The Bundeswehr (in German “federal defense force”) is the Armée with the the Federal Republic of Germany since 1955.
HistoryThe proposal for a remilitarization of the the Federal Republic of Germany vis-a-vis the Soviet threat in the Années 1950 caused a major polemic, primarily between SPD and the CDU: was it moral that after the Dictature hitlérienne, Germany could never have an army?
The first manpower were made up starting from Officier S and of Sous-officier S having been useful in the Wehrmacht. All the officers of a row at least equal to the rank of Colonel were to obtain the approval of the Personalgutachterausschuss , a commission of thirty-eight personalities of the public life chosen by the president on proposal of the Gouvernement and after confirmation by the Bundestag (House of Commons). The function of the Personalgutachterausschuss can be regarded as a success since no senior officer was continued for crimes related to the Nazisme.
MissionThe fundamental law (constitution) German invests Bundeswehr of the mission of defense of Germany and its allies. The army has additional missions:
- protection of the German citizens in the world;
- assistance in the event of catastrophe;
- participation in the humane missions;
- to make progress European stability and integration;
- to work with international peaces and safety within the framework of the Charter of the United Nations.
Role of the conscriptionContrary to the majority of the Western armies, Bundeswehr is made up of conscript which carry out one year a military service. It should be noted that the German citizens can choose not to carry the weapons (inter alia by Conscientious objection) and to carry out in replacement a one equivalent duration social service.
Although the question of the professionalisation of Bundeswehr is of topicality in Germany, the Germans are wary of a professional army of which they fear an authoritarian abuse and anti democratic.
Composition and deploymentBundeswehr is made up into 2006 of more than 250.000 soldiers of which:
- 105000 in of '' Heer '' (the Army)
- 90000 in of '' [[Luftwaffe]] '' (the air force)
- 19000 in of '' [[Bundesmarine]] '' (navy)
- 19000 in of '' [[Zentraler Sanitätsdienst]] '' (central medical department)
- 19000 in of '' [[Streitkräftebasis]] '' (logistic and organisational service)
The German army after being reserved for a role of defense of its territory started to operate abroad since the end of the cold war and deploys today in the world more than 11.000 men within the framework of maintenance missions of peace.
- Kosovo: 3.500
- Afghanistan: 2.300
- Bosnia-Herségovine: 1.800
- Djibouti: 900
- Horn of Africa: 900
- Kenya: 900
- Uganda: 350
- Democratic republic of Congo: 350
- the Mediterranean: 230
- Ouzbékistan : 200
- Macedonia: 50
- Georgia: 11
|Random links:||Paradox of the twins | Lionel Poilâne | I am a cyborg | Bevinco | Francisco Felix de Sousa | Xerox_se_tiennent_le_premier_rôle|