The August 24th is the 236e Jour of the Année (237e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier.
1066 : Dedication by Libert, bishop of Cambric, and Théoduin of Bavaria, bishop of Liege, the church of Notre-Dame de Huy, rebuilt, after its destruction in 1053 by the count de Flandre Baudouin V '' the Piles '' (v. 1012 - 1067).
1217 : Overcome and taken by the English at the time of the Battle of Sandwich (still called Bataille of South-Foreland ), close to Dover, during which the English fleet beat the French fleet, Eustace the monk, one of the most famous pirates of the 13th century, had the distinct head.
1346 : The English troops, which plunder and burn the villages of the Ponthieu on their passage, put at bag Ponthoile the day of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, hardly two days before the Bataille of Crécy, burning the Church, dating from the 12th century.
1690 : In India, the English Job Charnock (? - 1693), an agent of the East India Company , person in charge of the English factory of Cassim Bazar installs a new factory with Sutanati. This date is generally regarded as the date of foundation of modern the Calcutta.
- August 24th 1704: The Battle of Málaga (or Vélez-Málaga )
- 1788: In France, reference of the minister Loménie de Brienne.
1842 : Foundation of current Chicoutimi by Peter McLeod.
1949 : The treaty creating NATO between into force.
- 1698: Erik Pontoppidan, Theology N and zoologist Danish. († December 20th 1764)
- 1807: Jules Verreaux, Botanist and Ornithologist French. († September 7th 1873)
- 1844: Emile Oustalet, zoologist French. († October 23rd 1905)
- 1862: Lajos Méhelÿ, zoologist Hungarian. († between 1946 and 1952)
- 1872: Aubrey Beardsley, British Illustrator . († March 16th 1898)
- 1899: Jorge Shine Borgès, writer and Argentinian Poète . († June 14th 1986)
- 1915: Wynonie Harris, Singer of Blues and Rhythm and American blues . († June 14th 1969)
- 1916: Léo Shoed, Poet, Anarchistic and Musician free Monegasque, Song writer and performer of songs. († July 14th 1993)
- 1922: Rene Lévesque, Journalist, Radio presenter and of television, Appointed, minister and political leader Québécois. († November 1st 1987)
- 1923: Jean-Marc Thibault, Actor, Realizer and Scenario writer French.
- 1924 : Ahmadou Ahidjo, first president of the Cameroun. († November 30th 1989)
- 1929: Yasser Arafat, Activist then Palestinian Politician . († November 11th 2004)
- 1944: Gregory B. Jarvis, American Astronaut . († January 28th 1986)
- 1945: Lillian Dyck (born in North Battleford, in Saskatchewan) is a Canadian sénatrice for the province of Saskatchewan.
- 1946 : Richard NR. Richards, American Astronaut .
- 1947 : Paulo Coelho, Novelist and a interprets Brésil IEN.
- 1948 :
- Jean Michel Guard hair, Type-setter French of Electronic music.
- Alexander McCall Smith, writer and Lawyer of the Zimbabwe of Scottish origin .
- 1949 : Anna Fisher, American Astronaut .
- 1950 : Marc Aaronson, American Astronomer .
- 1951 : Orson Scott Card, American writer of Science fiction .
- 1962 : Mary Weber, American Astronaut .
- 1963 : Hideo Kojima, creator of Video games Japan board.
- 1964 : Salizhan Sharipov, Uzbek first Spationaut .
- 1972 : Dave Vault, actor states-unien
- 1979: Michael Redd, player of American Basketball .
- 1980 : Kim Kallstrom, player of Football Swedish.
- 1981 : Chad Michael Murray American Actor .
- 1982 : Cathialine Andria French Singer and Song writer and performer .
- 1988 : Rupert Grint, British Actor .
- 1217 : Eustace the monk alias the Black Monk , famous Pirate S of the beginning of the 13th century. (° Ca 1170)
- 1372: Casimir III of Poméranie, duke of Szczecin.
- 1540 : Parmigianino, painter Italy N of the Rebirth. (° January 11th 1503)
- 1572: Gaspard de Coligny, admiral of Henri II then chief of the Huguenot S (° February 16th 1519)
- 1648: Diego de Saavedra Fajardo, writer, statesman and Spanish diplomat of the Century of gold. (° May 6th 1584).
- 1803 : James Napper Tandy, Politician and popular hero of the Ireland. (° Ca 1740)
- 1832: Sadi Carnot, Physicist and Engineer French. (° June 1st 1796)
- 1856: William Buckland, geologist and British paleontologist . (° March 12th 1784)
- 1861: Pierre Berthier, mineralogist and geologist French. (° July 3rd 1782)
- 1883: Henri d' Artois, known under the names of duke of Bordeaux , then of “ count de Chambord ” and of “ Henri V ”. (° September 29th 1820)
- 1966: Tadeusz Bór-Komorowski, general Polish (° June 1st 1895)
- 2007: Andree P. Boucher, mairess of the town of Quebec (° January 31st 1937)
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
- Barthelemy: translation in 580 of its relics in Lipari (Western date).
Beats-smg: Rogpjūtė 24 Be-X-old: 24 жніўня Fiu-vro: 24. põimukuu päiv Nds-nl: 24 augustus Simple: August 24 Zh-yue: 8 月 24 號
|Random links:||EMac | Big lake of the Bear | Park of Paris-Bercy | Rolf Singer | Yvonne Hagnauer|