Battle of Oliwa
The naval Bataille of Oliwa was delivered the November 28th 1627, during the suédo-Polish war (1620 - 1629), with broad of the port of Gdańsk (Dantzig at the time). She opposed a fleet polono - Lithuania to a Swedish squadron which was beaten.
The Swedes, who had a powerful navy, blocked the Polish coasts and in particular, the port of Gdansk. November 28th, the Polish fleet defied the squadron which blocked the port. The Swedes had a naval long tradition, which was not at all the case of Poland, which was going to deliver its first combat. The Poles had the numerical advantage, but the Swedes had more powerful vessels.
Whereas the six vessels of the Swedish squadron sailed coming from the peninsula of Hel, the Polish fleet, ordered by the Admiral Arend Dickman left the port of Gdańsk where it was anchored and attacked, taking completely with deprived its adversaries which expected such a reaction by no means.
The Rycerz Święty Jerzy (Knight of Saint-Georges), Flagship Polish, supported by the Panna Wodna attacked the Tigern , ship-admiral Swedish of the admiral the Nile Stiernsköld. The two buildings landed and the Polish Marines seized the Swedish vessel after a wild fight. The small galleon Wodnik was attacked as for him with the Solen , however much more imposing and demolished it, but its captain preferred to make it jump rather than to return it. The four ships remaining escaped then and were not ratrapés.
Dickman and Stiernsköld perished both in the battle.
- 1st Squadron
- Rycerz Święty Jerzy - Galleon, 31 gun S, 400 barrel X
- Latający Jeleń - galleon, 20 guns, 300 barrels
- Hammered Wodna - Pinka - 12 guns, 160 barrels
- Czarny Kruk - Flûte - 16 guns, 260 barrels
- Żółty Lew - pinka - 10 guns, 120 barrels
- 2nd squadron
- Wodnik - galleon, 17 guns, 200 barrels
- Król Dawid - galleon, 31 guns, 400 barrels, captain Jakub Mora
- Arka Noego - 16 guns, 180 barrels
- Biały Lew - 8 guns, 200 barrels
- Płomień - 18 guns, 240 barrels
- Tigern - galleon, 22 guns, 320 barrels (taken)
- Solen - galleon, 38 guns, 300 barrels (cast)
- Pelikanen - galleon, 20 guns, 200 barrels
- Manem - galleon, 26 guns, 300 barrels
- Enhörningen - galleon, 18 guns, 240 barrels
- Papegojan - Norway pine - 16 guns, 180 barrels
|Random links:||Timberwolves of Minnesota | Lake Chambon | Incal | Truls Ove Karlsen | Operation Wooden leg | Liste_d'hôpitaux_en_Argentine|