The August 20th is the 232e Jour of the Année (233e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier.
1 to 1900
- 917 : Battle of Anchialos: The tsar Siméon I of Bulgaria invades the Thrace and the of them Byzantine expels.
- 1083 : Canonization of the king Etienne Ier of Hungary by the Pope Gregoire VII.
- 1320 : The Pape Jean XXII fulminates a bubble by which the monks of holy Theudère will have from now on as an abbot the archbishop of Vienna.
- 1297 : Battle of Furnes: The army of king de France led by Robert II of Artois gains a victory over the Flemish troops.
- 1648 : Battle of Lens: end of the Thirty year old War.
- 1828 : First representation of the opera the Count Ory of Gioacchino Rossini with Paris.
- 1833 : Revolt slaves with the the United States led by Nat Turner.
- 1953 : deposition of King Mohammed V by the authorities of French protectorate to the Morocco directed by the Guillaume general. A serious deterioration of the free-Morrocans ratios follows.
- 1955 : Insurrection of Constantinois (1955). 12.000 dead.
- 1960 : The Senegal leaves the Fédération of Mali and declares its independence.
- 1968 : Entry of the Soviet tanks with Prague: 200.000 soldiers and 5000 tanks put a term at the Printemps of Prague.
- 1972 : With Palma de Majorque (Spain, Balearic Islands), alternate of Roberto Domínguez, Spanish Matador.
- 1975 : NASA lance the space probe Viking 1 towards Mars.
- 1977 : NASA lance the space probe To travel 2.
- 1991 : More than 100.000 people express in Soviet Union to be opposed to the coup d'etat against Mikhail Gorbachev.
- 1993 : After secret negotiations in Norway, signature of the Agreements of Oslo between Israelis and Palestinians.
- 1998 : The Supreme court of Canada statue that the Quebec cannot make its independence without the agreement of the government canadian.
- 1998 : The army states-unienne bombards with missiles of the camps supposed of Al-Qaeda and a suspect chemical plant with the Sudan after the attacks of the August 7th against the embassies of the E. - U. with the Kenya and in Tanzania.
- 2004 : Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba becomes again Prime Minister for the Bhutan.
- 1085 or 1086: Boleslas III the Stop-Chest, duke of Poland
- 1601: Pierre de Fermat, mathematician French. († January 12th 1665)
- 1625: Thomas Crow: French writer. († December 8th 1709)
- 1710: Thomas Simpson: Mathematician († May 14th 1761)
- 1757: Jean-Baptiste Cyrus de Timbrune de Thiembronne, general French
- 1812: Bernardo Gaviño, Spanish Matador († February 11th 1886).
- 1831 : Eduard Suess, Austrian geologist († April 26th 1914)
- 1833: Benjamin Harrison, president of the the United States of 1889 to 1893. († March 13rd 1901)
- 1860: Raymond Poincaré, President of the French Republic of 1913 to 1920. († October 15th 1934)
- 1890: H.P. Lovecraft, American writer , precursor of the Science fiction († March 15th 1937)
- 1901: Salvatore Low Sunday, writer Italy N, Nobel Prize of literature in 1959. († June 14th 1968)
- 1918: Sarbini Sumawinata, economist Indonesia N. († March 13rd 2007).
- 1926 : Hocine Has Ahmed, politician Algerian.
- 1936 : Hideki Shirakawa, chemist Japan board, Nobel Prize of chemistry (2000)
- 1937: Jose Shine Cantero (known under the nickname of El Fary ), popular singer and Spanish actor . († June 19th 2007).
- 1938 : Christian Jean-Wolf, first French spationaut
- 1944: Rajiv Gandhi, Indian politician, Prime Minister for the India of 1984 to 1989 († May 21st 1991)
- 1946: Laurent Fabius, French politician, former Prime Minister (1984-1986).
- 1948 : Robert Plant, singer of the group of Hard rock Led Zeppelin
- 1959: Patrick Lo Giudice, Swiss artist.
- 1968 : Abdelatif Benazzi, international French of Rugby
- 1970: John Carmack, American programmer
- 1975: Jose Tomás (Jose Tomás Román Martín), Spanish Matador .
- 1976 : Anaïs, French singer
- 1980: Mayra Veronica, cuban singer
- 1982: Gary Lugassy, tennis player
- 2003: The prince Gabriel of Belgium.
- 985 : Jean XIV, born Pierre Canepanova, Pope.
- 1153 : Bernard de Clairvaux: French monk and reformer (° 1090).
- 1260 : Jaromar II, prince of Rügen.
- 1823 : Black and white VII, born Barnaba Chiaramonti, Pope (° August 14th 1742).
- 1887 : Jules Laforgue, Poet French (° August 16th 1860).
- 1912 : William Booth, Pasteur British methodist , founder of the Salvation Army (° April 10th 1829).
- 1914 : Saint Black and white X, pope, born Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto, (° June 2nd 1835).
- 1915 : Paul Ehrlich, German doctor, one of the founders of the Chemotherapy, Nobel Prize of physiology and medicine of 1908. (° March 14th 1854).
- 1917 : Johann von Baeyer, Nobel Prize of chemistry in 1905. (° October 31st 1835)
- 1961: Percy Williams Bridgman, Nobel Prize of Physics in 1946. (° April 21st 1882).
- 1980 : Joe Dassin, French-speaking singer (° November 5th 1938).
- 1982 : Ulla Jacobsson, Swedish actress (° May 23rd 1929).
- 1986 : Walter Brooke, American actor (° October 13rd 1914).
- 1988 : Paul Aron, writer and philosopher
- 1995: Hugo Pratt, author of cartoon, creator of Corto Maltese. (° June 15th 1927).
- 2001 : Fred Hoyle, British cosmologist (° June 24th 1915).
- 2006 : Claude Blanchard, actor Québécois (° May 19th 1932).
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
- Samuel (11th front century JC), prophet.
- Philibert de Tournus (+ 684), abbot of Jumièges then of Noirmoutier, its tomb is in Tournus.
Catholic saints of the day
- Bernard de Clairvaux (+ 1153), abbot and Doctors of the Church.
Beats-smg: Rogpjūtė 20 Be-X-old: 20 жніўня Fiu-vro: 20. põimukuu päiv Nds-nl: 20 augustus Simple: August 20 Zh-yue: 8 月 20 號
|Random links:||Ajax folds back | Hotel Agrees Lafayette | Chantal Kreviazuk | Beşiktaş Jimnastik Kulübü | Bridges of the Island|