The August 9th is the 221e Jour of the Année (222e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier.
1 to 1900
378: Battle of Turkey-red cotton, during which the emperor Valens east demolishes by the Visigoths of Fritigern and killed. The Thrace is plundered, except the strengthened cities, that the barbarians cannot take. Turkey-red cotton and Constantinople resists. Théodose, a Spanish sent by Gratien, has time to intervene to take again the situation in hand.
- 870: Signature of the third Treated of Mersen which divides the Lotharingie.
- 1173 : Pose first stone for the Campanile of the basilica of Pisa (Tour of Pisa).
- 1471 : Election of Francesco Della Rovere (1414 - 1484) like pope. He takes the name of Sixte IV, and will reign until his death in 1484.
- 1520 : After more than fifteen years of various operations and disappointed hopes, the Prince-bishop of Liege Érard of Marck is finally promoted cardinal, with the support of the new emperor Charles Quint whom it supported against François Ier during the countryside for the imperial election, but “its nomination will remain secret some time by regard for France” which regards Érard as its “enemy mortal”.
- 1534 : Discovered by Jacques Cartier of the river the St. Lawrence.
- 1564 : Promulgation of the Edict of Roussillon which makes begin the year on January 1st in France.
- 1789 : Floatation of a first loan of thirty million launched by Necker.
- 1789 : Birth with Montmédy of Nicolas Bochsa, one of the most famous harpists of the XIXe century to the romantic life.
- 1793 : Pierre Jadart Dumerbion is named general-in-chief of the Armée with Italy.
- 1805 : The Austria, the the United Kingdom, the Sweden, the Russia and Naples form a coalition against Napoleon.
- 1830 : Louis-Philippe Ier becomes king of the French; Proclamation of the Monarchy of July.
- 1889 : First time that a flash falls down on the Paratonnerre of the Eiffel Tower since his construction.
- 1899 : The general Gallieni, general governor of Madagascar is promoted Major general.
1902 : Crowning of the king of the United Kingdom Edouard VII.
- 1903 : Crowning of the Pope Black and white X.
- 1910 : Installation of Marc Chagall in Paris.
- 1944 : Creation of the regional newspaper free Maine in Mans.
- 1945 : Bombardment of Nagasaki (Japan) by the the United States with a bomb with the Plutonium, 74.000 dead.
- 1947 : Beginning of the 6th World Jamboree scout with Moisson (78), France. It was called the “Jamboree of Peace”. To see: Jamboree 1947
- 1970 : Crash landing of a plane Lockheed L-188 with Cuzco: 99 dead.
- 1965 : Independence of Singapore.
- 1971 : The India sign a treaty of friendship and co-operation with the Soviet Union.
- 1974 : Resignation of Richard Nixon like chair the United States.
- 1979 : Shipwreck of the Oil Atlancic Empress and its cargo of 276.000 tons crude, entered in collision with Aegean Captain (200 000 tons of crude) at sea of the Caribbean.
- 1982 : Attack against a Jewish restaurant street of the Rose trees with Paris: 6 dead.
- 1993 : Advent of the king Albert II of Belgium nine days after the death of his/her brother Baudouin.
- 1999 : Boris Ieltsine dismisses its Prime Minister Sergueï Stepachine whom it replaces by Vladimir Poutine.
- First meeting of the government of the Ivory Coast with ex-rebels.
- With Saint-Sebastien (Spain, province of Guipúzcoa), alternate of Eduardo Gallo, Spanish Matador.
- 2005 : The CGT, which asked for the cancellation of the ordinance of August 2nd, 2005, deposits a recourse in front of the International organization of Work; the new type of contract having been created by this ordinance allowing to lay off without reason.
Arts and Cultures
- 1704 : Achilles Valencian, French zoologist specialist in the fish († 1865).
- 1726 : Francesco Cetti, priest Jesuit, Zoologist and Mathematician Italy N († 1778).
- 1740 : Giovanni Cristofano Amaduzzi ( Amadutius ), monk, academic, Philosopher and scholar Italy N. († January 21st 1792).
- 1776 : Amedeo Avogadro, chemist and Italian physicist († July 9th 1856)
- 1806: Eugene Pierre François Giraud, French artist (° 1881).
- 1814 : Alexander Willem Michiel Van Hasselt, Doctor and Naturalist Dutch († 1902).
- 1845 : Alfred Bessette, religious inhabitant of Quebec († January 6th 1937)
- 1851: Jules Scalbert, French painter.
- 1874 : Charles Strong Hoy, American writer and researcher paranormal († May 3rd 1932)
- 1892: Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan, mathematician and Indian librarian († September 27th 1972)
- 1896: Jean Piaget, Swiss psychologist of the children with Neuchâtel.
- 1905 : Pierre Klossowski, writer and draftsman French.
- 1907 : Marion Burns, American actress. († December 22nd 1993)
- 1908: Tommaso Landolfi, writer Italy N. († July 8th 1979)
- 1911: William Fowler, Nobel Prize of Physics in 1983.
- 1914 :
- Ferenc Fricsay, Leader Hungarian († February 20th 1963).
- Leif Hamre, Norwegian writer . († August 23rd 2007).
- 1919 : Emilio Vedova, painter Italy N (° 1995). († October 25th 2006)
- 1920: Lola Bobesco, Belgian violonist of Rumanian origin. († September 4th 2003).
- 1923 : Catherine Langeais (Marie-Louise Terrace), French presenter of television († April 23rd 1998).
- 1927 :
- Marvin Minsky, scientific American.
- Daniel Keyes, writer of science fiction, researcher in psychology.
- 1930 :
- 1928 : Bob Cousy, American basketball player.
1931 : Mario Jorge Lobo Zagallo, Brazilian footballer.
- 1938 : Rod Laver, tennis player.
- 1939 : Bubble Ogier, French actress.
- 1950 : Anemone (Anne Bourguignon), French actress.
- 1951 : Jorge Recalde, pilot of rally.
- 1953 : Christophe Salengro, French artist.
- 1957 : Melanie Griffith, American actress, born in New York.
- 1963 : Whitney Houston, singer states-unienne
- 1968: Gillian Anderson, American actress.
- 1973 : Filippo Inzaghi, Italian footballer.
- 1974 : Raphaël White beet, biathlète French.
- 1976 : Audrey Tautou, French actress.
- 1977 : Woodland Mickaël, French footballer.
- 1982 : Gay Tyson, American athlete
- 1048 : Damask II, pope.
- 1652 : Jan Dirkszoon Both, painter Danish
- 1892: Emil Jakob Schindler, impressionist painter Austrian (° 1842)
- 1914: Corchaito (Fermín Muñoz Corchado there González), Spanish Matador (° October 10th 1882).
- 1915 : Frank Bramley, British painter (° 1857)
- 1919: Robert Thegerström, artist Swedish
- 1932: John Charles Fields, Canadian Mathematician
- 1942: Tahar Sfar, politician Tunisia N (° 1903)
- 1943: Chaïm Soutine, painter French of origin Lithuania (° 1894)
- 1962: Hermann Hesse, Swiss writer, (° 1877)
- 1967: Joe Orton, British playwright (° January 1st 1903)
- 1969: Assassination of Sharon Touches, American actress and marries Roman Polanski.
- 1969: Cecil Frank Powell, Nobel Prize of Physics in 1950
- 1975: Dmitri Chostakovitch, Russian type-setter
- 1983: Andre Hossein, type-setter of film musics, father of Robert Hossein
- Colette Besson, French athlete, Olympic champion of the 400 meters with Mexico City in 1968
- François Paves, former president of L'Oreal
- 2006: James Alfred Van Allen, physicist and American astronomer
- international Day of the populations autochtones.
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
- Martin de Brive (+ towards 407), martyr.
Catholic saints of the day
- Edith Stein (1891-1942), Carmelite nun.
- Holy Love: Honore in Franche-Comté, at the village of Saint-Love (the Jura) and in Beaujolais wine.
- For the Spanish-speaking ones: San Justo San Román.
|Random links:||Burkholderiales | Canton of Charny-on-Meuse | Stanley Hayter | Towson | Triéthylamine|