Brighton is one of the seaside resorts most famous of England. It was put at the mode in particular by Albert Abdullah David Sassoon, the “Indian Rothschild”, in the Années 1870. Among its famous buildings, extravagant Brighton Pavilion, of Indian aspect but which conceals a Chinese interior, and its large pier with Machines with under and fun fair. The population is estimated at 125.000 inhabitants (248 000 inhabitants for Brighton-Hove conurbation).
The West Pier, another pier, created in 1866 prohibited with the public in 1975 then was destroyed by two fires, whose cause is always unknown, in 2003.
With origins which go up before the Domesday Book, the locality of Brighthelmston became an important thermal spa at the XVIIIe century and a popular destination for the tourists after the arrival of the railroad in 1841. Brighton knew a fast population growth, reaching its record in 1961 with more than 160.000 inhabitants. Modern Brighton forms the center of an important conurbation which extends along the coast between Littlehampton and Seaford, with a population of approximately 550.000 inhabitants.
Brighton is a popular tourist destination which counts many hotels, restaurants and equipment of leisures, and which draws from great profits of the behavior of congress of businesses. Modern city, “Brighton and Hove” is also an important center of education with two universities and the sector of the Language course abroad largely represented (more than 40 English schools).
HistoryIn the Domesday Book, Brighton was called Bristelmestone and been to pay a royalty of 4.000 herrings. Brighthelmstone in June 1514 was entirely burned by French invaders during a war between England and France. Only part of the Saint Nicolas's Day church and the layout of the streets remained. The first known representation of Brighthelmstone was made in 1545 and shows us how one thought the raid of 1514.
During the years 1740 and 1750 Richard Russel, a doctor of Lewes, started to prescribe with his patients the medical use of sea water in Brighton. As from this moment started the development of the district of Regency terraces and the village of fishermen became the elegant destination of Brighton. The growth of the city was stimulated when it accepted the patronage of the Prince regent (thereafter the king George IV) after his first visit in 1783. It passed in this city most of its spare time and built expensive exotic Royal Pavillon during the first part of its regency.
The arrival of the railroad in 1841 put Brighton at the range of the excursionists of London who wished to make a one day there visit, and its fast population growth led it approximately 7.000 inhabitants in 1801 to more than 120.000 in 1901. The Era victorienne saw the construction of many famous buildings of Brighton like the Large Hotel (1864), West Pier (1866) and the De luxe hotel Pier (1899).
After a certain number of changes of limits between 1873 and 1952, the territory of Brighton increased in an important way, passing 1.640 acres in 1854 to 14.347 acres in 1952. New units were built in the zones acquired including in Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Coldean and Whitehawk. A small whole of dwellings, Tarnerland, also was built at the same time, located beside Richmond Street.
On many points, the situation of Après-guerre of Brighton was the continuation of “elegant Brighton” which attracted the aristocracies at the time of kings Georges. The growth of tourism of mass encouraged many companies of Brighton the needs of the holiday makers come as a crowd.
Student's balneal big city from its universities, Brighton is very appraisal by British youth: at one hour of London the beaches and the rate/rhythm of the city allure young English. Years 60-70 were the cradle of a great cultural movement, the Mods (modernistic), which influenced the spirit of this city.
In 1997 Brighton and Hove were joined together to form l'Unitary Authority of Brighton & Hove, which then received from the Queen the statute of the city within the framework of the celebrations of the millenium in the year 2000.
Places and monumentsThe Royal Pavilion is an old royal palace built with the beginning of the year 1800 to be the residence of the prince regent, the future king George IV. It is remarkable by its Indian Architecture and its interior of Eastern style. The building and the gardens were bought by the city in 1849.
West Pier (“thrown western”) was built in 1866 and is closed since 1975 in waiting of renovation works. West Pier was a classified pier historic building to a fire which almost completely destroyed it in 2003. A construction project of another monument at the same place that West Pier was announced in June 2006. It envisages the erection of a Tour of observation of 183 meters, the i360. The architects would be the same ones as for the Millennium Wheel of London.
|Random links:||Cures | Quaternio terminorum | Legend | Squadron of hunting 3/2 Alsace | Yvon Trudel | Déagol|