The city counts 37790 inhabitants, the urban surface of Auxerre: 85080.
Although being written with a " x" , Auxerre decides Ausserre (/), the // C-W communication to mark " ss" comes from French of the rebirth. One finds other examples, like the town of Brussels.
Its inhabitants is called the Auxerrois .
Of an average altitude of 100 meters, the town of Auxerre was established starting from the hillock overhanging the river.
Of a surface 4995 ha, Auxerre are a big city although a great part is still in natural zone. Auxerre is bordering in north on the communes of Perrigny, Monéteau, Villeneuve-Saint-Salvos; in the east by the communes of Venoy, Quenne, Augy; in the south by Escolives Holy-Camille, Vallan, Chevannes, Field-on-Yonne; and finally in the west by Villefargeau and Saint-Georges on Baulche.
HeraldicOf azure sown of gold billets to the lion of same, armed and lampassé of mouths, stitching on the whole.
Originsthe pagan time
Auxerre, in the form of simple village, occurred at the point of final widening of the valley of the Yonne. The place was favorable: proximity of three fountains and facility to cross the river. The major part of the village was spread out left bank, in the south-western part of the current city (Saint-Pierre districts, Saint-Pilgrim and of the bridge today).
After the conquest of the Gaulle, the Roman city was incorporated at the Gallic city or, which is not established, was juxtaposed there in the west, to the mount Autric (place of the arquebus).
Name of Autricum , the Romains did that of Autessiodurum that they gave to the locality. After having taken various Latin forms, the name evolved/moved according to French forms, among which Autcedre , Auceurre (14th century) and finally, Auxerre (16th century).
Auxerre is relatively low in vestiges of the Roman epoch. There remain nothing the Gallo-Roman city which had a temple of Apollon, an amphitheater, monuments public and statues.
The presence of the Roman legions ensures peace. During the first two centuries of the Christian era, the commercial exchanges are active. The settlement of the area is accentuated. By its river and its roads, Auxerre exports its Vins and its grains. The city reaches prosperity.
Auxerre at the time Christian woman
Towards 258, the pope sends Pilgrim, Roman citizen of noble family, évangéliser the Auxerrois. Before undergoing martyrdom with Spirits (Nievre), in 303, Pilgrim had raised in Auxerre a primitive church (church Saint-Pilgrim), where exists the church rebuilt at the 16th century which is dedicated to him, in the street which bears its name.
According to the tradition, it is necessary to see in the well of Saint-Jovinien, which exists in the basement of the building, the Baptistère of the first Christians of Auxerre.
Under Dioclétien (284 - 305), Auxerre, detached of the Civitas of Direction, was set up in chief town of civitas, administrative unit subjected to the administrative authority of a count. However it is dubious that Auxerre was set up in diocese before the edict of Milan (313), instituting the freedom of the worships.
The first bishop resident will be Saint Amatre. It is the sign which the Christians are sufficiently numerous to have need to frame them. The Christian presence in Auxerre relatively early east thus.
The Lower Empire with the Middle Ages
At the end of the 4th century, Auxerre was hardly raised of the fire and plundering that the Alamans and the Francs had made him undergo in 275 - 276, that strong threats were specified at the borders of the Empire where cruel tribes attentive with the Roman decline were agitated.
Conscious of the threat of a greater danger, the inhabitants then get busy to build fortifications behind which they would be then with the shelter of the incursions. They choose for site of defense the rise in the ground which the cathedral dominates today, overhanging the Yonne, natural defense (4 ha; those of Paris made only 9 ha). The limits are the street of butcheries and the street Under-Walls. In this enclosure the residence of the counts rose, protected by five turns. The base of the tower Saint-Alban and the base of that of the Clock are the only remainders which one can see of this enclosure remained visible until the 17th century.
The solidity of the walls ensured the integrity of the city during the great Germanic invasions of 407. It seems not to have escaped with the confusion of the Huns in 451, of which devastations deprived it of bishop during ten years. The territories pass then under the military command of the counts. The bishops sharing their activity enters the warlike concerns and the organization of their diocese.
Auxerre, monastic city
This period (4th and 5th centuries) is marked by the bishops Saint Amatre and especially by Saint Germain, which made with the church of Auxerre of important liberalities. The name of Germain thus did not cease growing after its death. The legend surrounded its name the marvellous one. Clothilde (the wife of Clovis) substituted for the oratory where Germain had chosen to rest, a basilica that it dedicates to him. These pious provisions are at the origin of the abbey of Saint-Germain whose time Carolingienne will devote the power and the radiation (eminent intellectual center at the 9th century when teaching Bénédictin that there the clerks exempt reached a great reputation in all the Europe).
During the three disturbed centuries which follow, the church of Auxerre, to the hand of its bishops, will make monachism the base of the spiritual and artistic flowering whose Moyen-âge will devote blooming. Indeed, the warlike competitions, the generalized insecurity, the spirit of corruption, the weakness mérovingienne open, at the 6th century, one era of disordered states and anarchy where the ideas of humanism and religion sink. Charles Martel seizes the richnesses of the church and confiscates the Auxerrois and it is only at the 9th century which the bishop of Auxerre will recover sovereignty that it lost on the religious establishments of the city.
But, meanwhile, the Auxerre-native episcopate did not neglect its mission. As of the 6th century, Auxerre had eight churches: Saint-Germain, Saint-Pierre, which, rebuilt, arrived to us; Saint-Amatre, Saint Martin's day of which there remains some vestiges of the rebuilding; Saint-Valérien and Saint-Julien, missing.
The 7th century sees to rise, out of the enclosure, of new monasteries. Towards 634, the Pallade bishop transfers the monastery from Saint-Julien who will enorgueillira himself, later, of three juxtaposed basilicas and two oratories. Also it founds Saint-Eusèbe, which it populates of monk. Vigil, its successor, makes build the church disappeared from Our-Lady-the-of Except (out the walls) which it intends for its burial. It belongs to the bishop Humbaud, at the 9th century, to complete the work of its predecessors by melting the monasteries of Saint-Marien, of the Holy Father, Saint-Gervais and the Islands.
The extent of the monastic city coincides, then, with that of the current city such as its belt of inner boulevards delimits it… A first urbanization takes shape, the religious communities attracting a population of merchants little by little, craftsmen, inhabitants. Making their appearance at the time Carolingian, the parishes, in their turn, come to superimpose itself on the monastic fields.
The Middle Ages
Of Difficult Times
The invasions Normans exhausted the country. Abbots and prelates have girds the sword. In 912, Holy Géran, bishop of Auxerre demolishes the Normands with Saint-Florentin.
The Auxerre-native and Sénonais are joined together with the Burgundy Boson and of Richard the Dispenser of justice. In 1015, the Traité of Hery allots the Burgundy to the king Robert II, and subjects the Auxerrois to the double sovereignty of the count and of the bishop, the county into three baronnies divides.
1039 sees reappearing the wars of Burgundy. The bishop becomes independent of the count on arbitration of Saint Bernard, and suzerain of part of the city.
the enclosure of the 12th century
The different ones that it supports, in particular in 1166 against the count de Chalon, encourage the count Guillaume III to protect the suburbs from the city. Towards 1171, a second enclosure strengthened is hastily built (on 4 km), supported on left bank of the Yonne, like the first, but largely including abbeys and monasteries. The figure of boulevards, now separative of the old and modern cities, appears the layout exactly of it.
The circumstance which the city could be satisfied of its medieval limits during nearly six centuries, is characteristic of the absence of strength of the confined rural economy which was that of the area.
In 1183, the bishop of the city, Hugues de Noyers, takes the head of the repression armed with the levelling movement of the Capuchonnés.
the meeting in France
It returned to Pierre de Courtenay, most famous of the counts d' Auxerre, first cousin of Philippe Auguste, to complete the second enclosure of the city. Hardly elected in the throne of Constantinople, he dies in 1218. His/her daughter, Mathilde, will attach her name to the granting of the communal franknesses. One of the girls of Mathilde, by marriage, will make pass the Comté of Auxerre of the family of the Courtenay to that of the Chalon.
At the time of the Guerre One hundred Year old, in January 1358, road English and attacks Auxerre and seizes the city by surprised the March 10th 1358, putting it in plundering. In 1348 and 1361, the Black Death adds its devastations to excesses of armed robbery.
Weak and tired, the old count Jean III sells the county to the king Charles V, by act of the January 25th 1370, with the help of 30.000 francs of gold. By this first meeting with the crown, the Resident of Auxerre becomes middle-class of the king. But the war of the Armagnacs and the occurring Bouguignons, Auxerre takes the party of the duke of Burgundy, Jean without Peur. A peace, more ostentatious than sincere, is signed in Auxerre the July 22nd 1412. It is Louis XI which will obtain the transfer of the county of Auxerre, transfer regularized in 1490. Meanwhile, the Resident of Auxerre makes their tender with the king, and Charles Bold the perishes with Nancy in 1477. The fastening of the Comté of Auxerre in France became this time final.
the art of the Rebirth The war had passed the Alps. With dazzling, the noble ones discover the Italy from where they bring back a new design of the life and, decisive shock, an idea of Article.
Cities and campaigns bandage their wounds then. The churches everywhere are raised. Auxerre, for its food, derives abundant water from Vallan (1495). The cathedral there is completed. Printing works is flourishing (especially with Joigny) and the bishop Jean Baillet makes carry out the famous tapestries of the invention of the relics of Etienne saint of which it decorates the cathedral.
But it is surely the gate of évêché which is regarded as most interesting of the Auxerre-native monuments of the Renaissance. He is the work of François II of Dinteville that missions in Italy had familiarized with the art nouveau. It is also necessary to add the rebuilding of the Saint-Pierre church and the door of the same abbey, opening on the street Joubert with its beautiful Renaissance arcade.
Let us not forget the style of the Auxerre-native private hotels of the 16th century which is that of the second period of the Rebirth: the hotel of Crole, the Amyot hotel or the hotel of the Kite, which passes to be the oldest civil building of Auxerre (S).
urbanization of the 16th century The end of the wars of France-Burgundy brought to the Auxerrois one era of safety and prosperity during which the chief town will be worked with the modern world. The stamping made from rapid progress in the campaigns, the trade is active. Auxerre grows rich by the export of its wines. Ease grows among the vine growers, the carrying ones by water, and the owners.
At the beginning of the century, the development of construction involves the retreat of the monastic fields to the profit of the allotments. The payments of roadway system make their appearance. The network of the streets takes little by little the aspect which it will preserve until the contemporary time.
Equipped with a mayor by Charles IX, the municipality is devoted to the tasks of municipal administration, built or rebuilt the public buildings (town hall, bridge, clock, law courts, hospital of Maladière…).
religious and civil wars
the edict of 1562 prohibits the worship protesting in the cities. The Auxerre-native Protestants find themselves then with Cravant (20 km). Helped by the governor, they seize the city the September 27th 1567. They are delivered to it incontinent to the plundering and the devastation of the churches.
The catholics recover the city the following year and massacre approximately 150 reformed. But the quarrels of the princes come to be added to local passions. The majority of the inhabitants of Auxerre declares itself for the Ligue against the king. One will need the abjuration of Henri IV and especially the presence of the royal troops for the doors of Auxerre so that the city, the April 19th 1594, makes its tender with Henri IV.
The Old Mode
Two centuries (XVIIe-XVIIIe) still animated
The abuses the taxation, the bad weather, the Plague and the reappearance of the Leprosy, had tested the Resident of Auxerre since the beginning of the century. Of poor inspiration, the municipality became exhausted in multiplied lawsuits.
The armed disorders reappear with the Fronde. Auxerre holds for the king and resists the attack of Condé. But to and from of the troops of the two parties, the armed robbery, leaves the devastated country. Economically, the 18th century will be disappointing. At the time of the famine of 1709, one counts in Auxerre the 3000 poor. Also the end of the century will show it a serious demographic retreat.
However towards 1750, the capacity is concerned with extension and restoration of the transportation routes whose state is lamentable. Public lighting makes a shy person appearance in 1788 with two lanterns. Also the installation of the old fortifications in public walks begins in 1732.
Auxerre, bastion of Jansénisme
The great quarrel of the theologists on predestination and the grace, after having opposed the catholics to the Protestants, comes to divide the catholics themselves. Faithful to the ideas of Port-Royal, Mgr of Caylus, bishop of Auxerre, with him the majority of its clergy involves.
The diocese of Auxerre, “refuge of the sinners”, accommodates the persecuted priests, attracts itself the lightnings of the government for its clandestine action. The after-effects of the Jansénisme will mark the Resident of Auxerre durably. Ostracism against the priests Jansenists, the distrust of the populations against their successors, the shortage of priests after the Revolution, will support, until the Restoration, the development of a “worship laïcal” dechristianisator and of an anticlericalism which will weaken only at the 20th century.
Revolution at the time Contemporary
The convocation of the General states, the election of the deputies of the Third (March 23rd 1789), is done, in Auxerre, in enthusiasm. In 1790, the administrative cutting of the country involves the hard creation of the Département of Yonne. A little later the diocese of Auxerre is removed.
The Auxerre-native revolutionary history could avoid being bloody. If one excludes the accidental murder of two national guards in 1792. Passions, undoubtedly, did not give the course which they had elsewhere: imprisonments, persecution of the clergy, closing, demolition of the churches (Saint-Wolf, N.D. - the-of Out, Saint-Regnobert…), their assignment with the revolutionary worship, the clubs, public services. On the air of " Jean de Nivelles " , the Resident of Auxerre popularized the picturesque and agitated figure of Guillaume Roussel (the famous Cadet Roussel), Auxerrois of adoption, that its attitudes in the demonstrations and processions revolutionary had made famous.
empire and its heroes
The invasion of 1814 brings the Austrians to Auxerre, taken again by the French troops, occupied again after the good-byes of Fontainebleau. Return of the isle of Elba, Napoleon arrives at Auxerre the March 17th 1815, cabin two days with the prefecture and reviews the troops come to join him.
Child of Resident of Auxerre, born with Annoux, schoolboy of the college of Auxerre, volunteer of 1792, Davout was one of the best lieutenants of Napoleon (Davout statue set up on the walks). The city showed many sympathies Bonapartists during several decades. The celebrity of the captain Jean-Roch Coignet undoubtedly was there for much. Native of Yonne, Coignet was also a true hero of the wars of the Empire (he dies in 1860).
Last notes of history
The history of Auxerre continues, at the 19th century, the unison with the national history. In 1848, the city is held at the edge of the seditious demonstrations. The liberal and socialist republican opinion has vigorous roots in the area. The political repression of 1852 will be severe there.
Meanwhile, the city made toilet. One pushes with the paving of the streets and the installation of the walks is completed. In 1866, Napoleon III is accommodated as a visitor at the time of a regional agricultural show. To the hinge of the centuries, the public walks will be furnished with vast decorated residences of parks and gardens.
The wars bring to Auxerre their emotions and their mournings. The December 21st 1870, the white flag is hoisted at the top of the cathedral after a bombardment. The German bombardments of 1940 involve the destruction of part of the district of the Bridge. In August 1944, the city is released by the troops of the Maréchal Leclerc. Two monuments commemorate deaths and victims of these harmful periods (place of the arquebus and Saint-Amatre place).
The commune of Be worth amalgamated with Auxerre in 1972.
The town of Auxerre knew a strong growth during the Glorious Thirty and by the phenomena of Rural migration, of the Baby-boom but especially of the in particular but so Spanish Immigration Moroccan and Portuguese or thanks to the arrival of the populations originating in DOM-TOM. Today, the town of Auxerre loses population slightly. This loss is largely compensated by the increase in the urban surface, in particular by the surge the Parisian ones attracted by the proximity with the Île-de-France and by the framework of life.
AdministrationAuxerre is place chief of department and district. It is the center of several cantons which extend on the common neighbors:
Mayors of Auxerre
Auxerre is regarded out of electoral matter as the Frenchwoman city-type as regards election. This particularism was worth at the city various attentions, in particular the network France Inter and the NewYork Times .
EconomyThe city is located in full heart of an wine-producing area (Chablis, Saint-Breaking-the-Vinous, Irancy, Coulanges-the-Vinous…), the city rests primarily on the tertiary sector. In spite of an unemployment rate higher than the national average in the years 1990, Auxerre has from now on an unemployment rate of 8,4% (2005) lower than the national average.
This city is also known for its team of Football belonging to AJ Auxerre, founded in 1905 by the abbot Deschamps (Ernest of its first name).
The Park Exposure Auxerrexpo is an undeniable asset of the city as well culturally as economically by the many demonstrations organized throughout the year.
Auxerre is the seat of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Yonne. It manages the airport of Auxerre - Branches and the river port of pleasure.
Auxerre also has great industrial and commercial parks among which:
- ZI of the Plain of Isles
- ZI of the Plains of Yonne
- DC of Clairions
- DC Saint-Siméon
- DC Bank-Right-hand side
See also: High of Auxerre, List of the streets of Auxerre
The town of Auxerre is divided into 11 districts:
On left bank:
Downtown area, (5 372 inhabitants)
Saint-Julien/Saint-Amâtre (5 005 inhabitants)
- Piédalloues/La Ties (2 750 inhabitants)
- Conches/Clairions (1 860 inhabitants)
- Rosoirs (3 912 inhabitants)
- Saint-Siméon (3 459 inhabitants)
- Holy-Genevieve (3 865 inhabitants)
- Boussicats (2 264 inhabitants)
- Brichères (1 889 inhabitants)
On Right Bank:
Right Bank: Plattes, Vauviers, Cross of the South, City of Egriselles (3656 inhabitants)
- Saint-Gervais/Brazza (2326 inhabitants)
In addition to the peripheral rehabilitation of the districts of the city and great units, the town of Auxerre has, in its urban futurology, various projects. The new sports complex of the Right Bank goes in the direction of a relaunching of the district. Just as the construction of a room of current musics (SMAC) intended to accommodate the young resident of Auxerre and the young artists. The weekly pietonisation of the principal artery of Auxerre, the street of the Temple launched the debate on the pietonisation of the downtown area. Finally with the Clairions, the construction of a new more powerful center of psychiatry replaced the old establishment which will be subjected to an urban rehabilitation. The opening to the urbanization of the Door of Paris will set up a district where social diversity and economic will be of setting, the urban project will share zones of activities and residential at the doors of the downtown area.
Green areasAuxerre is rewarded city flowered by the National council for the cities and villages flowered for France.
gardens of the abbey Saint-Germain : formerly, place of meditation and rest in the old abbey, old orchard and kitchen garden. The gardens mark out from now on the entry of the museum. The presence of a terrace allows animations of summer when the public discovers the art of botany.
the Walks : It is under the pressure of the resident of Auxerre frustrated not to be able to reach the garden of the Knight of the Arquebus that east creates this " boulevard vert" instead of the old fortifications of the downtown area. Lines of flowered floors, lawns and limes, the Walks also offer a garden to the Frenchwoman on the site of the Arquebus.
- Garden of the Natural history museum : on the site of the Natural history museum of Natural history of the town of Auxerre east creates a splendid garden with the Frenchwoman with the species as superb as exotic. Located on the ring roads of the downtown area, the garden of the natural history museum offers to the public many animations and exposures.
Park of the Marshals : private park located in a hotel close to the Natural history museum, its name is drawn from the Foch avenue on which it is installed.
Public garden Leblanc-Duvernoy : public garden located in the hyper-center of Auxerre, the Leblanc-Duvernoy public garden is a green corridor which leads to the museum of Earthenware.
Arboretum Darnus-Rantheaume : large of 3ha, this splendid space of nature offers to two steps downtown area, a flora splendid and varied as well as a space of plays and relaxation for the public.
Plains of Yonne : walk of more than 1,5km energy of the Island to the Pleasures until the site of Auxerrexpo, this walk offers to the visitor a fauna and a rich flora along the river.
the tow path : formerly, the horses drew the barges. From now on, this way which skirts the Yonne and the Canal of the Resident of Nevers is a marvellous place invaded by the joggers, the walkers, the vetetists. Starting from the park of Tree-Dryness, one can go along the river until the department of the Nievre, 60 km more in the south.
Park of Tree-Dryness : more green big space of the city, the park of Tree-Dryness is “the” green lung of the city. Located at the edge of the Yonne, one reaches it by an alley of plane trees. In addition to its spaces of leisures, Tree-Dryness contains more than 300 trees and: 28000 plants.
the public garden of Roscoff : On the site of an old monastery, the Public garden of Roscoff is bordered by the Yonne. Located on Right Bank, it undoubtedly offers one of the most beautiful sights on the monuments of Auxerre. One reaches it since the district of " Marine" by a footbridge. The Roscoff Public garden is the place which accommodates the manifestations of July 14th around the marina.
green Casting : A walk on a preserved natural way where the flora is very rich and the unspoilable view, way of approval of 4 km which uses the old railway line Auxerre - Gien and which goes from SNCF railway station to the road of Toucy. In the long term it will make it tower of the city, while passing behind Brichères, the districts Holy-Genevieve and Saint-Siméon, before going down again along the quays of the Yonne, side Right Bank, and joining SNCF railway station. Green Casting will also cross the Islands of the Mill of the President, a true natural park of four hectares which the City has just acquired. Once finished, by 2008 or 2010, it is a walk of 15 kilometers which will be offered to the Resident of Auxerre, that is to say four hours of walk in full nature, with two steps of on their premises.
Transport in soft modes
urban cycle Tracks: since 2002, the town of Auxerre continues the installation of a cycle urban network, a course which the two-wheeled vehicles can borrow in full safety. A track connects the college Fourier, the district Holy-Genevieve with the Center-ville. Another connects the station to the walks while passing by the boulevard of the Chain and a third master key by the swimming pool and the edges of the Yonne. The Yver avenues and Pierre-of-Courtenay are also equipped.
- green Casting: girdle peripheral of 15 km around the city accessible to the pedestrians and cyclists.
Road transportAuxerre is served by the Autoroute A6 and profits from the two exchangers
- Auxerre-North on RN6
- Auxerre-South on RN65
In addition a network of trunk roads allow the road service road of Auxerre since Troyes, Nevers, Dijon, Orleans or Châlon-sur-saône (RN151, RN77) as well as the western by-pass of the city. Several important road projects must be set up on Auxerre. The southern by-pass must soon be born to deviate road flow on the south of the agglomeration and thus to avoid the crossing of the city. Finally the file on the highway A26 between Troyes-Auxerre-Bourges should in the long term be born within the framework of the large coutournement of Paris.
See also: Auxerre-Saint-Gervais, Laroche-Migennes
The rail traffic is carried out mainly from the station the SNCF of Auxerre-Saint-Gervais: daily and regular trains connect Auxerre to Paris (Gare de Lyon, Gare of Bercy).
Many are however the resident of Auxerre prefer outward journey at the station of Laroche-Migennes, located at 20 km of Auxerre on the Paris line - Dijon, and served better. The installation of “TGV Yonne” puts from now on Lyon at 1:30 of Laroche-Migennes and Montpellier and Marseilles with 3:30.
The station of Auxerre-Saint-Amatre, in the south-west of the city is unused.
- : C.C Clairions - Plattes
- : Bréandes - Piédalloues
- : Perrigny Monument - Mignottes
- : Boussicats - Luxembourg
- : C.C Clairions - the ADAPT
- : Door of Paris - I.U.T
- : Chesnez Places - Arquebus
- : Pien Places - Arquebus 1
- : Villefargeau Allotment - Arquebus 2
- : Augy - Arquebus 1-2
- : Orgy Bus shelter - the SNCF
The point of agreement of the lines is located on the Arquebus close to the Door of the Temple and on the Door of Paris.
The Migraine station of Auxerre is located at the Door of Paris, various lines of the TransYonne network allow the service road in all the department of the Yonne like those of the Nievre, the Aube and Seine-et-Marne.
Air transportsThe essence of the air traffic is carried out starting from the airport Auxerre-Branches even if the activity of this one is strongly limited by demography on the one hand, but also by the proximity of the Aéroports of Paris. The ways carried out by the football team of AJ Auxerre is carried out starting from Auxerre-Branches.
A long time turntable of the wood traffic coming from the Morvan and bound for Paris giving to a district of Auxerre the name of " the Navy " , the river activity on Yonne and the Canal of the Resident of Nevers remains exclusively tourist today (barges, cruising, restaurant…) and is part from now on of the inheritance the town of Auxerre. For the 17th century Yonne was used to transport wines to Paris, one said: The King drinks the Resident of Auxerre.
Tourist monuments and places
Monuments and curiosities
The historical center of the city received the label Ville of Art and History in 1995.
- Cathedral Saint-Etienne
Abbey of Saint-Germain , dating from the year 800, it is presented in the form of a room divided into three naves, separated by two lines from columns which carry the vault in architrave in oak. The end of the central nave opens on the Confession, it even surrounded by a corridor which emerges in the collateral ones. The unit was increased between 841 and 854 by side crypts prolonged towards the east and joined together by a corridor, by which one reached the rotunda which also had a stage on the level of the church. In 1277 one began the construction of the church whose certain details are copied from the cathedral.
Église Saint-Eusèbe , of which the oldest foundation goes back to the 7th century, reflects work with the wire of the centuries. The nave, altered at the 13th century, rests on a tower Romance, similar to that of the Saint-Germain abbey. It precedes a chorus rebuilt at the 16th century, higher than the nave, illuminated by beautiful stained glasses. It also has a very beautiful Romance bell-tower of the 12th century
Vault of the Visitandines
Vault of the convent of the Ursulines
Vault of the seminar
- Museum Saint-Germain in the middle of the Abbey.
Museum Leblanc-Duvernoy, family home rehabilitated in museum.
- the downtown area is marked out sculptures out of wood painted of the artist François Brochet. One of them represents the Auxerre-native poetess Marie Christmas. Others represent scenes inspired of works of the writer Restif of Breton the, originating in the surroundings. Unfortunately, these works are regularly victims of degradation of some indelicate and the originals have being replaced. To also note the presence of a surmounted fountain of a statue of Roussel Junior, character originating in Auxerre.
the Center offers to the visitor a multitude streets with the aspect and the architecture which recall those of the city to the Middle Ages. The turn of the Clock presents a superb model to two faces (of which one is a copy according to original) 15th century with the beautiful colors dew and gilded.
According to the tourist office, the impact of the footballistic European meetings of the AJA is notable. Many foreign tourists stated to be stopped in Auxerre because they had heard of the team of foot.
Always very active, the Company of Historical and Natural Sciences of Yonne, 1 rue Marie-Noël, learned society, founded in 1847, has studied and published for more than 160 years the history and the archeology of the town of Auxerre. It founded and enriched the museums by Auxerre throughout its history. It organizes conferences, monthly conferences as well as very many publications each year.
the International festival of the film music starts to acquire a fame in the artistic world. The edition 2004 - having accommodated the team of the Chorus-singers and Michel Legrand - made full house. In the same way, the concert of fence given in 2006 by Ennio Morricone and its orchestra which saw the type-setter Maurice Jarre giving to his old friend a decoration in the name of the French Republic.
the 3rd weekend of May, the demonstration Fleurs of Vine joins together a hundred Windfallen wood wine growers and Large Resident of Auxerre on the quays of Yonne, historical starting place of the wines towards Paris.
the Festival In Zarbs which is held each year in July with the Parc of Tree-Dryness. It accommodates during 3 days of the experienced artists or in becoming such as Ska-P, Kana, Babylon Circus, Benabar, Corneille, Gnawa Diffusion, Amadou and Mariam, Sinsémilia, the People of the Grass, Sinclair, the Pig-headeds, Louise Attaque, Dub Incorporation, Mickey 3D, Hubert-Felix Thiéfaine, Tryo, Miossec, Renaud, Jacques Higelin…
Press and MediaAuxerre is the seat of the local newspaper of information Yonne Républicaine . Newspaper creates the August 24th 1944, the day of the Release of Auxerre, the newspaper is diffused in the whole of the department but also in the north of the Nievre, the south of the Seine-et-Marne. The newspaper is published in more than 44.000 specimens and in 500 sales outlets. The seat of the newspaper is located on the avenue Jean-Mill. Auxerre also profits from the unhooking of information of France 3 for the 12/13 and the 19/20, a local newspaper of France 3 Burgundy is assured. Among the local radios, Auxerre shelters the seat of France Blue Auxerre but also of local radios such as Radyonne .
Jacques Amyot (1513-1593), bishop of Auxerre and Grand Chaplain of France under François Ier, it was at the origin of many ancient translations and is regarded as great humanistic 16th century.
- Paul Bert (1833-1886), physiologist and politician.
- Jean-Roch Coignet, soldier of the Revolution and the Empire, author of the Books of the captain Coignet .
- Carol Ficatier, playmate of the magazine Playboy, born in 1958.
- Joseph Fourier (1768-1830), physicist and mathematician having studied with the college Jacques Amyot and with which one must, inter alia, the theory of the Fourier series and the Transformée of Fourier.
Hugues Ier de Thoury, bishop of Auxerre in 1175, and receive this same date the transfer of more than forty family of the city and will be the confessor of Gaucher of Châtillon.
- Garry Kasparov world champion Russian of Echecs played Auxerre-native club the White Lady.
- Daniel Lesueur writer, lives today in Auxerre.
- Marie Christmas (1883-1967), poetess.
- Safia Otokoré, French political woman, member of the Socialist party.
- Marcel Little laddie (1897-1946), doctor and serial killer.
- Jean-Paul Rappeneau (1932), realizer ( Hussard on the roof , Cyrano of Bergerac , Good voyage ).
- Guillaume Joseph Roussel (1743-1807), usher in Auxerre of 1780 to 1795. Hero involuntary of song (Cadet Roussel) which owes its celebrity to the volunteers of Yonne left to reinforce the borders in 1792.
- Guy Roux (1938), trainer of AJA of 1961 to 2005.
- Robert of Auxerre, died in 1212, medieval Chronique ur.
- St-Germain of Auxerre (v.378-448), bishop of Auxerre. It went to Great Britain to be opposed to the partisans pélagiens, with the support, inter alia, of holy Augustin.
Teaching and education
In spite of the limited demography of the city, Auxerre profits from a network significant schools of the teaching of the 1st degree until higher education. The decentralization of certain formations makes it possible today the town of emerge as regards professional trainings.
The town of Auxerre profits from schools of 1st many degree in the public as in the private one. These schools are located in the whole of the districts and common the associates (Be worth, Chesnez, Laborde)