The August 19th is the 231e Jour of the Année (232e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier.
1245 : Died with Aix-en-Provence of Raimond Berenger IV of Provence, count de Provence of 1209 with 1245 and count de Forcalquier of 1242 with 1245. Provence returns to his/her daughter Béatrice (1234 - 1267).
1934 : After the death of the German president Hindenburg the August 2nd, a plebiscite ratifies to 88% (38,4 million “yes” on 45,5 million registered voters) the president's functions and of chancellor: Adolf Hitler takes the title of Reichsführer.
1942 : Attempt at unloading of the Canadians with Dieppe: the Franco-Canadian troops are pushed back.
1954 : Prohibition of the communist party American.
1991 : The Soviet president Mikhail Gorbatchev is victim of a coup d'etat fomented by Communists. Guennadi Ianaev succeeds a time to him, but Boris Ieltsine is opposed to the putschists and rejoins the Army and the population.
- 1646 : John Flamsteed, British astronomer († December 31st 1719).
- 1742 : Jean Dauberval, dancer and choreographer French († February 14th 1806).
- 1746 : Madam of Barry, favorite of Louis XV († February 21st 1793).
- 1753 : Louis Bastoul, general of Empire († January 15th 1801).
- 1780 : Pierre-Jean de Béranger, French chansonnier († July 16th 1857).
- 1845 : Edmond de Rothschild, philanthropist and collector French († November 2nd 1934).
- 1848 : Gustave Caillebotte, French painter. († February 21st 1894).
- 1871 : Orville Wright, American aviator. († January 30th 1948).
- 1883 : Coco Chanel, creative of French mode († January 10th 1971).
- 1891 : , American astronomer († June 18th 1972).
- 1906 : : Co-inventor of the Television († March 11th 1971).
- 1909 : Jerzy Andrzejewski, writer Polish († April 19th 1983)
- 1914: Maurice Bourges-Maunoury, resistant, president of the council.
- 1935 : Story Musgrave, American astronaut.
- 1944 : Jean-François Bizot, writer, journalist and scenario writer French, founder of the Current magazine and of Radio operator Nova . († September 8th 2007).
- 1945 : Ian Gillan, British singer.
- 1946 :
- Charles F. Bolden, American astronaut
- Happy Raaflaub, Swiss leader.
- William Jefferson (known as Bill) Clinton, 42e president of the the United States.
- 1947 : Michel Weyland, draftsman and scenario writer of cartoon Brussels/Belgium.
- 1951 : John Deacon, bass player of the group of Rock'n'roll Queen.
- 1959 : Eric Johnson, guitarist.
- 1962 :
- 1963: Patrick Pelloux, doctor and trade unionist French.
- 1965 : Maria de Medeiros, director.
- 1969: Matthew Perry, American actor .
- 1972 : Cool Fabien, French footballer.
- 1139 : Godefroi Ier de Namur, count de Namur.
- 1245 : Raimond Berenger IV of Provence, count de Provence of 1209 with 1245 and count de Forcalquier of 1242 with 1245.
- 1506 : Aleksander Jagiellończyk I, king of Poland and Large-Duke of Lithuania (° August 5th 1461).
- 1627 : Henri de Talleyrand-Périgord, count de Chalais, French aristocrat, conspirator under Louis XIII.
- 1662 : Blaise Pascal, mathematician and philosopher French. (° June 19th 1623)
- 1819: James Watt, British physicist (° January 19th 1736)
- 1822: Jean-Baptiste Joseph Delambre, Astronomer and Mathematician French (° September 19th 1749)
- 1875: Hermann Wilhelm Ebel, German Philologist, specialist in the Celtic Languages (° May 10th 1820)
- 1887: Spencer Fullerton Baird, ornithologist and American ichtyologist (° February 3rd 1823).
- 1905 : William-Adolphe Bouguereau, painter French (° November 30th 1825).
- 1924 : Ferdinand Horse known as the factor Horse , rural factor and French naive artist (° April 19th 1836)
- 1929: Serge Diaghilev, the inventor (Russian), the organizer and the director of the troop of the Russian Ballets (° March 19th 1872).
- 1936 : Federico Garcia Lorca, poet and Spanish playwright is shot close to Viznar by the pro-Franco civil guard. (° June 5th 1898)
- Isaac Deutscher, journalist, writer and historian Polish (° April 3rd 1907)
- Hugo Gernsback, writer of Science fiction (° August 16th 1884)
- 1968: George Gamow, Russian physicist (° March 4th 1904)
- 1977: Groucho Marx, actor states-unien (° October 2nd 1890)
- 1994: Linus Pauling, chemist, double Nobel Prize (chemistry and peace) (° February 28th 1901)
- 1995: Pierre Schaeffer, type-setter French. (° 1910).
- 2002 : Eduardo Chillida, Spanish sculptor (° January 10th 1924).
- 2005 : Oscar Muller, footballer born Argentinian then naturalized French (° July 28th 1957)
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
- Andre Stratilate (), martyr with the Taurus mount with 2593 companions.
- Mandrien and Flavien of Toulon, martyrs.
- Holy Jean Eudes
- Holy Calmin
Orthodoxe saint of the day
- Pitirim de Perm (1456), bishop.
Beats-smg: Rogpjūtė 19 Be-X-old: 19 жніўня Fiu-vro: 19. põimukuu päiv Nds-nl: 19 augustus Simple: August 19 Zh-yue: 8 月 19 號
|Random links:||Holy-Cross-on-sea | Mariah Carey | Curve of Bézier out of C | Aishiteruze baby | Lovesong (film, 1930) | In Olympia (album)|