The Bethylidae are a family of insects Hyménoptère.
MorphologyThe size is average. The general aspect is black or brown black. They resemble ants superficially.
- the wings are sometimes absent or rather short with reduced nervation.
- the head is prognathe (lengthened and in the prolongation of the body).
- the antennas have from 11 to 13 articles (with more the 14 articles).
- Gaster (abdomen) presenting 7 to 8 tergites visible.
- Never of metallic luster.
- reinflated former Femur.
Under families of BethylidaeMore than 2200 species were described, divided into 4 pennies families: Bethylinae , Epyrinae , Pristocerinae , Mesitiinae
- Bethylinae :
- wing Nervation present.
- Face with a median longitudinal hull.
- Mesitiinae :
- Propodeum with a strong simple tooth in position postéromarginale
- 200 species, met on Clytrinae (Coleopter Chrysomelidae .
- Pristocerinae :
- Female apterous, without tégulae nor ocelles.
- Eyes reduced or absent.
- Epyrinae :
- Winged present in general, so not, then presence of tégulae and ocelles.
- Cosmopolitan, parasitizes Coléoptères, in particular those of the stored food products.
BiologyParticularly abundant family in the Tropics. They are parasites of larvae of Lépidoptères and Coléoptères, in particular of the stored food products. The female pricks its prey, involving the paralysis. Then, the eggs are laid on the paralyzed insect and develop with these costs. Scérodermes are predatory larvae of Coléoptère S, the females are apterous.
Biological fightWith Madagascar was introduced in 1973 in low number Goniozus indicus to fight against the white borer of rice Maliarpha separatella Ragonot but this attempt has seems it failed. This species was on the other hand (" re")discovered in 1990 as being in fact indigenous in Madagascar where it parasitizes the white borer naturally, primarily on the coastal regions.
|Random links:||Xerophyllum tenax | Karakalpakistan | Jean-Pierre-Antoine Rey | ASTROLAB 22 | Maxime Leroy | Photovore|