlo TMC), general channel Monegasque controlled at the time by Multithématiques.
- Mezzo (ex Muzzik, which with amalgamated with Mezzo), chain of classical music and jazz
- Paris Première, general channel acquired by the group M6 in 2003
- Planet (ex Planète Cables), chain of documentary the
- Game One (ex C: Direct since the September 6th 1998), interactive service centered video games/high tech.
- the service " RadioSat" who gives access about fifteen radios on line since 1996
Canal+ " the bouquet"For regulatory and legal reasons, Canalsatellite does not have the right to integrate the offer of the Canal+ chains into its bouquet. The two companies must have a policy of completely independent marketing. Thus since its launching in 1984, Canal+ (and its variations) were marketed separately. Between 1990 and 2000, this " minis bouquet" Canal+a represented nearly 45% of the subscriptions of the Canal+ group. Currently, there exists always a number (not communicated) of subscribers who receive only the Canal+ offer without being subscribed in Canalsat (they profit however hundreds from free channels " accessible without abonnement" that the Astra satellite diffuses, of which those of the TNT).
CANAL+, chain premium of the group Shifted
- CANAL+, the multiple variation rediff' of the chain premium
- CANAL+ Cinema, the variation cinema of the chain premium
- CANAL+ Sport, the variation sport of the chain premium
- CANAL+ Hi-Tech, the variation 16/9e and 5.1DD of Canal+
- CANAL+ Family, the variation for the children and their parents (Cartoons, films youths…)
" options"In addition to the basic subscription, Canalsat proposed with its subscribers, a certain number of options among which one counts Disney Cinemagic France or a good part of the score of chains published by the Groupe AB (AB Sat).
Since the creation of the bouquet, other chains arrived such as:
Voyage, chain documentary (1996)
- Cartoon Network, chain of the American drawings animated (1996)
- EuroNews, European chain of information uninterrupted (1997)
- Disney Channel, chain youth of the group Disney (1997)
- TV5Monde (ex TV5), international French-speaking general channel (1997)
- France 5 (ex the Fifth) and Arte, public hertzian chains (1997/1998)
- 13th street, chain of the detective series and other fictions of horror (1997)
- Jetix (ex Fox Kids), chain youth of the Fox group, repurchased by Disney (1997)
- Sport+ (ex ABSport then PathéSport, changes name with the changes of owner) chain of sports (1997)
- FOOT+ (ex Zapfoot) interactive service of purchase of matches to the request (1998, at the time of the World one)
- France O (ex RFOsat), public channel of overseas (1998) the
- the Team TV, chain of the magazine " Équipe" (1998)
- AB1, the first general channel of the group AB (1998 - 1999)
- I-TV (ex I-Television), chain of information uninterrupted of the Group Canal+ (1999)
- France 2 and France 3, public general channels (2000 - 2001)
- Liberty TV chain of voyage diffusing of documentary but also films (2000)
- Tiji, variation of Channel J for less than 7 years (2000)
- Tele Melody, Music channel dedicated to the years 1960 ' S, 70' S and 80 ' S (2001)
- RTL 9, general channel of Luxembourg origin of group AB (2001)
- CinéCinéma Success, CinéCinéma Famiz (2004 - 2005) and CinéCinéma Author, chains cinema. (2003)
- Téva, chain of entertainment with primarily female vocation of the group M6 (2002)
- Movies Whodunnit and Movies Fx, chains cinema of the group AB (2002 - 2003)
- Playhouse Disney, Toon Disney and Disney Channel +1, new chains Disney (2002)
- France 4 (ex Féstival) and History, chains of the public service (at the time, since Histoire belongs to TF1) (2003)
- Planet shock (ex Future Planète and since February 6th, 2007: Planet No Limit), variation of Planet (2004 - 2005)
- NT1, new general channel of the group AB (2005)
- W9, chain of entertainments and musical of the Group M6 (2005)
- NRJ 12, music channel aiming at an adolescent public creates by NRJ (2005)
- FoxLife, chain of entertainments speaking about lives and aiming at a women of American group FOX (2005)
- Europe 2 TV, the tele version of radio operator of the same name (2005)
- Nickelodeon , Diffusing Pionnière of the chains youth in the United States of the cartoons and the series of the Nickelodeon group: Viacom and MTV (2005)
- Gulli, chain youth of France Televisions and Lagardere (2005)
- Adibou TV, ludo-educational interactive television service of the 2-8 years (2005)
- Direct 8, chain entirely devoted to direct (from where its name) (2006)
- On the side of on your premise, chain dedicated to the house and the garden (2006)
- JET chain dedicated to the plays and on TV (2006)
- Onzéo, chain of the ADZE and RC Lens. (2006)
- Demain.TV, chain of the economic life and social (1997)
- Cash TV, chain dedicated to the money plays (2004)
- Pink TV, chain gay whose shareholders are inter alia TF1, Canal+ and M6 (2004)
- TF1 and M6 the first two French private channels (shareholders of its ex-competitor, TPS) arrived on CANALSAT on December 19th, 2006, thus marking the end of a fight which will have lasted almost 10 years. (2006)
- Baby First TV, created for the USA in 2004, is intended the 6 month old to child to 3 years (October 2007).
- Planet Justice is a chain dedicated to documentary on the crimes and the facts various (October 2007)
- Vivolta, chain leisures 45-65 years, directed by Philippe Gildas and whose launching is planned for the end of 2007.
on November 14th 1992, Canal Satellite launches out on Télécom 2A (orbital Position: 3°Ouest) into analogical.
- on April 30th 1996, Canal Satellite launches out on ASTRA 1 (orbital Position: 19,2° Is) numerically.
- on May 10th 1997, Canal Satellite makes a demonstration of compatibility with the competitor bouquet AB Sat (only one receiver to receive the two bouquets thanks to the " Simulcrypt ").
- on September 30th 1998, Satellite Channel with definitively abandoned the analogical diffusion on Telecom 2A.
- on January 19th 2005, Canal Satellite crossed the 3 million subscribers.
- on May 23rd 2005, Canal Satellite changes name and becomes Canal SAT.
- on December 15th, 2006, the group Vivendi (majority shareholder CANAL+) announces opening of discussions with TPS (TF1 & M6) for a future fusion of their two bouquets in order to counter the multiplicity and the rise of the offers ADSL.
- on January 4th, 2007, after 1 year of procedures and legal battles, Channel SAT, Canal+ and TPS (like their chains and offers) form Canal+ France and the offers of the ranges of channels TPS & Canal SAT amalgamate little by little during this year.
- on March 21st 2007, Sat Channel and TPS really amalgamate to create the Nouveau CanalSat.
Channel SAT by ADSL (ex- Channel SAT DSL)
Since its creation, CANALSAT by ADSL (ex- CANALSATDSL) evolved/moved much and the number of functions does nothing but increase. It could be that one day, the ADSL has as many functions as the satellite, which would not be so badly owing to the fact that its installation is simpler. Principal FAI proposer CANALSAT by ADSL is Free, Orange, N9uf, DartyBox, AOL and soon Club-Internet
The absence of ten chains compared to the range of satellite channels is due to the fact that certain operators have commercial constraints (rights of edition and distribtion) to diffuse all the chains of Canalsat. By preoccupation with a unicity of the offer ADSL of Canalsat, certain chains are thus not available for all the operators ADSL.
CANALSAT with the future
2007 will see effective fusion between part of the Canal+ Group, named Canal+ France (and not its subsidiary company CANALSAT only) and TPS (Groupe TF1/Groupe M6, which will become minority shareholders of this company, respectively to a total value of 5.1% and 9,9%), which will give only one range of satellite channels in France. CANALSAT and TPS intend to create a single platform of satellite television, in order to deal with the increased competition of the companies of telecommunication (ADSL), free TNT and television on Internet. Thus, the name of the bouquet " TPS" will disappear with the profit from the mark Canalsat (only competitor range of satellite channels in France remaining AB Sat).
Moreover, the new entity will be in measurement to conquer new subscribers and to acquire certain sporting and cinematographic exclusivenesses. However, for the film enthusiasts subscribed with the two offers, the passage of 15 chains cinema to 7 only represents a disappointment. To make up this deficit, Canalsat intends to privilege the Canal+ chains and especially the Video with the Request (Pay Per View). Bitten the 7th art will have to thus subscribe with the " offer; Premium" and to buy films with the meeting.
Lastly, fusion should make it possible to reinforce the capacity of negotiation vis-a-vis having the right (Studios, producers, editors of film), while limiting that of the subscribers (disappeared alternative).
The synergies carried out by the new group must make it possible to realize many savings, in particular thanks to:
- suppression of about fifteen chains doubled bloom (For example: nearly 15 specialized channels and 7 chains cinema)
- a stronger capacity of negotiation with the independent chains like Equidia, the chain of the horse-races or editors French or foreign like AB Sat, NextRadio, Bolloré, Warner /TCM, Viacom /MTV, NRJ, etc…
- a better capacity of negotiation with the majors American of the cinema (Universal, Paramount,…) who will have perhaps to re-examine their price with the fall and to offer the same tariffs as to the other European bouquets.
- the reduction of the financing of the film productions (within the limits of the observance of the regulation).
- Economy for the hiring of Repeater S (satellites).
Notes and references of the article
|Random links:||Cumaná | Jerome Thomas (boxer) | The Trap with idiots | Reptile (album) | Muscae alpha|