Basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière
See also: Notre-Dame
The Basilique of Notre-Dame de Fourvière dominates the town of Lyon since the top of the hill of Fourvière, over the site of old the Forum of Trajan ( Forum vetus , from where the name of Fourvière ), where Saint Pothin undergoes martyrdom. Its architecture of style néo-Byzantine is the work of Pierre Bossan; it became one of the symbols of the city seen from abroad.
The history of the basilica begins in 1643. An epidemic of Plague making rage in the neighborhoods of Lyon, a collective of women requests the Virgin Mary to save the city. Their prayer having been exaucée, the Lyoneses pay homage to Marie by raising a church at the top of the hill. At the time of the bicentenary of this miracle, the December 8th 1843 (or 1852), a gold statue of the Virgin Mary is added to the top of the church. Since, each year, on December 8th, the Lyoneses celebrate the festival of the Lights.
The history is repeated: in 1870, the Prussian seize Paris and progress towards the south. The soldiers are with the doors of the Burgundy when again women gather to beseech the Virgin to save the city. In the days which follow, the army of Bismarck beats retirement. Lyon is saved. In thanks, the Lyoneses finance thanks to a subscription the construction of the basilica.
The work started in 1872 is completed twelve years later. However, it will be necessary to await 1964 so that the interior of the basilica is completed, with its mosaics, its sculptures and its stained glasses.
It is registered with the world heritage UNESCO since 1998 (like all the old city of Lyon) (see the site of UNESCO)
|Random links:||ISAAC | Rachel Hunter | Greatest Funkin' Hits | Colli Altotiberini bianco | Dorothée de Monfreid | Clarendon,_New_York|