GeographyBoissy-the-dryness is between the plain of Beauce and the valleys and slopes of the Hurepoix: the village him even, in the south-west of the commune is still in Beauce, whereas two hamlets, in the north of this one it Rotoir and Coming are already located in Hurepoix, edge, for the first, and with the center for the second of the valley of the Vixen. This one gives its name to a classified site, founded into 1987 which, with its registered complement, extends to the west in north and the east from the Commune.
HistoryThe plate around the village was cultivated as of antiquity and of many vestiges of farms Gallic and Gallo-Roman were identified. The Boissy toponym is of Latin origin deriving from Bussecum , place planted of Boxwood and the village was undoubtedly the site of a Gallo-Roman villa. before becoming, under first Capétiens, that of a " grange" royal field of the Crown. Louis VI the Large one granted into 1120 to the inhabitants of the village a charter conferring various privileges to them of which that to be able to be translated into justice apart from their parish. This one was set up in 1195 in Priory depend on the abbey Augustine de Clairefontaine. The construction of the Saint-Louis church started at that time and vast dimensions of its nave suggest that the population of the parish was then numerous, in XIIIe century it reached approximately 700 inhabitants.
In 1216, Philippe created a seigniory with Boissy-the-Dryness by making gift of the grounds and rights that it had there with the one of its familiar, the knight Gauthier de Nanteau of the branch junior by the first house of Nemours which gave several chamberlains to first Capétiens.
At the beginning of the War one hundred year old, Phippe V of Valois charged a knight banneret, Jean Paviot, to hold garrison with the castle of Boissy and to reinforce its defenses. According to the local historians, this strong castle was completed in 1339. But Jean Paviot is attested like lord of Boissy-the-Dryness only in 1349. The castle was taken by the English about 1358 and appeared, in 1360 in the provisions of the preliminary of Peace of Bretigny to the number of the fortified towns left in pledge with King d' Angleterre to guarantee the payment of the ransom of the King de France Jean-the-Good, fact captive at the time of the battle of Poitiers.
At the end of XVe century, the seigniory always belonged to the descendants of Jean Paviot which played a big role in the Army and at the Court of Valois. At that time the castle which had lost its strategic value became a residence of pleasure equipped with a new main building.
The last of Paviot of Boissy-the-Dryness died in 1697 and after various misadventures, the seigniory was bought by Charles Boyetet de Mérouville, of a family of large traders of Orleans, recently anobli by the purchase of a load of Secretary of the King.
The Boyetet family become of Boissy, will preserve the seigniory until the Revolution, her descendants at the time sold the castle, her low court and the grounds with a lawyer of Orleans, Jean-Baptiste Couturier who for his misfortune had been a Farmer general what been worth to him to be guillotine in 1794. Its widow recovered the field under the Directory and brought it to its second husband, Jean-Baptiste Bud. This one became Maire of the village under the Empire and remained it under the Restoration and at the beginning of the Monarchy of July. It made transform the floors and the thickets of the traditional garden of the castle in landscape park and, under its administration, the bell-tower and the porch of the Gothic church which had crumbled were rebuilt in neo-classic style.
Few big events occurred on the commune with XIXe and XXe centuries, except for parachuting in July 1944 of a allied commando who was to try to assassinate the Rommel Marshal, Commander-in-chief of the German troops on the western face. The population which reached the 700 people after the Revolution, was reduced gradually because of the losses of the Great War (32 names are reproduced on the war memorial for this reason) then of the rural migration and at the end of the years 1960 the number of inhabitants had fallen in lower part from 400. This depopulation caused the closing of all the trade of food: the motorization and the concentration of the farmers made disappear the cartwright and the shoeing marshal and a dozen from small farms.
Since the years 1970, the population growth took again and the population reached approximately 650 people in 2007. In fact, the new inhabitants are " rurbains" who live in the countryside and work at the city. Agriculture remains the economic main activity of the commune but makes live directly and indirectly only one about thirty people.
Places and monuments
Boissy-the-dryness has a monumental and landscape inheritance considerable. The borough of Boissy comprises two important buildings, registered voters under the Historic buildings: on the one hand, the vast one and beautiful parish church Saint-Louis built at the end of XIIe century, the vault of collateral, renovated with XVe and the Western solid mass rebuilt at the beginning of XIXe; in addition, the picturesque castle of Boissy, old medieval fortress, transformed into residence of pleasure at the end of XVe century and altered at the beginning of XVIIIe. In the hamlets, one can announce the mechanism of the old public well to Rotoir and the oratory of Saint-Coming to Coming, both registered voters with the small inheritance of the department of the Essonne.
In addition, the dry valley of the Vixen in the North-West of the commune and that of Misery in the east as well as the wooded slopes which border them belong to the classified site or the registered site of the Valley of the Vixen.
Personalities related to the communeJean-Baptiste Bud: mayor of Boissy-the-dryness of 1805 to 1834, owner of the Castle and his farm of which it modernized the exploitation; General adviser of the Department of the Seine.
Edmond Dobler (1905 - 1975), General inspector of Finances, Vice-president of the French Red Cross, chair Social.2poux Museum of the owner of the Castle, it was mayor of the Commune in 1944, after the Release.
- Common of the Essonne
- Boissy-the-Dryness on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Boissy-the-Dryness on the site of INSEE
- Boissy-the-Dryness on the site of Quid
- Localization of Boissy-the-Dryness on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Boissy-the-Dryness on Mapquest
|Random links:||Helle Thorning-Schmidt | Drew Bledsoe | Paul Benoit (missionary) | Zong Qinghou | Automobile Grand Prix of the Netherlands 1978 | Alfred_Hulme|