It is a German-speaking city. A small French-speaking minority which accounts for 4% of the population resides at Bern.
Bern counts 300.000 inhabitants by including the agglomeration. It is crossed by the river the Aar. It is registered with the world cultural heritage of UNESCO, thanks to its urban medieval inheritance which succeeded in crossing the Siècle S.
Bern is member of the Organization of the cities of the world heritage and other worldwide organizations.
- the scientist Albrecht von Haller
- the poet Jeremias Gotthelf
- the sculptor Bernhard Luginbühl
- the painter Ferdinand Hodler
- the painter Paul Klee
- the actor Yves Rénier
- the physicist of German origin Albert Einstein developed his Theory of relativity in Bern.
- the sporting leader Marc Hodler.
- the racing cyclist Fabian Cancellara
Bern was founded in 1191 by the duke Bertold V of Zähringen which, according to the legend, would have named the city after having cut down a bear ( Bär in German). (There were bears in Bern during centuries. One can always see of it in the bear pit close to Nydeggbrücke.)
- In 1353, Bern becomes the eighth canton of the young Swiss Confederation.
- After a fire in 1405, the city is entirely rebuilt out of molasse. It keeps of it still today a good part of its aspect.
- In 1848, the new federal constitution makes of Bern the capital (or more precisely “the federal city”) of Switzerland.
- the cathedral
- the old city with its arcades
- the tower of the clock
- the town hall (Rathaus)
- the federal Palate
- castles of Bümpliz
- the bear pit
- the old city is registered since 1983 with the world inheritance of the humanity of UNESCO.
- It obtains the Prix Wakker in 1997
- historical Museum *Musée of natural history *la house Einstein *Musée of the communication *Musée of the Art schools
- Museum of psychiatry *Musée alpine Switzerland *Le Center Paul Klee
- the “Kunsthalle” *Archives Swiss arts persons
- the gone to the onions
- the fair of Bern (BEA)
- the Swiss female race
- Network of Trolley buses, drunk urban and of trams
- On the railway line Lausanne - Zurich
- On the Bern railway line - Thoune - Lötschberg - Aspires to
- On the Bern railway line - Soleure
- On the Bern railway line - Bienne
- On the Bern railway line - Belp - Thoune
- On the Bern railway line - Neuchâtel
the funicular Marzili-City
Vue panoramic of the old city since the cathédrale
Be-X-old: Бэрн Simple: Bern
|Random links:||Garidech | Clay-pits | Forest quartering | Monasterace | Sandy (Lambil) | Tim_Burton|