DenominationIn the dialect Auvergnat of the language Occitan E, Brioude is called Briude . Old name: Brivas
GeographySub-prefecture of the Haute-Loire, Brioude, with the borders of small the Limagne auvergnate, owes the origin of its name with briva , which means " pont". Located on the To combine, in surrounded plain of the mounts of the Livradois, " Brioude Douce" is an active and commercial, gravitational city for the area.
HistoryAs from the 4th century, the martyrdom of Julien saint, guard of the Auvergne, and the pilgrimage on its tomb which followed, gave to the city dimension of a religious and political regional capital.
Under the protection of a double belt of medieval, canons counts, noble, middle-class ramparts and churls built residences preserved still well: Romance houses, houses with wood sides and private mansions traditional… In the building of the Deanery, one can admire a armorié ceiling of the 12th century.
Brioude had, at the time mérovingienne, a rather important monetary workshop.
Recently, of the excavations near the Saint-Julien basilica, place Gregoire de Tours, made emerge a Baptistère Des. the baptistry (which will be covered and above which will be a carpark) has a central room with a baptismal tank. Sarcophagi and built tombs (about thirty on the whole) were excavated, certain are contemporary baptistry, others date from VIIIe century.
HeraldicThree blasonnements are brought back: Gold
“, with two leant keys of sand, accompanied as a chief by a flower by lily by same. ” ( illustrated France , 1882, of Malta-Brown)
“Party, 1st of azure, with three flowers of gold lily; 2nd of azure, with the capital letter B crowned of gold. ” ( illustrated France , 1882, of Malta-Brown) - This one is a little surprising, with the azure on the two sides of the left …
“Of mouths to the money hive accompanied by six bees by same, to the chief of sown azure of flowers of gold lily. ” ( Large Encyclopedic Larousse , 1963)
EconomyAgriculture (cereals and bovine breeding especially in the area), Agro-alimentary, Automobile Subcontracting , transformation of wood, construction, Tourism (in particular Halieutic tourism for the Fishing with the fly) and hotel trade are the economic main activities represented.
Brioude is the seat of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Brioude.
DistancesBrioude is located at 65 km of Clermont-Ferrand, 68 of the Puy-en-Velay, the prefecture, 48 km of Saint-Flour and 486 km of Paris.
- Holy Julien de Brioude, Romain converted with Christianity, martyr in 304.
- Fayette, originating in the surroundings.
- Louis Chuck, celebrates brigand of the 18th century, made in Brioude a passage noticed in 1754, obliging the director of the general farm to buy at full price Tabac of smuggling, dishonouring this notable thus little appreciated, which dies eight days after continuations of its emotion.
- Pierre Joseph Aime Pissis (1812-1889), French geologist born in Brioude, member of the Academy of Science (section of geography), Chevalier of the Legion of Honor, was topographer of Chile about the middle of the XIXe century and calculated the heights of the greatest tops of the Andes. The most volcano of the world and second top of the American continent (6882 m), located in Argentinian close to the Chilean border, bears its name: Nevado or Assembles Pissis.
- Louis de Cazenave, one of the last and senior of the Hairy of the Great War 1914-1918, lives peacefully in its house of Brioude. It was born on October 16th, 1897 with Saint-Georges-in Aurac and fought with the Way of the Ladies.
- Gil Besseyre born in Brioude on September 12th, 1967, former racing cyclist who gained the Turn of Auvergne in 1992, reconverted into the race on foot in mountain, selected in team of France.
- Pierre Vigouroux, Rugby man born in Brioude the June 30th 1983, currently second line with ASM Clermont Auvergne.
- Emmanuel Mouret, actor, scenario writer and realizer, chronicler on France Culture was born in Brioude.
- Jean-Louis Figureau, born in 1946, installed in Brioude in 1970. Pilot motorcylcist and precursor in France in the field of the race of Enduro.
- Jacques Simon (journalist), former editor association of the daily newspaper Le Monde
Tourist monuments and placesThe basilica Saint-Julien , with 74 meters length, is the largest church Romance E of Auvergne. Built between 11th and the 14th centuries, it is remarkable by its polychrome frescos, its paving of rollers to the geometrical or decorative reasons (rosettes, flowers of lily…).
The Hôtel of the Dentelle presents various old and contemporary lace models as well as material being used for making it.
The House of Salmon and the River is a teaching museum-aquarium, located not far from the Frayère S the top Allier until where the Atlantic Saumon Salmo salar goes up, after 800 km of stroke out of fresh water; threatened of disappearance, it is protected since a few years, its rigorously controlled fishing and its migration facilitated by master keys with salmons along the dams Allier, so that its presence in the area is currently in light increase.
|Random links:||Desorden de personalidad | First district of Ariège | Photographs works of art | Bank Stern | Blue lake of Ilhéou | Sanroma handbook | 290s_AVANT_JÉSUS_CHRIST|